Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Cayman GTS
19 Posts
This thread has sent me on a roller coaster of emotion. I just joined and, as I posted in the new member intro section, I have ordered a 718 Cayman that is slated for delivery by the end of July (originally for June, but Porsche says the chip shortage is pushing it back). I was planning to ask the forum if maybe Porsche had a habit of under promising and over delivering so that I might be pleasantly surprised by an earlier delivery date. Your first post gave me hope. But then my hopes were dashed. Now that it’s May 1, are you still waiting?
You have to remember we are in a difficult time right now with the pandemic; something that has never happened before and is still ongoing. My SA sent me an email that I am finally locked in with an expected delivery in July but if it’s pushed further away, I will totally understand as it sure is beyond our control.

I hope you get your car soon, I understand the anticipation as I am just as excited as you are, just have to be patient :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Yes. The dealer assured me he was "looking for it on every truck that arrived". The car did arrive. I know that not because the dealer called but rather because about noon on the 29th I received an email from Sirus/XM radio congratulating me on buying a new car and advising they had added it to my existing account. I texted the dealer who confirmed the car was there. They say I should be able to pick it up "Tuesday or Wednesday". I asked him on Thursday to email me copy of the window sticker. He said he would that day or today (as he was off Friday). At 12:30PM still no email and I am not holding my breath this afternoon. The purchase of the car in early January was so easy. The gentleman I was working with was low drama and easy to work with. I got a 5% discount and good trade value. Overall a fair deal. The anticipation for me was fine but the final stretch now has been a little but of a disappointment although on the scale of disappointments in life I suppose this is at the very low end! - B

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have to remember we are in a difficult time right now with the pandemic; something that has never happened before and is still ongoing. My SA sent me an email that I am finally locked in with an expected delivery in July but if it’s pushed further away, I will totally understand as it sure is beyond our control.

I hope you get your car soon, I understand the anticipation as I am just as excited as you are, just have to be patient :)
All very true. It’s also somewhat my own fault for wanting a few rare options, especially the Burmester stereo system. If I didn’t want the Burmester system so badly I probably could have found an acceptable vehicle in stock somewhere by now. Oh well, we can sympathize with each other during our waits!

Yes. The dealer assured me he was "looking for it on every truck that arrived". The car did arrive at the dealer probably on the 4/28. I know that not because the dealer called but rather because about noon on the 29th I received an email from Sirus/XM radio congratulating me on buying a new car and advising they had added it to my existing account. I texted the dealer who confirmed the car was there. They say I should be able to pick it up "Tuesday or Wednesday". I asked him on Thursday to email me copy of the window sticker. He said he would that day or today (as he was off Friday). At 12:30PM still no email and I am not holding my breath this afternoon. The purchase of the car in early January was so easy. The gentleman I was working with was low drama and easy to work with. I got a 5% discount and good trade value. Overall a fair deal which is about all you can ask for with these cars I think. Unfortunately he left for greener pastures I guess so now I was shifted to someone else. A friend of mine suggested since the car will be at the dealership for almost a week I ask for the odometer reading. The anticipation for me was fine but the final stretch now has been a disappointment although on the scale of disappointments in life I suppose this is at the very low end! B
Wow, it must be especially frustrating to be so near yet still so far! Hope you get it very soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts

DaisyDee, it looks like we are in the same boat...hurry up and wait...waiting...

·
Super Moderator
1,821 Posts
I was planning to ask the forum if maybe Porsche had a habit of under promising and over delivering so that I might be pleasantly surprised by an earlier delivery date.
Porsche does usually under promise and over deliver. (My car arrived a week early even though the ship made an unscheduled stop for two days!) The issue is that they also use a JIT (just in time) delivery system for items they don't manufacture themselves and failures in the supply chain are common right now 'cause of the zombies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Porsche does usually under promise and over deliver. (My car arrived a week early even though the ship made an unscheduled stop for two days!) The issue is that they also use a JIT (just in time) delivery system for items they don't manufacture themselves and failures in the supply chain are common right now 'cause of the zombies.
Thats good to know! Maybe I’ll get lucky. I did already feel the effects of one zombie supply chain disruption—it prevented me from adding the extended range fuel tank to my build.

·
Super Moderator
1,821 Posts
Thats good to know! Maybe I’ll get lucky. I did already feel the effects of one zombie supply chain disruption—it prevented me from adding the extended range fuel tank to my build.
It's the same reason that you can't specify what tyres you'll get. You get what the latest truck delivered.
Hope it all works out for you all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes. The dealer assured me he was "looking for it on every truck that arrived". The car did arrive at the dealer probably on the 4/28. I know that not because the dealer called but rather because about noon on the 29th I received an email from Sirus/XM radio congratulating me on buying a new car and advising they had added it to my existing account. I texted the dealer who confirmed the car was there. They say I should be able to pick it up "Tuesday or Wednesday". I asked him on Thursday to email me copy of the window sticker. He said he would that day or today (as he was off Friday). At 12:30PM still no email and I am not holding my breath this afternoon. The purchase of the car in early January was so easy. The gentleman I was working with was low drama and easy to work with. I got a 5% discount and good trade value. Overall a fair deal which is about all you can ask for with these cars I think. Unfortunately he left for greener pastures I guess so now I was shifted to someone else. A friend of mine suggested since the car will be at the dealership for almost a week I ask for the odometer reading. The anticipation for me was fine but the final stretch now has been a disappointment although on the scale of disappointments in life I suppose this is at the very low end! B
I'm hoping you picked it up today! If not hopefully tomorrow - sorry to hear it's dragged on. All will be well with the world once you sit in your beautiful new car and start that engine!! Keep us posted, Cheers! (By the way - you working with Porsche Norwell?)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
yes I should be able to pick it up after work on Wed I expect. Im hoping they can send me a cost breakdown ahead so I can get a bank check ahead and make this a simple and fast process.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes. The dealer assured me he was "looking for it on every truck that arrived". The car did arrive. I know that not because the dealer called but rather because about noon on the 29th I received an email from Sirus/XM radio congratulating me on buying a new car and advising they had added it to my existing account. I texted the dealer who confirmed the car was there. They say I should be able to pick it up "Tuesday or Wednesday". I asked him on Thursday to email me copy of the window sticker. He said he would that day or today (as he was off Friday). At 12:30PM still no email and I am not holding my breath this afternoon. The purchase of the car in early January was so easy. The gentleman I was working with was low drama and easy to work with. I got a 5% discount and good trade value. Overall a fair deal. The anticipation for me was fine but the final stretch now has been a little but of a disappointment although on the scale of disappointments in life I suppose this is at the very low end! - B
To update this I did call the manager on Wed after no call by 2pm and all issues were resolved in 2 minutes. Its just a communication issue that could be improved but for me solving a problem quickly without drama is the most important thing. I was sent a review by Porsche and I am giving the Dealer a positive review. So no worries

21 - 30 of 30 Posts