Porsche 718 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of long, I returned a '18 GTS manual and now on the hunt for one with PDK. There is one near me for $80K, 2019 GTS CPO with PDK and pretty much fully loaded. I'm just afraid that it will depreciate much more when the new GTS 4.0 gets released. I realize I am not that far apart from the new GTS when stripped out; however, I want the turbo motor for the tune-ability and more power.

Thoughts on whether or not value will drop very soon?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Used car.... it will drop. Flip side is its CPO and you get many many smiles per worry free miles.

I know it's hard to do, but if this is a keeper car you've got to let go of the value aspect.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used car.... it will drop. Flip side is its CPO and you get many many smiles per worry free miles.

I know it's hard to do, but if this is a keeper car you've got to let go of the value aspect.
But do you think will it drop quicker when the new GTS is released?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
IMO... No, there's plenty of people like you that want the Turbo over the NA. I don't think it's going to have much affect. Plus... who knows when they will start delivering the 4.0, could be a long wait for some!

Some will tell you other wise, but the fact is that it's a used car now and the biggest depreciation has already happened.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My understanding is the 4.0 is a long way off from hitting the ground.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My understanding is the 4.0 is a long way off from hitting the ground.
I'm hearing 12-14 months before deliveries start in US.
I do think it's going to effect the value of the 2.5T GTS. On the other hand, the 4.0 GTS will cost more money and I doubt that you'll be able to get one initially, if ever, with any or much of a discount. What you want to do depends on why you're buying the car and how much its value in 2-5 years is important to you. Bought mine as a 1 year old CPO with very low miles, and I bought it to drive it, and don't have an intention to sell it in a few years; but that's not everyone's plan.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Most all cars are a depreciating asset, so don't worry about it holding its value. Buy whatever brings you happiness and worry about what it's worth when you're ready to move on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In the big scheme of things you have to consider what does it matter if residuals do suffer. I may be naive but SA clearly stated to me on a number occasions that the 4.0 litre engines are limited in terms of supply. This could be a result for us 2.5 owners, in as much as there simply aren't that many Cayman's out there in the first place. Long term people are just going to have to test drive what's available and decide which way they want to jump.

I reckon next incarnation of 718 will be hybrid at the minimum, but more likely fully electric, and most likely significantly more expensive than they are now. This again could be good news for relatively still new (by then) Cayman owners.

Life's short, enjoy the time now - its no dress rehearsal...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
315 Posts
Pure

Seems like you need to take some deep breaths

Within about a two week period you started a thread on replacing your RS3 . . . decided upon a CPO 718 and indicated it was the best car you ever owned . . . started another thread indicating you discovered your used vehicle had some imperfections that you could only see at certain angles and in certain light . . . now started yet another thread indicating you returned the vehicle and on prowl for a CPO 718 with PDK, but concerned about depreciation when the next 718 is released.

Did I miss anything?

The GTS 4.0 will not be a turbo, which you state you want. The GTS 4.0 is being released as MT only, which you also clearly do not want. Depreciation is an inevitable part of any car purchase, but is the 4T depreciation you inquire about really relevant given you are not even interested in what the GTS 4.0 has to offer? It is not as though you would be looking to trade the 4T in to get the GTS 4.0.

AVM

·
Registered
376 Posts
Part of what catalyzed me to make this highly-optioned Cayman S buy is that life is short. Don't die with a fantastic wine collection.

Another thought: I heard great things about the Taycan driving experience. Compare that to complaints about sound with the 718. The 718 is a perceived sound downgrade, but driving performance upgrade. Taycan is a big boost in performance with obliteration of sound. I like viewing the 718 as an optimal medium.

Also, the Taycan weighs around 4700-5100 pounds, vs about 3000 pounds for the Cayman. ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well
Pure

Seems like you need to take some deep breaths

Within about a two week period you started a thread on replacing your RS3 . . . decided upon a CPO 718 and indicated it was the best car you ever owned . . . started another thread indicating you discovered your used vehicle had some imperfections that you could only see at certain angles and in certain light . . . now started yet another thread indicating you returned the vehicle and on prowl for a CPO 718 with PDK, but concerned about depreciation when the next 718 is released.

Did I miss anything?

The GTS 4.0 will not be a turbo, which you state you want. The GTS 4.0 is being released as MT only, which you also clearly do not want. Depreciation is an inevitable part of any car purchase, but is the 4T depreciation you inquire about really relevant given you are not even interested in what the GTS 4.0 has to offer? It is not as though you would be looking to trade the 4T in to get the GTS 4.0.

AVM
Well said. I don't get it either. It's like a bad tv show with too many sub-plots.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Baka is right in principle but I disagree with the arithmetic. In a decade the value will likely be in the 25% range using history as a guide. Might be higher if the shift from ICE to electric changes the market.

AVM and CaymanMatt hit the nail on the head - OP is all over the place with angst. Buy a 718 and enjoy it or not. Staring at it in the garage and returning it for microscopic imperfections tells me he won't be happy with the next one either. It appears to just be a strong reaction to the natural buyer's remorse that everyone experiences to some degree after a large discretionary purchase. BTW, his insistence on CPO is moot. The mods he's planning will void the warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Short of long, I returned a '18 GTS manual and now on the hunt for one with PDK. There is one near me for $80K, 2019 GTS CPO with PDK and pretty much fully loaded. I'm just afraid that it will depreciate much more when the new GTS 4.0 gets released. I realize I am not that far apart from the new GTS when stripped out; however, I want the turbo motor for the tune-ability and more power.

Thoughts on whether or not value will drop very soon?
Took delivery of my Boxster 718 GTS here in Germany last June, now have only 1400km on it and after reading a report on the new GTS 4.0 asked my dealer Porsche Centre Mannheim (owned by Penske) to quote me on the new car with same option spec. They quoted me an exchange cost of €43000 (US$47,503). That's criminal for a car that's only 8 months old with 870 miles on the clock. I contacted Porsche to complain, their answer? basically "you bought it, we don't guarantee resale values, tough luck.
My advise: STAY AWAY FROM PORSCHE!

·
Registered
315 Posts
My advise: STAY AWAY FROM PORSCHE!
Why?

Are you suddenly unhappy with your 718?

Did you think your car was going to hold its value? The very second you drive your new vehicle off the lot it becomes used and you take the biggest depreciation hit per unit time the vehicle will ever take.

The depreciation is in no way unique to Porsche, and I disagree strongly with your recommendation to 'stay away from Porsche' because of depreciation hit our vehicles - all vehicles - take when driving them off the lot.

I like new and shiny objects as much as the next sport car enthusiast, but I think it is well-established that the best 'bang for your dollar' comes with a slightly broken in CPO where the initial owner took the original and biggest depreciation hit.

If you think about it, nobody ever owns a 'new car.'

AVM

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's criminal for a car that's only 8 months old with 870 miles on the clock.
What is criminal is you are doing about 100 miles per month on a Porsche.
You can't buy a new car and expect good resale value 8 months later. The second you commit to buying that car you lose any tax associated with the purchase, instant depreciation as it is no longer a new car and the dealers profit margin.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Not much experience with fast women either I assume. They cost a lot and their presence is short and fleeting...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Not to mention their long term value...:eek: (Residual?...:whistle:).

Seriously now, the 718 GTS or not is a low numbers, mass produced car. Not a limited edition, likely not destined to be a classic. However, it will be a classic value for the owners who understand it for what it is. Sort of like the 914 or the 944 turbo, possibly slightly better if the next iteration is an EV rather than a hybrid (as I expect it to be, a hybrid that is).

As I have said many times before, in 2018 I set out to buy a 911 MT. A CPO that is. Expecting to get a 2016. Because, in my humble opinion, that is the sweet spot of value for such a car. I eventually bought a 2018 Cayman S PDK. CPO with 11k mi. Its price reflected a discount accounting for (some of) dealer's profit, out the door depreciation and 10 months of prior ownership. A 28% reduction from the sticker price.

Do I care about depreciation?

No, not at all! I'll drive it untill the doors fall off!... If, at one stage, I can't drive it any longer, I'll pass it on to my son.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.