Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Maybe they just want to admire your cool car. Not every instance of aberrant behavior is a case of someone wanting to race.

I do see more cases of drivers in SUV's or other non-performance cars trying to cut me off than when I'm driving my Caravan. I'm not sure why but I'd venture some guesses. In either car I tend to leave a bit more space between my car and the car in front of me than most drivers do. Not a lot of space, but more than the not-enough most drivers allow. The Cayman being smaller, drivers following me can see around or over me to know that space is there. Or they just think I'm an obnoxious Porsche driver and need being put down. Whatever.

That is a good point and sometimes it is just people admiring a nice car. I have to admit I do that too but there is a difference in behavior and I think its obvious when the other car is trying to bait you into a race. By pacing at exactly the same spot in the adjacent lane the perspective of what they see does not change so I think its just bait. BTW, I usually respond to these drivers by very slowly slowing down. At some point, typically, they get frustrated I suppose because they are now going too slow and I am not taking their bait, and suddenly accelerate. For cars following too close, I keep slowing down 1 mph by 1mph. At some point they just get pissed and accelerate way ahead of me and the annoying pest is out of my life.

A couple of months ago while driving my Z4 with the top down, I passed what appeared to be a fully restored teardrop headlights 1952 Buick convertible on I95. The car was beautiful and that model/year has a lot of nostalgia value to me because my dad had one (not a convertible) and, being the first car with an automatic transmission, I have clear memories of sitting in the back seat as he took friends and family for rides to show them how a car without a clutch and gear shift drove. I slowly passed him on the left, slowed down, changed two lanes to the right, and then slowly passed him again on the right. All the time we giving each other thumbs up. I am not sure if the driver enjoyed the attention more or I enjoyed the nostalgia trip more. That's what checking out a really cool car is.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's easier on workaday highway drives just being another good ol' boy meandering along in my pickup.

Around here so many high school kids and caregivers drive German marques that a Porsche is often perceived as merely another appliance.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It's easier on workaday highway drives just being another good ol' boy meandering along in my pickup.

Around here so many high school kids and caregivers drive German marques that a Porsche is often perceived as merely another appliance.

The polar opposite here, but same results. In this truck-dominated community, I've haven't gotten any attention, prods to race, etc, and I'm good with that. I don't think anyone around here gives a rats butt. However, had I bought and properly outfitted/customized a truck, that would likely be a different story. Laying low (figuratively and literally) is nice sometimes!

·
Registered
79 Posts
None of this behavior is really new. Many, many years ago in my greatly missed 1989 E30 M3, red, flared and with that sexy wing, I was driving to work in a snow storm. Not horrible but about a 1/2 inch of snow on the road at the time. It was pretty slick in spots however. Back road, 40mph speed limit, I was doing 30 or so when some moron in a smallish front drive Chrysler came up and started tailgating me. After a while concern turned to annoyance, so I bumped it up to 40. A bit risky as back in those days, I just ran the street tires all year round, so no snows. Naturally, as I sped up, so did my new friend. After a further 1/4 mile or so we arrived at relatively long, gentle sweeper. Didn't slow, hoping to put a little room between me and my pursuer. But it turned out there was good patch of ice just prior to the apex and the plucky little M3 went half sideways through the rest of the corner. Not overly traumatic, it was a wonderfully controllable car, but it was certainly memorable. Anyway, I successfully managed the exit and came out the other side smoothy. As I glanced in my rear view coming out of the corner, all I could see was a wave of snow a dozen feet high as the miscreant behind me plowed straight off the road into a snow covered field. Never laughed so hard in my life.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Once on my commute home in my GT6+ some idiot in a spiked-up Nissondoyotubaru tried to follow me around an exit ramp. I saw him fishtail coming out of the turn behind me then give up. The guy should know better. Maybe he does now.

Reactions: janneman99

·
892 Posts
It's happens quite rarely where I live, but even when it does, it's not generally too much of a problem. The roads here are narrow & twisty with short straights, so it's pretty easy to open distance on most vehicles without really trying. That doesn't mean driving recklessly & I know all of the roads around here extremely well. I won't get involved in stupidity & would simply pull over if it looked to be getting to that. Unfortunately one of the few vehicles that could keep up around here is the morons vehicle of choice, the Subaru Impreza (probably one of the quickest point to point vehicles you could own in my locale). Please don't take that as an insult if you've ever owned one, as I'm not saying that everyone who's owned one is, or that all current owners are. However it doesn't alter the fact that in the U.K it's nowadays mainly owned by younger, often not particularly intelligent & extremely reckless pillocks. It's cheap & fast, with an enviable rallying pedigree & that's the reason they want it & they also fully intend on exploiting that potential (even though the car generally exceeds their skill by a considerable margin). As a result it's got a horrendous reputation in this country & is apparently hideously expensive to insure (which is why & that's another problem, that many of the owners simply don't bother). See one on the road as a visitor the U.K, then take my advice & avoid, avoid, avoid. :(

·
Registered
359 Posts
Many, many years ago in my greatly missed 1989 E30 M3, red, flared and with that sexy wing,

OMG, does that bring back great meaningful memories! I had a brand new 1988, also red, E30 M3 with white leather and a real manual 5 speed. My wife and I had just started dating and we would both really enjoy the attention that car attracted driving through Coconut Grove (Miami) and Miami Beach. It was my first car with ABS and I remember being awed how I was able to easily drive around the rear of a car that ran a stop sign, with my foot hard on the brakes, and avoided T-Boning him. My future wife borrowed it one day and she remembered me saying, more than once, to put "premium" gas in it. So, in the spirit of verbatim compliance, and given the choice of regular, premium, and super premium, and not wanting to disappoint me, she did exactly what I said and put premium in, which was only 89 Octane and less than required by BMW. Surprisingly BMW NA advised to have the car towed to have the 89 octane drained. I did drain the tank but I I also did not tow it to the shop. I kidded her about that for many years. Of the many nice cars I had since 1969, my new Boxster is clearly number 1 but the number 2 slot is equally shared by that M3 and my 2002 Z3. Sorry for getting off topic but your comment just brought back too many wonderful memories not to comment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not to sound like an ass but is it really a big deal of someone (likely a young kid) who likes cars wants to check yours out? I mean without sounding like what ppl might expect of " Porsche owners" being snooty, let's not perpetuate that generalization. If someone wants to tail you for a block to check out your ride or pace you at a light I say let them. Big deal. No reason to be ill mannered and laugh at their losing control of their car. I sincerely hope Porsche owners aren't all like that. I'm new to the brand and would hate to assume that's the common mentality.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OMG, does that bring back great meaningful memories! I had a brand new 1988, also red, E30 M3....
Hmmm...I ALSO had a red E30 M3. :D Mine was a '90, Brillantrot with Natur.

What the heck, is this some secret universal precursor to 718 ownership?? If I track down my old CCA buddy who also had a red E30 M3, will he also now be driving a 718? :p

Maybe it was the flared fevers and the wing, but--so far at least, knocking on wood here--that M3 was definitely more of a "moron magnet" than my 718.

Reactions: Tailwagger

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not to sound like an ass but is it really a big deal of someone (likely a young kid) who likes cars wants to check yours out? I mean without sounding like what ppl might expect of " Porsche owners" being snooty, let's not perpetuate that generalization. If someone wants to tail you for a block to check out your ride or pace you at a light I say let them. Big deal. No reason to be ill mannered and laugh at their losing control of their car. I sincerely hope Porsche owners aren't all like that. I'm new to the brand and would hate to assume that's the common mentality.
I took most of the comments in this thread to be referring to the kind of people who interact badly with you simply based on the car you are driving. They will cut you off in traffic or try to race you from every stoplight, and are willing to blow up their engine to beat you to the end of the lane merge. We've all had experiences with people like this, regardless of what car we are in, but certain cars tend to bring them out goofy reactions more than others – – I think that's what many people posting in the thread are pointing out.

So I understand your concern, @Pavanseth, but I am always happy to chat with people about cars--mine, there's, or somebody else's. I certainly don't cop a certain attitude based on the car I happen to be driving, and I don't think most other people here do either, so no worries.

Reactions: wriggly and 718S

·
Registered
110 Posts
My wife and I had just picked up our new Cayman S at Porsche Bellevue (east-side Seattle suburb), and the business took us past closing time. Then we went to dinner downtown Bellevue near the mall. After dinner it was dark as we headed for the freeway on-ramp and found ourselves stopped at a light next to a new black 911. We were about a foot or so ahead, no eye-contact but we could see what each was driving. He apparently decided to show me what a "real" Porsche could do, and at the green he launched. He disappeared at incredible speed into city traffic... did not see any wreckage as we proceeded more sedately. But, I guess we were suitably upstaged!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hmmm...I ALSO had a red E30 M3. :D Mine was a '90, Brillantrot with Natur.

What the heck, is this some secret universal precursor to 718 ownership??
Might not be a pre-requisite, but if you're one of those folks who did own one, and like me at least, preferred it to what followed, you're likely the kind of bloke who tends to prefer balanced athleticism over outright power, which, IMO, is at the center of the Cayman/Boxster brief as well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
On a recent drive and while at a stop light, I had a newer model Mustang in my rear view mirror. Poor fella must have had some sort of neurological disorder as his right foot was apparently twitching and hit the accelerator repeatedly. He went on by, I hope he is OK.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
On a recent drive and while at a stop light, I had a newer model Mustang in my rear view mirror. Poor fella must have had some sort of neurological disorder as his right foot was apparently twitching and hit the accelerator repeatedly. He went on by, I hope he is OK.
Sounds to me like he is just young and impetuous and just having fun. No harm no foul.......

·
Registered
690 Posts
Not really, just another middle-aged guy with an inferiority complex. I had more years on him so was not tempted.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I had my first encounter that pissed me of a couple a days ago on the moterway.
A older Audi RS4 passed at high speed and then slowed down, when i catched him and i started to overtake at moderate speeds he increased his speed.
So i backed of and changed lane and he slowed down again, after 3 times i took pics of his number plate and left the motorway.

At home i checked who owned the car a dude in my age (52) it was not the driver cause he was to young.
Anyways, i phoned the owner and told him what have happend and he where pretty angry on how his son had behaved.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have to say so far my experience here on NH and VT is that many times,when people see me on their mirrors they actually pull over and let me go by, usually with a wave from both of us. First time it happened was a gentlemen in a Prius who then tried to keep up on a twisty back road. I was still in breaking in mode so did not hammer away. I think he enjoyed it as much as I did.
One thing I've noticed is that Iris the GTS is lower than people are looking for. I've been missed by people pulling out more times than I care to count because everyone seems to be looking for vehicles the height of SUVs.?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My wife and I had just picked up our new Cayman S at Porsche Bellevue (east-side Seattle suburb), and the business took us past closing time. Then we went to dinner downtown Bellevue near the mall. After dinner it was dark as we headed for the freeway on-ramp and found ourselves stopped at a light next to a new black 911. We were about a foot or so ahead, no eye-contact but we could see what each was driving. He apparently decided to show me what a "real" Porsche could do, and at the green he launched. He disappeared at incredible speed into city traffic... did not see any wreckage as we proceeded more sedately. But, I guess we were suitably upstaged!

Thats nearly like a classic, 3 lanes at a junction.
Your in the right lane and can only turn right and some race happy guy rolls up on your left.
You invite him to race and when the lights goes green..........

41 - 60 of 105 Posts