Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well it was a couple of years ago i found out that it ads vibrations to the car.
I think it’s worth mentioning from time to time for newcomers (of which I am one, having had my 718 BGTS for just 2 weeks, and having read about, and disabled, the soundaktor on day 2 of ownership): if you are unhappy with the sound/vibration of your 718 f4, seek out the sound thread, where you will learn it takes a total of 30 seconds to disable it by pulling a fuse.
how does the soundaktor work ? I mean, I understood it is a device able to create different sound... just a speaker... but I don't understand how it can create vibrations on the frame...
I am not saying the soundaktor is the source of any particular vibration complaint. But it could be, because of the way it's mounted and and the (IMHO) obnoxious sounds it produces. But it's so easy to disable, it's worth a try to see if it improves the situation. I certainly have no intention of reconnecting mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well pulling the fuse is the easiest and is what I did. And easily reversible too.

It also looks almost as easy to pull the cord from the soundaktor device on the firewall, if pulling the fuse makes you nervous. (AFAIK, no one has reported any problems caused by pulling the fuse; it's pretty well established the soundaktor is the only thing on that circuit. It has been reported that the pulled fuse does show in a dealer's PIWIS diagnostic, and apparently some dealers have replaced the fuse (not a big deal, I think).

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
how does the soundaktor work ? I mean, I understood it is a device able to create different sound... just a speaker... but I don't understand how it can create vibrations on the frame...
It is a tactile transducer, a buttkicker that makes the fire wall, chassi into a speaker.
Porsche changed to a newer model ~ 2019 to a model with a small "trunk" that produces more sound then vibrations.

Old model

New model

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don’t want to hijack the thread, but I am not sure how to move those photos into a new thread, and ask my question, so I will ask this in a way consistent with the OP’s vibration question.

Is the thought that the old soundaktor might be more likely to cause “felt” vibrations, while the new one might be more focused on aural effects? I have a July 2018 build 2019 BGTS. I assume I have the new version (I haven’t looked) and my perception was of “felt” vibrations at low RPM before I disconnected it. I am not motivated to reconnect it to attempt back-to-back testing. I do know that my wife was very sensitive to the effect as a passenger, and actually reported relief once I disconnected it.

Several reviewers mentioned an improvement in the quality of the sound in more recent reviews. I take those comments with a grain of salt, but I suppose that could be due to the change in the soundaktor.

Looking at the photos, it looks like the old soundaktor was all electronic, but the ”pipe” leading into the new one suggests the possibility of “real” input into the device. Does anyone know the principle of operation of the new one?

·
Super Moderator
1,335 Posts
As far as I know the main difference in the new one is the joining of the soundaktor to the control panel and locating the unit on the firewall behind the seats.
Any sound directed at the back of the seats is likely to felt as well as heard. I much prefer mine (old) disconnected as the exhaust becomes more prominent and the 'hash' less.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need to try to get disconnected the soundaktor. Just one question to do it in an easy way: I understand there is Fuse to be ejected, but in a video the fuse box is in the rear right part of the car.
In my MY2017 I have a fuse box located in driver side, bottom left (where the ODBII stands)... is this the place where I can find the Fuse ?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as I know, no.

There are three fuse boxes that I know of: one on each side in the passenger compartment, and the one located in the trunk/boot on the right side. The fuse you want is in the one in the trunk. My car matches the video (Boxster; I think Cayman is similar). Just pull back the top of the carpet ahead of the right tail light. Very easy to do (it's just tucked under the trim). You should see the fuse box right under there, and you want to pull the 7.5 amp fuse at the top right of the fuse box as you look at it (I believe it's position 10 in the top row of the fuse box). In my car, that is the only fuse marked "7.5" in that box.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts