Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to jack up the car and do some very basic cleaning/checking around the breaks etc. I figured I'd just use a jack on the rear mount point to take off the rear wheel and so on. However wherever I look at videos online people jack up on the rear suspension strut and then use supports. Or they jack up on the front mount point then use supports on the rear etc. Should I be doing this? Why are they doing this? Etc 馃榾

Thanks!

Registered
There's only four mount points on this car, two behind the front wheels (on either side) and two in front of the rear wheels (on each side). Its a pain to jack up but I wouldn't jack from the rear suspension, not worth it if something goes wrong!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is not what I was wanting to hear 馃榾

I mean - what does one do when fixing a flat?

Registered
They wouldn't have jack points if not for the need to lift the car. Putting the car on 4 jack stands is another issue.

Registered
I bet you 90% of Porsche owners would rather find an expensive tow service than try their own tire change.
Can't change the tire since there is no spare. But, I'm guessing you are correct about those that would not take the trouble to fix a flat on the road with the supplied slime. A few of us have tire pluggers and necessary accessories but that won't help with a total failure. I'd be one calling for assistance if that were the case.

Registered
I bet you 90% of Porsche owners would rather find an expensive tow service than try their own tire change.
I have swapped my wheels and tires between a 3-season set and a winter set twice now in my driveway. Jacking up the rear, or the front, is no different than jacking up any other car except that you don't have much ground clearance. I use a small jack which I had bought for my Spitfire and GT6 but it doesn't quite fit under the jack points. So I drive the car up onto small supports first, front and rear on one side then the other, then I can just jack up and change wheels on both front and rear, one side at a time.

Reactions: NewPorsche

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure why they would do it that way. I鈥檝e changed all four tires 4 times in one day. Don鈥檛 ask why, I had a bad day.

I simply used a low profile jack and used the 4 jack points. No issue with using the supplied jack points. At first I was afraid of ruining the material on the bottom of the car where the jack point is, but figured it鈥檚 there for a reason and is meant to be used. My jack has a rubber pad and it minimized the scuffs.

Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
I have a set of four of the jack point pucks. Yes they are made from hockey pucks and a nice metal adapter added. They lock into the jack point. You need a low profile jack or remove the jack cup to lift the Boxster. I have had the wheels off a few times. Test fitted my spare, front and rear and also plugged one tire (got a nail on my way home with the car.....Mass Pike I know it was that Mass Pike.LOL). I got four because I am going to get a quickjack soon. I also tested using my little scissor jack.

I plug my tires myself. I'm in that 10% group I guess. Rather just give the title and the keys to a teenager than have a guy tow my car. Flat bedding a low profile car requires care and experience.

I just got this kit. Was going to get a pair of pliers to go with my plug kit but this whole kit was just a few dollars more. I like the slide striker on the plug puller, nice touch.

The spare is there if the tire cannot be plugged. The dead tire and wheel can ride in the tow truck. Or I'll call an Uber to take the rim and tire home. LOL.

Mike

plug kit.JPG

Jack.jpg
IMG_6631.JPG

Registered
I have a set of four of the jack point pucks. Yes they are made from hockey pucks and a nice metal adapter added. They lock into the jack point. You need a low profile jack or remove the jack cup to lift the Boxster. I have had the wheels off a few times. Test fitted my spare, front and rear and also plugged one tire (got a nail on my way home with the car.....Mass Pike I know it was that Mass Pike.LOL). I got four because I am going to get a quickjack soon. I also tested using my little scissor jack.

I plug my tires myself. I'm in that 10% group I guess. Rather just give the title and the keys to a teenager than have a guy tow my car. Flat bedding a low profile car requires care and experience.

I just got this kit. Was going to get a pair of pliers to go with my plug kit but this whole kit was just a few dollars more. I like the slide striker on the plug puller, nice touch.

The spare is there if the tire cannot be plugged. The dead tire and wheel can ride in the tow truck. Or I'll call an Uber to take the rim and tire home. LOL.

Mike

View attachment 32438

View attachment 32436 View attachment 32437
Hi Mike, I also plug my own tires. (My post with pictures above) curious what scissor jack you use for emergency use? I ordered one on Amazon but I'm not thrilled with it. Thanks!

Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
It鈥檚 a BMW Jack. I bought it when I got my first no Jack no spare car in 2016. M2. Use it with my M5 and Boxster. Kit is very comprehensive. I鈥檒l dig up my source where I bought it.
Mike
E004A861-5046-4B94-952C-E92B06F58062.jpeg
BB007ED6-FFF4-4408-82E6-9FBCF62FB4C6.jpeg

Registered
yes, did the same when I took a rear wheel off...but I'm not getting under a car jacked like that LOL.

Mike

Registered
Wrench on left is a torque wrench. Not set to 120 but 90 Better than nothing.
Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts