Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get a bit more vroom vroom sound without alot of $$$$ investment. While i was working on a few other things and had the car up in the air I un-bolted the stock mufflers, I cut the pipes the past the rear axles and welded on v-bands so I could reinstall them quickly if i ever needed to. Then I fabed up some pipes and quick mounts. Not the prettiest but works for now. I'm actually surprised by how quite its still is. There's a very light drone around 3k, and at full throttle is a bit louder than stock. At 75 MPH its hardly audible. Between the turbo and the cats, not sure why they even bother with mufflers. Down the road i plan on building a single pipe from the turbo all the way back and get some custom tuning :).

·
Registered
431 Posts
good job. Yes, for some reason, these engines are not loud at all. I pretty much have a straight pipe from turbo back and still sounds normal. Sometime I actually wish it was louder. VERY slight drone but nothing to cry about. My old RS3 was 10x louder even with the stock muffler and catless downpipe.

·
Registered
548 Posts
That echos the comments I made in the exhaust/YouTube thread how none of the vids available of any setup really sound that loud. Pretty much any other car if you remove the mufflers it will be quite loud (likely way too loud). But the 718 for some reason stays quiet even with no mufflers. Very odd.

The only setup which seems to be proper loud is no mufflers and catless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That echos the comments I made in the exhaust/YouTube thread how none of the vids available of any setup really sound that loud. Pretty much any other car if you remove the mufflers it will be quite loud (likely way too loud). But the 718 for some reason stays quiet even with no mufflers. Very odd.

The only setup which seems to be proper loud is no mufflers and catless.
I am thinking of deleting mufflers to get more sound but it seems like it does not do much..
This week I am adding sports cat and APR tune. Wonder how it comes out.
So in your personal opinion, muffler delete is not a worth of investment?
I found that APR sells Valve exhaust system with no mufflers. ($2000 with valve system)
The car is perfect except the sound..😭

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am thinking of deleting mufflers to get more sound but it seems like it does not do much..
I found that APR sells Valve exhaust system with no mufflers. ($2000 with valve system)
Well I should caveat my above statement that I am solely basing this off listening to youtube vids as I have not heard a 718 with a muffler delete in person. However, from the youtube vids its pretty obvious that even the straight pipe setup isnt all that loud.

Personally, I would say if you are already getting a tune then you may as well go catless. That would yield both the most performance as well as the most aggressive sounding setup. If you go to Soul's website they have some good vids of catless setups (both with factory PSE as well as with their performance/no muffler system) which IMO sound the best. Only downside to being catless is the check engine light but your tune would be able to take care of that.

334 Posts
Modifying the catalytic converter section will add more turbo sound and response than doing the rear. Doing the rear will add more exhaust volume, burble, and flat four tone than doing the downpipe.

-Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts