Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before i decided på buy a Cayman after my Boxster went to Porsche Heaven i spammed the forum with questions.
So i am creating this thread instead with the answers for my questions, it might help others if they search the forum.
And also since the other car had alot of goodies this doesent have.

The Car - Cayman S

S-Pasm
Right now i have 19" snow tires and the ride are way better then i could imagine.
Depending on how the 20" summer tires behaves they will be changed to 19"
Compared to PASM the rides in not that much stiffer, it gives you a better feel for the car IMHO.

PTV
I havent realy tried to push the car out of corners yet but it turns in better then the Boxster that did not have PTV.
And i can realy feel how the back end moves to align the front in to corners.
I have to see how much brake ware the tourqe vectoring causes but its Worth it!
And on snow, i LOVE the diff!

Standard Bi Xenon vs PDLS
I have asked my dealer if i can retro fit PDLS cause they are way better in the dark.
Dont make that mistake not to include them!

Sport Design Package
Looks Awful on pics, looks realy good Irl.
But you loose 1cm in ride height so with S-Pasm thats gonna be 3cm.
My only concern there are not road bumps but to much snow on the road.

Connect vs Connect+
I guess that if your used to Porsche Nav Google Maps feels a bit out dated at first but after a couple of days it feels Ok.
But i liked the way the Nav worked when it popped up in the smal display.

Lane shift assistent
At first it feels good to have it but i was starting to get lazy on the highway and did not have the same eye for the traffic around me.
So i dont miss it!

PSE
Im like 15 years old driving around in Sport Mode making alot of noise and bangs >:D
I still havent looked if the car have the Sound aktor but if its there its not as Brutal as in the Boxster.

Well i have now, the difference in the Boxster was big, no more strange rumble and more true Engine/exhaust sound.
In the Cayman the rumble in it self is not that bad and without the Sound Aktor in Normal mode the car is realy quite.
When in Sport mode there is no more sound/rumble produced inside the car, you can realy tell that you have the Engine behind your back.
The Sound Aktor are better integrated in the Cayman for sure, its more like a moderate change and in the Boxster its a relife to turn it off.

Rear Camera
Nah, dont miss it for a bit!
Proximity sensors are enough for me.

Design lighting
Same as above, dont care about it.

*edit*
More info on the Sound Aktor

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/car/winter-plt/contiwintercontact-ts-830-p

The rims i bought are black matte and if i choose to go from 20" to 19" for the summer tires i gonna buy one more set.
It took me awhile to find a good size and the front Wheel are nearly aligned with the body.
And the rear sits a bit further in, so spacers on the rear on the summer set gonna look nice :)

i will post pics on what i mean så everybody understands :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Regarding the winter tires - I've got the same winter tires - 19" as well. We had snow the other day, just a few inches, and I drove home from work in it. No problems at all. The car didn't slide or anything. I didn't push hard, but got no brake lock up, and as long as I wasn't overly aggressive with the throttle no wheel spin under acceleration either. On the other hand, my wife's VW Tiguan which has all weather tires was sliding a lot under braking. Just shows how much of a difference tires make - and a great car under them as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
johan said:
Lane shift assistent
At first it feels good to have it but i was starting to get lazy on the highway and did not have the same eye for the traffic around me.
So i dont miss it!
Many thanks Johan for all your valuable insights, and especially about the Lane Change Assist feature. When I ordered my Boxster I could not justify an extra $700 for this, even though the Boxster has worse blind spots than the Cayman. I may just try stick-on convex mirrors like these. Perhaps in the future there will be an aftermarket 360 degree radar with a head-up display ;-)

·
892 Posts
PTV[/B]
I havent realy tried to push the car out of corners yet but it turns in better then the Boxster that did not have PTV.
And on snow, i LOVE the diff![/QUOTE]

I probably have one of the most highly specced examples of a Boxster S on the planet, but if I was buying another then PTV is the only additional option I'd have fitted that my current car hasn't got (I'd also drop Porsche connect+ if I had the choice but unfortunately it's standard in the U.K).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Many thanks Johan for all your valuable insights, and especially about the Lane Change Assist feature. When I ordered my Boxster I could not justify an extra $700 for this, even though the Boxster has worse blind spots than the Cayman. I may just try stick-on convex mirrors like these. Perhaps in the future there will be an aftermarket 360 degree radar with a head-up display ;-)
:)
First i was suprised and then i got pissed on myself for letting my guard down.

PTV[/B]
And on snow, i LOVE the diff!
I probably have one of the most highly specced examples of a Boxster S on the planet, but if I was buying another then PTV is the only additional option I'd have fitted that my current car hasn't got (I'd also drop Porsche connect+ if I had the choice but unfortunately it's standard in the U.K).[/QUOTE]

Connect+ aint that bad but if its included the price goes up.
In Sweden you get absolutly nothing extra

And PTV, i searched for info on it and everybody said its a track thing.
Thats mayby right but there is a feel in the car that was totaly new for me when i enter corners in a Little higher speed then normal.
Cant wait to track it :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PDLS
We cant retrofitt PDLS so now i have the idea to put something like this on the car, without ruining the looks of the car.
There are like thousands of different designs and i guess it could be fitted where the center radiator would be.

Mooses, beware cause now i can make you blind!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WTF......

It looks as my Cayman have a center radiator insted of the plastic fill?
Could be because of the Sport Design Package or tracked prep?
I need to call my dealer!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well the dealer could not give any extra info :(
The third coolor should be fitted to cars in Super hot climate.

The thing is that when the first buyer specced the car it arrived with a couple of things that where wrong.
So they had to order a new one with the same spec and it arrived as it should.

And when the dealer looks it up the it says for example that it has Agate interior but its Saddle Brown!!
Could it be that simple that Porsche did a mistake and shipped the cars to wrong place?

Im gonna take the car to my local Porsche Center and ask them.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just rub it in ;)
But the worst is yet to come.
Mid February then it starts to get realy cold, even wolves and IceBears are using clothes....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, Sport Design is included with GTS, you can see the center opening at :50 of the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RdTa_Jc7iI
The dealer i bought the car from (Porsche Stockholm) could not find any info on that an S with sport design package would have the third radiator.
As i mention Before something went wrong when the order was placed for the car, it could be that or that you get the third radiator with SDP but Porsche does not tell you.
Im going to my local Porsche center on friday i Think and see what they say.

·
892 Posts
The dealer i bought the car from (Porsche Stockholm) could not find any info on that an S with sport design package would have the third radiator.
As i mention Before something went wrong when the order was placed for the car, it could be that or that you get the third radiator with SDP but Porsche does not tell you.
Im going to my local Porsche center on friday i Think and see what they say.
Careful, knowing Porsche dealers if it wasn't supposed to be fitted but actually is then they're very likely to try & charge you extra. ;)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Careful, knowing Porsche dealers if it wasn't supposed to be fitted but actually is then they're very likely to try & charge you extra. ;)

:D
No wonder Porsche are doing a lot of money!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to say that those radiators are awfully exposed to stone damage. I'm not a big fan of the standard design but that's far worse.

The center radiator sits further in then one might Think.
I have 3 radiators on my 986 and they have the same placement and after 17 years they are stil in Ok shape.
And that car have been my Daily drive and my track car :)

·
892 Posts
The center radiator sits further in then one might Think.
I have 3 radiators on my 986 and they have the same placement and after 17 years they are stil in Ok shape.
And that car have been my Daily drive and my track car :)
Perhaps your roads are just in better shape than ours. I've already mentioned numerous times that roads in our locality leave a lot to be desired & the rads on my 981 were quite battered from small stones impacts.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well we do pay alot of taxes in Sweden and i must say our roads are mainly in very good condition :)
To drive around with (S-)Pasm in sport mode is not a problem at all, at least in the South of Sweden where i live.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts