Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the Xmas break, I was playing around with my PCM (Cayman S 2017) - I selected the UK maps update from the Online Updates.

After the update, my GoogleMaps fails to load, I've carried out a hard reset and also a custom hand-over reset which wipes the PCM. Google maps still fails to load.

I do have other online services on my PCM. I know I can use CarPlay to gain access to similar maps, but I did like the in-built maps option!

Anyone had a similar issue or any advice? I was going to call my local Porsche garage to see if this covered under Porsche connect - which I have a years subscription for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not to do anything with update.

Google maps stopped for VW brands on 31.12.2020.
VW and Google agreement expired.
Audi has gotten the firmware updates to switch to HERE brand.
For Porsche we still await good news.
If it comes to Porsche,I will do shootout on the forums.

·
Registered
833 Posts
But if you have Nav you still have built-in maps, right? Is there somewhere I can read more about this? I would think that if Porsche was going to take away a feature we're paying for they would at least tell us.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here's a good post with some details, apparently we might have some sort of an update in a few months.

They should comp us those months. Generally speaking I haven't used that feature - the built in regular maps still work, right? It's more of a problem for folks with that big wide screen in the Macan and whatnot because I guess CarPlay looks odd on that screen.

I have Nav for a backup if I'm in an area with no signal - something that happens when you go for a drive in the hills sometimes. But if I'm in an area with coverage I usually use Waze, especially now that it supports the cool CarPlay multi-screen thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not to do anything with update.

Many thanks - I did a quick google and did not find anything. Is there an official statement from Porsche on it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But if you have Nav you still have built-in maps, right? Is there somewhere I can read more about this? I would think that if Porsche was going to take away a feature we're paying for they would at least tell us.
Yes - but you have to click on the Google Map layer to switch it off, otherwise it can just "hang" when you try to use it. To switch off, press the control knob. (Right from the Volume Knob) and scroll down to Google Maps. Then press the Control Knob to turn off.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Had an appointment for this and before I could take it in the dealer called and said not to bother because it's an issue on Porsche's end. The real problem is my PCM is stuck in an update that won't complete and the entire maps/NAV are completely bricked. I absolutely expect to be refunded or comped in some way, part of getting a car with this for my wife was so it would make things easier for her. The option for NAV was not cheap and then you have the added services you have to pay for... PlSS Poor move on Porsche's part.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Spinning wheel is all I get... a while back It was doing the updated then stopped during install. Since then it's just a loading screen. Maybe I should try a Reset like mentioned above? How do you do the reset?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Hm, my google maps still works.
I will check deeper later tonight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is your google earth working ?
It is since some days it is not working anymore....
All the other google services (ie online search) are working...

4G connection is up and running ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Is your google earth working ?
It is since some days it is not working anymore....
All the other google services (ie online search) are working...

4G connection is up and running ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have only checked that it started in Car play and it did.
We have alot of snow today so i did not take my time to check it.
But i will do first thing tomorrow!

·
Registered
197 Posts
To do a PCM hard boot press the volume button until the Porsche logo comes back on. Mine did this after a map update. I did a hard reset and it restarted with the new map update installed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does google maps work with it? As mentioned, I've done a hard reset and customer hand over wipe and still no joy. Getting mixed messages about if or not this is a wider Porsche problem!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts