Porsche 718 Forum banner

Most expensive to maintain and repair

11K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Vista6019 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a aggregator pickup of a Yahoo.com / Motor1.com piece that was linked to yesterday in another thread that I can't find right now. The article smacks of cross-promotion between Yahoo and RepairPal.com -- but that doesn't make the article any less heinous in terms of what it insinuates without stating the methodology of the list anywhere -- not even on RepairPal.com

RepairPal.com appears to be a legit outfit, but its network seems to be almost completely made up of indie shops -- dealerships, at least in my area, are not in the network. That skews things significantly, particularly considering how young the 718 is, the free scheduled maintenance for 2018 models, the new engine, and the specialized issues with maintenance items (such as changing the oil in PDK cars) that are unique to 718s.

Without methodology and context, the article and its conclusions are bogus. Then again, most of the readership doesn't give a whit about any of that, so ... I guess that makes our cars seem even more, ah, 'unique' to those who don't know better, eh? >:D

#4 ·
And those who don't understand the difference between a Cayman and a 911 -- which is the vast majority of everyone who sees this on MSN/Yahoo -- won't understand why that's an anomaly. That's the problem with pieces like this that don't state methodology or context like a 'legit' car-focused outlet such as, say, edmunds.com or Consumer Reports would.

It's not clickbait in the classic sense (overstating headline, etc.). It's just a poorly presented informational piece by an outlet/platform that's nearly dead and trying desperately to still compete in the online space. Take it from someone who's been in that business for a couple of decades.

#8 ·
My current Porsche is my first adventure with the brand, so I wouldn't know if the article is horse hooie or bull pucky. I do know at 66 years on this planet that Porsche has a reputation for ridiculous maintenance and service charges. When I asked the salesman what the average maintenance costs were, I recollect he wrote down something like $1200 for the second year service and I asked what it entailed and he said spark plugs needed to be changed. I said, "Oh, for that money they must have to drop the engine". He countered with, "No, it costs $3000 to drop the engine"

After three weeks of ownership and 600 miles, I still haven't perused the maintenance section of the manual. I'm afraid to even ask what an oil change costs.

#9 ·
Maintenance cost

Porsche can't force you to use dealerships for maintenance. As long as the maintenance of one's car is done to the schedule required by Porsche, there's nothing wrong with finding a reputable independent. I paid $400 for the 10,000 mile service at the dealership ( included a free rental car). But the 20,000 mile service is really expensive ( oil change and brake fluid flush). If they want $1200, I am going indy.

#10 ·
I'm wondering what the costs actually will be for things like the 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K services etc. Here in the SF Bay Area, we seem to have a fair number of highly-regarded independent shops that specialize in Porsches; I don't plan on taking my Boxster to a dealer except for the free 10K service. Has anyone been brave enough to call dealers for price quotes on the bigger services?

The other thing that spooks me a bit is the apparently very short life of our tires. I'm seeing reports of four tires only lasting 9K miles?

#12 ·
I have a couple of reputable independents that specialize in Porsche near me, but I saw a post somewhere that someone had an oil change done at an independent and they removed his axle to facilitate removing the oil filter. That gives me pause.

I haven't kept a car in recent years for more than a couple of years, so I'm not going to fret about it yet.

#16 ·
As a side note, there are times when the dealership may say that a service was done improperly or not according to Porsche recommendations. This could become an issue, it has for some owners apparently in rennlist and planet-9.

I had a family member who worked at Porsche and did state that while most people think of maintenance as oil changes and checks, it includes when something breaks. So if the transmission on the cayman goes out more than the one in a 911, you can bet it'll be more due to the frequency of aggregated replacements.

Still though, I agree that sources are moot.

#18 ·
Porsche's are insanely expensive to upkeep. I had a 2013 Boxster S and oil changes at the dealer were in the $300-400 range. I chose to get oil changes at an Indy for 1/2 the price, as well as brakes and other services. My car then had carbon buildup in the engine causing the check engine light to come on. It was a $4,000 repair to get the carbon out of the engine. The car had only 34,000 miles. I complained to corporate who simply said, you didnt get your oil changes at the dealship, so sucks for you. My indy put in high quality synthetic european oil and always used premium fuel. I had about $15,000 worth of repairs in the 5th year of ownership, including defective cam shafts, carbon buildup and convertible top failure. I can attest, repairing a Boxster is VERY expensive! Buyer beware. So I sold my Boxster as I was tired of throwing money into it...and of course...I am waiting on a 718 to be built for me on June 1 :)

#19 · (Edited)
Where are you located? If in the U.S., Porsche N.A. had no legal basis to deny a claim on the carbon buildup because you used an indie service center. As long as you used the recommended grade oil, you can do it yourself and Porsche can't say anything about it. Was there another reason it cited to deny the claim?

(You probably knew all that, but it's worth repeating here ... )

For all: Understand that if Porsche N.A. requires, in any direct or indirect manner, that you use a Porsche dealership for service, it is in violation of Federal law.

#20 · (Edited)
Google: porsche certified pre owned vehicle eligibility

I put the important part in bold. If a dealer finds that service was not done to Porsche standards he may not be able/want to Certify the car on trade in. That may cost you way more then the money saved by not going to a dealership for recommended service. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. Free coffee, pastry and a Porsche loaner as well...

Vehicle eligibility
A vehicle is eligible for the Porsche
Approved Certified Pre-Owned
Limited Warranty Coverage if:
• The vehicle is a series
production Porsche vehicle for
the continental U.S. and Canada
(exception: Carrera GT).
• The vehicle is less than 8
years old (96 months) from
the original in-service date.
• The vehicle’s mileage does
not exceed 100,000 miles
or 160,000 kilometers.
All manufacturer-recommended
scheduled maintenance
has been done by an
Authorized Porsche dealer.

• All service and recall campaigns
issued by Porsche Cars North
America are completed prior to
delivery to the end customer.
• A vehicle history (CARFAX® orExperian® Auto Check®) free
from negative information
about the vehicle
• All identified defects were
remedied during the Certified
Pre-Owned inspection
process and documented on
a supporting repair order.

#21 ·
I wonder how many millions of dollars VW AG spent to be triply sure that such a requirement would pass the muster of U.S. antitrust law.

I hate to say it, but my enthusiasm for Porsche just went down a rung. Only one, though. :D

#22 ·
my car was out of warranty (5 years old) so I don't think Porsche had any obligation to help me out with the repair. I attacked the issue more as a dissatisfied owner, who was looking for some small renumeration towards the purchase of a new 718. But no luck with corporate at all. They left me hanging in the wind on the purchase of a new car.

#23 ·
I took one look at the source and laughed. Whoever wrote this took some erroneous statistic and made some assumptions. Regular maintenance per year won't come close to that until you get way up in miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.