Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It was a typo (again, hate iphone keyboard):oops:

I meant Badges

But regardless, thanks for the closeups to see how is it done on the edges!
Only the one badge as I optioned pretty much all of them deleted.

But as I understand it, they just go straight across the badge slot and fix it in the slot (Could be wrong)

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you will have full PPF, please drop some close pictures about how they did around/below the badges in the back
Thanks
This is the place I had mine done. Video towards end shows the best way. Some people cringe at part removal but if they are a good installer, it shouldn't be an issue. Much better than exposed seam, dirt collection. Installation is far more important than any other PPF decision. Dirk is just a really nice guy.

·
Registered
BGTS40
636 Posts
This is the place I had mine done. Video towards end shows the best way. Some people cringe at part removal but if they are a good installer, it shouldn't be an issue. Much better than exposed seam, dirt collection. Installation is far more important than any other PPF decision. Dirk is just a really nice guy.
This place looks amazing, top quality!

Now the are doing mine, will get back on Friday . We decided to remove badges and put new ones on to of PPF
I don't know if they will remove for example the lights or not , but i suspect they will not.
We will see

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hmmm,

Prepares to enter deep water....

So I was asked by SWMBO (its a trap!) "If money was no object, would you have gone for a 911?". Bugger how do you answer that? I mean option

a) "Nope I'd still have a Cayman, maybe a GT4 RS" or
b) "Money no object, hmmm 911 GTS exactly how I'd want it with PCCB's!" or
c) (Scrotum saving answer) "To be honest, they are totally different cars and if money was truly no object I'd get a Ferrari 296 GTB".

However, the question was well timed as Porsche have recently announced the 911 T. Some Journo's are praising it's purity and high lighting its X less than a 911 S or only Y above the base but you get.... yadda yadda yadda.

Personally, and I guess I spoke with my wallet as I'm posting this as a 718 GTS 4.0 owner, I wouldn't have gone with the 911 T anyway. Man maths says I'm getting a bit less power for more money (I know that's not really true, technically its 379 vs 394 but its a "911".... you get the gist).

Now before I get thrown on the sacrificial altar by frothing 911 owners, I just wondered.

Would you have gone down the 911 route?

I guess at some point in time I'll scratch that itch (maybe)

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster GTS 4.0
86 Posts
Hmmm,

So I was asked by SWMBO (its a trap!) "If money was no object, would you have gone for a 911?". Bugger how do you answer that? I mean option

c) (Scrotum saving answer) "To be honest, they are totally different cars and if money was truly no object I'd get a Ferrari 296 GTB".

However, the question was well timed as Porsche have recently announced the 911 T. Some Journo's are praising it's purity and high lighting its X less than a 911 S or only Y above the base but you get.... yadda yadda yadda.

Personally, and I guess I spoke with my wallet as I'm posting this as a 718 GTS 4.0 owner, I wouldn't have gone with the 911 T anyway. Man maths says I'm getting a bit less power for more money (I know that's not really true, technically its 379 vs 394 but its a "911".... you get the gist).

Now before I get thrown on the sacrificial altar by frothing 911 owners, I just wondered.

Nope, the 718 fitted my requirements better than any other car. I could've had an Audi R8, a 911 or a McLaren (and I sold an owned from new BMW i8 to buy the 718), but I chose the Boxster 718 GTS 4.0 because I genuinely believe that I will enjoy driving it more than any of those cars on UK roads.

Reactions: Wiscombe64

·
Registered
BGTS40
636 Posts
Hmmm,

Even if I am in love with a 911 since I was 5, it was not even an option/competition for me.
I still could not fin any other car I would have bought, only the manual BGTS4.0 (or the 718 Spyder but that beauty could not even go into my garage and other places because of clearance). I did not go out to buy a Porsche, or a 718 or a Boxster. I went out to buy a N/A manual RWD Cabrio 2 seater sport car. It happened to be the 718 without competitor :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yep. Had the same conversation with Er in doors and my SA but where do you go? A fully loaded 718 GTS or a base 911 that'll cost you £90k plus options. I just specced up a 911T and it came to just over £100k. £25k more than my GTS. No thanks.

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
262 Posts
Hmmm,

Yes 90% chance I would have bought the 911T except for one thing, the convertible top. I just love the convertible and where I live, it's open most of the time. I'm just not a fan of the 911 convertibles and much prefer the 718. I was originally shopping for a base 911 (992) with MT - they didn't make them. In the end, I'm glad they didn't make them as I didn't know how much I would come to enjoy top down driving (it had been 30 years since I had a rag top). I no longer have the 911 itch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ice Grey Metallic is a highly underrated color. Reminds me of Mineral White on an M4 I had, a color I absolutely loved mostly because of how it glinted metallic flakes in the sun, just like this. Thanks again for posting so many great pics.

Yes 90% chance I would have bought the 911T except for one thing, the convertible top. I just love the convertible and where I live, it's open most of the time. I'm just not a fan of the 911 convertibles and much prefer the 718. I was originally shopping for a base 911 (992) with MT - they didn't make them. In the end, I'm glad they didn't make them as I didn't know how much I would come to enjoy top down driving (it had been 30 years since I had a rag top). I no longer have the 911 itch.
This is me as well, almost exactly. I had to "scratch the itch", so I traded a perfectly great 981 Boxster GTS manual for a 991.2 C2S. It was a great car! Met or exceeded every lofty expectation I had for it. But ultimately, it wasn't the perfect car for me. It happened to be the car that finally made me grow tired of the manual transmission, and I did truly miss the open top experience. And as much as the 991.2 and even more so the 992 have improved the look of the cabrio cars, for me they just can't compete with the look of the Boxster, top up or down.

Plus one more thing I would add to those having this internal struggle of whether or not to "scratch the 911 itch"... for me, there was also something about having a 911 that made things weird. Kind of difficult to explain, but some context is that I didn't come from big money. I was actually truly poor at one point as a junior enlisted Sailor... but having put myself in a position to comfortably afford a 911, there was still just this unnatural sense that I didn't truly deserve it. As crazy as that sounds. I guess another way of putting it was I almost felt I was rubbing it in people's faces if I found myself talking about my car, or posting something to Facebook, and that kind of weighed down the ownership experience, for me. I'm 100% sure this is not applicable universally, but for me it added up and I didn't enjoy owning my 911 as much as I could/should have... and for some reason it's not the same with the 718. I feel this car "fits" me better than a 911, and yes I prefer it aesthetically compared to the cab.

My .02, maybe others can relate, perhaps folks with similar social circles that don't include any sort of wealth to speak of.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
My thoughts mirror yours (to a degree?)

My tale was more about being a petrolhead and finally through hard work, a supportive partner and incredibly good marketing (that's a joke) was able to carve a decent career in I.T. and been able to back the right horse when it came to tech, education and self marketing.

So 2019 the Mrs had some shares come in, around the same time the Z4MR was becoming a "financial liability", some really big bills meant she had to go. We looked at the 718 and 718S previously but didn't feel either. Got an M2C and never looked back.... until October 2021 got burgled and two cars stolen off the drive. Won't lie, it was tough but I'm glad it happened (certainly put the "it will never happen to me.." defence in the hole it belonged), I'm a better person for it. So when the Insurance money came through and the reality of the long wait from placing a deposit for a slot in the queue, to actually getting a build slot it was plenty enough time to save up the extra and get a CGTS.

It was interesting reading about your journey and I've had similar experiences regarding talking about it (and not talking about it) to friends, colleagues etc. It was a dream come true that has just kept on living up to the billing, however, some take a dim view of it, rather than you realising a dream and saving hard for it, they'd rather see "you're clearly paid too much" or "its just a car..." etc.

Don't get me wrong, I value different views and appreciate people have different priorities but I hear what you're saying regarding the 911. I wonder if its because people instantly have an image in their mind of someone who owns one, just stepped out of one etc? The same "negativity" doesn't seem to hit Cayman owners (well from my limited experience so far), I still get let out at junctions and don't have that uber aggressive response that the M2C used to get (even though I rarely drove like a plank) from hot hatch drivers.

But would that be the same with a 911? (in my case I'd have needed another year to save up the extra so it wasn't really an option anyway) hmmm, its food for thought....

·
Registered
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK
2 Posts
Hmmm,

The best advice I heard (and took) was from the business manager at my OPC when I was agonising between a base Carrera or a CGTS. "You will always be able to buy a 911, but the Cayman GTS 4.0 won't be around for much longer. If that itch doesn't go away in a couple of years, you can always order a 911, and the 4.0 may be very desirable by then, anyway".

·
Registered
113 Posts
The best advice I heard (and took) was from the business manager at my OPC when I was agonising between a base Carrera or a CGTS. "You will always be able to buy a 911, but the Cayman GTS 4.0 won't be around for much longer. If that itch doesn't go away in a couple of years, you can always order a 911, and the 4.0 may be very desirable by then, anyway".
This is true- but the 911 keeps changing too! I think the Cayman GTS is now almost comparable to a 997 Carrera without back seats. The new generation of 911 is already rumored to be hybrid, so are the Audi RS cars, and the Merc AMGs are already there; I think that's going to be the next trend in high end performance cars. Basically, we'll all be buying the next evolution of 918, LaFerrari, and P1 from almost 10 years ago.

Not sure how excited I am about that.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts