Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2022 718 Spyder 6 speed manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 2022 Spyder with LWBS. I have figured out based on posts and trial/error a method for getting in and out of the driver’s seat without issue. While recently installing a phone mount, I had to get into the passenger seat. Without a steering wheel to hold onto, it wasn’t easy/smooth. I was trying not to put my hands all over the dashboard or use the console cover as a push point. Any suggestions on how to explain to my wife how to get in and out of the LWBS so she wants to go for a ride more often than not? I have been told that this is a problem that I may not want to solve but thought I would ask. I searched threads and forums on here to no avail. Please direct me to an answer if the thread already exists. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

· Registered
4,316 Posts
I have a new to me 2022 Spyder with LWBS. I have figured out based on posts and trial/error a method for getting in and out of the driver’s seat without issue. While recently installing a phone mount, I had to get into the passenger seat. Without a steering wheel to hold onto, it wasn’t easy/smooth. I was trying not to put my hands all over the dashboard or use the console cover as a push point. Any suggestions on how to explain to my wife how to get in and out of the LWBS so she wants to go for a ride more often than not? I have been told that this is a problem that I may not want to solve but thought I would ask. I searched threads and forums on here to no avail. Please direct me to an answer if the thread already exists. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Looking forward to a solution too, as my lovely Bride struggles with this on every ride....and we only have 18-ways.

· Registered
813 Posts
The first thing I do is make sure the seat is as far back as is possible. When getting in the driver side I have found it helpful to get my left foot as close to the door sill as I can with my right foot in the vehicle first and placed as far to the right as I can without stepping on the accelerator pedal. Once it is firmly planted to the floor I turn my body somewhat perpendicular to the vehicle while leaning over away from the vehicle. I use the driver's interior door handle as a support. Turning the body perpendicular to the vehicle allows you to get your hip over the edge of the seat and once aligned with the seat I put my tush into the seat. Then I rotate my body so it is facing forward and lastly I bring my left foot into the car. I've never ridden shotgun but I can't see why this method wouldn't work for the passenger. I've gotten into Porsches GT Clubsports, Ferraris Challenge cars, McLarens, and other model cars with LWBS and it seems to work well for me. At 5'9" and 240lbs I'm not a small guy.

I did find a video from the guy at Obsessed Garage showing a method. I won't share my opinion of his reviewing style but the method is almost identical to what I was trying to explain.

LWBS Entry Method

· Registered
13 Posts
I have a new to me 2022 Spyder with LWBS. I have figured out based on posts and trial/error a method for getting in and out of the driver’s seat without issue. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Go back in time 30 years? I‘m joking. I have the same issue. A guy at my gym has a Lambo - i think the seat is literally like 8 inches from the ground. He’s in his 30s and even he struggles to get in and out of it.

· Registered
Waiting on Cayman S. March delivery.
673 Posts
Look at this video. This is for the driver’s side, but it should be just as easy on the passenger side, since the woman never touches the steering wheel or the dash. Can’t say if this would be harder with the LWBS.

· Registered
394 Posts
Go back in time 30 years? I‘m joking. I have the same issue. A guy at my gym has a Lambo - i think the seat is literally like 8 inches from the ground. He’s in his 30s and even he struggles to get in and out of it.
Lambos are tight. I drove one once, kept hitting the seatback with my elbows while trying to turn the wheel, and I'm only 5' 11".

I sometimes wonder why people buy such track focused options if their car is mostly going to be street driven.

· Registered
2,530 Posts
Let me try to remember. One of the characters in Doonsbury, an associate of Zonker though it might have been he in a previous generation, asked about BLTGQ. I'm sure he meant Bacon/Lettuce/Tomato and Gentleman's Quarterly. I just wondered if that also referred to Porsche seats. Nah, probably not.

FWIW, I get in and out of my Cayman the way it was demonstrated in that video. LWBS's got nuthin' to do with it. It's all about leg flexibility. My knees just don't bend sideways, never did even when I was younger, which was a long time ago.

· Registered
813 Posts
Let me try to remember. One of the characters in Doonsbury, an associate of Zonker though it might have been he in a previous generation, asked about BLTGQ. I'm sure he meant Bacon/Lettuce/Tomato and Gentleman's Quarterly. I just wondered if that also referred to Porsche seats. Nah, probably not.

FWIW, I get in and out of my Cayman the way it was demonstrated in that video. LWBS's got nuthin' to do with it. It's all about leg flexibility. My knees just don't bend sideways, never did even when I was younger, which was a long time ago.
I only have the Sports Seats Plus and it's still the way I get in and out. I realized the first time I was about to drive a Porsche with LWBS that it worked just as well with those. You learn real quick or get hurt trying.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like there is no one way that seems to be best. Will try them out and see what works best. I have some time before spring comes to figure it out.

· Super Moderator
2,504 Posts
The video is pretty good, but...
Ladies:
Remember to sit way back into the car when entering and you can use your hand on the side of the seat back for support or use the interior arm rest or both. The reverse works for exits.

Men:
You also need to sit way back before you sit down and use supports if needed/wanted. Most males put the 'inside' leg in first, sit down and then rotate the 'outside' leg and body to the front. The reverse for exiting.

· Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
1,316 Posts
This second video is a lot better at showing the technique and relative ease of getting in and out of LWBS than the earlier one by "Obsessed Garage". Of course this younger guy looks reasonably fit and athletic, whereas the Obsessed Garage guy looks like the only time he goes jogging is to get to the all-you-can-eat buffet. He sounded like he needed oxygen after getting in and out a couple of times.

To the OP: I sympathize with your wife and the passenger seat - it's a little trickier without a steering wheel. However, my wife mastered it after a handful of drives. My wife is barely 5' tall so although she's fit, getting her feet flat on the ground while exiting took a few tries. But she stopped swearing at me after a month or two.

Do you still have the factory cushions? I have replacement cushions from P1 Design: CustomizeYour Porsche ® Interior with Custom Seat Inserts - P1Designs I ordered the optional memory foam (and lumbar support). You sit slightly higher on the memory foam which makes entry and exit a tiny bit easier. But it's definitely more comfortable once you are in the seat and, combined with the inflatable lumbar support, my wife and I find the LWBS at least as comfortable (and better lateral support) as my old 18-way seats once you are in them.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

I've been tempted to make and post my own video to show that LWBS and qualifying for Medicare are not mutually exclusive. Maybe next weekend.

· Registered
2,530 Posts
Most males put the 'inside' leg in first, sit down and then rotate the 'outside' leg and body to the front.
That's how we used to enter a big sedan with bench seats. Step into the car with the inside foot, slide the butt in sideways, lift the other foot over the sill and place it in the footwell. That just doesn't work so well with the seats and headroom so low. One learns to adapt.

Reactions: RobertM

· Registered
2021 Boxster PDK
669 Posts
I think the LW refers to a Light Weight person as opposed to a light weight seat. If you are Overweight, the seats will be a struggle. Notice how easy it is to get in and out when you are spry and in your twenties. LOL Moral of the story is if you are a [email protected]$$, you need a buckboard seat. I get into my SportPlus 18 ways by setting my @$$ down on the seat and swinging my legs in. I'm not overweight, but at 73 and a knee replacement, this is the best way for me. Reverse order to get out. ;) 😊:ROFLMAO:

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Scroll to 2 mins 43
Crazy Eddie should use this video as marketing material for his bolster covers.

I actually think this move (getting as perpendicular as possible) and using the door sill with your hand will work well and allow you to not put as much wear/pressure on the bolsters.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts