Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Rennline iPhone mount a year ago. It's excellent, yet blocked too much of the screen. Since I just bought the magnetic charger base and was going through the process of installing that (replacing lightning cable with USBC cable which is used with the base) and thus had to remove the trim piece, I figured I'd do some prototyping. Simple metal bar to move the swivel ball point to the right about 1 1/4 inches. I have the iPhone X so added the stick on metal ring on the back of the phone until I get a new iPhone as the X is still working.

Original Setup: Blocks too much of the monitor and some of the buttons. Next post for new setup.

Car Gear shift Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Vehicle White Light Automotive design Car

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
End Result. I reached out to Rennline and they replied "Let us know what you come up with." LOL. Yes can see the screw and the plate is not black. I am working on that.....:)

Mike

Vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Communication Device Portable communications device Telephony Mobile phone Gadget

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good work. I went through a couple of different mounts before being recommended the T-Design one which offsets my phone to my liking similar to how you positioned yours. Porsche Phone Mount

Reactions: Aronis

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice! I have the version that mounts on the lower console above the buttons, which it completely hides. It’s in the (LHD) driver side right now, contemplating moving it to the passenger side, but either way this could be a useful mod.
What L x W and thickness of bar did you use?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's 2 inches long, holes are 1 1/4 on center, I ground down the ends to 'round' them. I was trying to find something in black and a black nut and bolt. Otherwise I'll figure out a cover for the plate.

Rennline got back to me and found it interesting.

It would look nicer if it was black, had the Rennline logo and had nicer hardware LOL.

Mike

Rectangle Wood Composite material Fixture Metal

·
Premium Member
2016 718 Boxster S in Carmine Red
120 Posts
It's 2 inches long, holes are 1 1/4 on center, I ground down the ends to 'round' them. I was trying to find something in black and a black nut and bolt. Otherwise I'll figure out a cover for the plate.
DIY with Some sanding to key the metal, rattle can undercoat and rattle can black paint and satin lacquer?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DIY with Some sanding to key the metal, rattle can undercoat and rattle can black paint and satin lacquer?
Exactly, going to fabricate that on another day, looking for black bolt and nut too. :) I have 4 more of those bars. Good project for a rainy day.

Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guilted me...mark 2 in process..photo out of focus, I dipped it in rustoleum primer, black paint tomorrow. Have to find the black bolt. :)

Mike

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Composite material
Brown Wood Automotive tire Wall Floor

·
Premium Member
2016 718 Boxster S in Carmine Red
120 Posts
Did you buy a mount for a RHD car by mistake? (Only kidding, it only seems to come in one fitment), but can go on LHS or RHS of PCM:)

it looks like if it were to be flipped and fitted to a RHD car (on the LHS of the PCM,) it would work well without needing to add the bar

·
Registered
2019 Cayman S, Cobb Stage 1 OTS, BMC Air Filter, Soul Catted Downpipe, Center Radiator
190 Posts
I installed the Rennline iPhone mount a year ago. It's excellent, yet blocked too much of the screen. Since I just bought the magnetic charger base and was going through the process of installing that (replacing lightning cable with USBC cable which is used with the base) and thus had to remove the trim piece, I figured I'd do some prototyping. Simple metal bar to move the swivel ball point to the right about 1 1/4 inches. I have the iPhone X so added the stick on metal ring on the back of the phone until I get a new iPhone as the X is still working.

Original Setup: Blocks too much of the monitor and some of the buttons. Next post for new setup.

View attachment 42140 View attachment 42141
I put mine in my left ass pocket. Seems to work for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts