Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel type and colour seems to be a fairly regular topic on the forum. Some colours are pretty easy to match with a corresponding wheel and colour combination, others less so. Based on my numerous configuration options I would say Miami Blue falls in the latter camp.

Generally i'm not a fan of dark wheels with dark paint and feel that dark wheels work best with lighter colours. Miami Blue however is neither light nor dark, like Racing Yellow and Lava Orange it's just bold. So what is your preferred wheel style and colour to go with Miami Blue and why?

I've gone through just about every configuration possible and think i've finally settled on what I want but don't want to share it with you yet as I don't want to colour your suggestions. Feel free to add pics if you want.

EDIT: I have just noticed that a lot of posts get moved from this section. I chose not to post this in the Wheels & Tyres section as that is sub-section of the Tech & Performance section [anyone else think this forum may have too many sections?] and I felt this was a more general question about colour options. Feel free to move it you you want though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ordered a GTS in Miami blue and it comes with black wheels and I like it. A lot of the exterior is also blacked out in the GTS model.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Again, we are talking personal preference, but as I have stated many times I feel the Porsche standard color/silver wheels look real good with Miami Blue. I would go to a few dealerships in your area see if you can find a MB car specced with and without the black wheels........here is mine.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
I agree with Porsche2018's recommendation to try and have a look at a real car. The photos just don't do any of the combinations justice.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am (supposedly, if Porsche can be bothered to build it) getting a Miami Blue Boxster S. Don't like black wheels (or cars, or motorcycles, or guitars). I originally configured my car with the essentially shiny Carrera Classics. I figured, Miami blue is so out there, lets commit 100% and go for these funky wheels (I was also considering the Graphite Blue/Chalk Sportex at the time).

Then, I thought, that doesn't look like a serious sports car in a nice bold color; it looks like a frivolous sports car. So I decided to anchor it somewhat in a traditional sports car with the more traditional Carrera S wheels.

In my case, the interior came into play - I've gone with the Chalk/Black full leather. On top of that, I went for aluminum look roll bars. So there's some light, shiny stuff coming out the top of the car. I felt that the standard finish Carrera S, on that car, once again made things a little too light-hearted and happy. Too shiny. I wanted at least one dark, serious, threatening looking detail the transmit the car's bona fides, if you will. So - went with platinum satin. Split the difference.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
EDIT: I have just noticed that a lot of posts get moved from this section. I chose not to post this in the Wheels & Tyres section as that is sub-section of the Tech & Performance section [anyone else think this forum may have too many sections?] and I felt this was a more general question about colour options. Feel free to move it you you want though.
Fundamentally the question is about wheels, though.

Since many members have confessed to using the "NEW POSTS" function, topical semantics don't come into play as much for continuing conversations among forum regulars, which is what it sounds like you're after, OP. For new members and 'lurkers' unfamiliar with the day-to-day flow of the forum, topical categorization is very important to keep things as easy to find and follow as possible.

For everyone: When starting a thread, please ask yourself this question: "What is my question or comment basically about?" If it's wheels, post it in the Wheels and Tires subforum. If it's leasing, post it in the Porsche 718 Dealers, Pricing, and Ordering subforum. If it's what weight of oil should I put into my car in Texas, post it in the Oils, Fluids, Fuel, Additives And Lubrications subforum. And so on ...

... though with that said, there are 'borderline' topics. Example: If your question is, 'What torque do I tighten the engine oil drain plug bolt to?', you could theoretically put that in Oils, Fluids, Fuel, Additives And Lubrications, Service And Maintenance, or Engine and Technical Discussion. Use your best judgment. If the thread goes in a specific direction that makes one subtopic a more clear place for the thread than the others, we mods will move it. 0:)

Don't overthink it, y'all. Ask yourself what the question or comment is fundamentally about, and post in the most appropriate topical subforum. Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I too want a Miami Blue 718. I am strongly leaning toward gloss black wheels. I saw a Miami Blue 718 in Austin at the JW Marriott at the Formula One Grand Prix in Austin in October 2017. It was awesome!! I just can't recall the color of the wheels.

So the advice of seeing them in person is spot on. Don't have regrets when you see the color combo you really want on another car later!

·
Registered
303 Posts
As you can see from the pic below my Miami Blue Cayman has black wheels with little silver bits on it. Don't know what the correct Porsche spec is. But my all time favourite wheels are on my old Boxster which is parked in front of the Cayman. I would have these wheels (in Sliver) on every Porsche if I had my way.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
As you can see from the pic below my Miami Blue Cayman has black wheels with little silver bits on it. Don't know what the correct Porsche spec is. But my all time favourite wheels are on my old Boxster which is parked in front of the Cayman. I would have these wheels (in Sliver) on every Porsche if I had my way.

The silver accents improve the look over the full black coated wheel; the contrast makes a difference. The full black coated wheel just looks dirty and is distracting, in my opinion, even under the best of circumstances.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am (supposedly, if Porsche can be bothered to build it) getting a Miami Blue Boxster S. Don't like black wheels (or cars, or motorcycles, or guitars). I originally configured my car with the essentially shiny Carrera Classics. I figured, Miami blue is so out there, lets commit 100% and go for these funky wheels (I was also considering the Graphite Blue/Chalk Sportex at the time).

Then, I thought, that doesn't look like a serious sports car in a nice bold color; it looks like a frivolous sports car. So I decided to anchor it somewhat in a traditional sports car with the more traditional Carrera S wheels.

In my case, the interior came into play - I've gone with the Chalk/Black full leather. On top of that, I went for aluminum look roll bars. So there's some light, shiny stuff coming out the top of the car. I felt that the standard finish Carrera S, on that car, once again made things a little too light-hearted and happy. Too shiny. I wanted at least one dark, serious, threatening looking detail the transmit the car's bona fides, if you will. So - went with platinum satin. Split the difference.
Love that exterior/interior/wheel combination.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your coming to understand what Malcolm, duegatti, chester, and I have already figured out Miami Blue looks good in with any option selected.;)
I do love that combination, but I REALLY, REALLY love GT Silver in Black/Bordeaux full leather. ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I do love that combination, but I REALLY, REALLY love GT Silver in Black/Bordeaux full leather. ;) ;)
I have to say GT silver is a pretty cool color and as I have said before..........it reminds me of the James Bond mobile in the movie Goldfinger........absolutely, very COOL!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have to say GT silver is a pretty cool color and as I have said before..........it reminds me of the James Bond mobile in the movie Goldfinger........absolutely, very COOL!
Except that was a DB5, also a great looking car.

Attachments

Reactions: Porsche2018

·
Registered
584 Posts
That's my second choice; that's how I started in the configurator.

In two months, when Porsche has still not started to build my car, I will put another order in for a 2019 GT Silver/Bordeaux, and then wait another 6 months for them to not build my car. Then, I won't have both a Miami Blue and a GT Silver Boxster S.

I'd still get the platinum satin on the GT Silver.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, your input is much appreciated.

On the question of seeing cars in person. New Zealand is a small country and we only have four Porsche dealers nationwide. None of them hold stock on hand so it comes down to the demonstrators they have. These are normally conservatively optioned and, as NZ is obsessed with Black, Silver and White, you can imagine what colours the demonstrators are! Fortunately one Auckland dealer was brave enough to bring in a Miami Blue Cayman S with Gloss Black Carrera S wheels and it was this car that made me fall in love with Miami Blue and initially choose Gloss Black Carrera S wheels.

The lack of local examples forced me to trawl the web for pictures of Miami Blue Caymans with various wheels. Outside of the official photos and press cars it would appear as if Gloss or Satin Black Carrera S wheels seem to be the most popular choice.

Since then however I've worked my way through just about every wheel option possible and started to move away from black. @duegatti makes good points about the Carrera Classics (not serious enough) and the standard Carrera S wheels (tend to make Miami Blue 'lighter'). So I started thinking about Satin Platinum but, after seeing them in the flesh (and after a discussion with the local Porsche marketing person - who recommended the Carrera S in Gloss Black), I decided they might be a bit dull for Miami Blue and a bit of a compromise between Silver and Black. Then I started to think about the Turbo wheels, which are the perfect mix of 'platinum' & 'silver' but are perhaps a bit busy design-wise (not to mention expensive). Which brings me to my current configuration. Personally I think this wheel choice and colour are possibly the most 'sporty' option and suit the Cayman S well. Of course this could change between now and when I finally order but out of all the configurations I've tried so far this seems to be the one. I've spent a lot of time on every detail and everything is there for a reason. Hopefully these strategically positioned renders give you an idea of where I'm going and what some of the options are:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Those wheels look pretty good to me.

I do tend to like the 5 spoke wheels though--and they are a lot easier to clean as well as being cheaper!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts