Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,181 Posts
I had a moron behind me today--
We were in a 'no passing area' and he kept honking because I wasn't going the speed limit due to the slow car in front of me! I motioned for him to go ahead and pass on the solid line and he got really angry. Then he passed me and brake checked me, and then came up to slow car that was now in front of him.

I waved gaily.>:D

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have to say so far my experience here on NH and VT is that many times,when people see me on their mirrors they actually pull over and let me go by, usually with a wave from both of us.
I've had that happen a few times riding a bicycle down Cadillac Mt. in Acadia National Park, but never while driving the Cayman.
0:)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've had that happen a few times riding a bicycle down Cadillac Mt. in Acadia National Park, but never while driving the Cayman.
0:)
I once did a tandem ride up Cadillac Mt with big plans for the descent. Got blocked big time and did not enjoy the downhill at all as we were on the bumper of the car the whole way down. We decided on a "do-over", rode back to the top & waited for an opening - we actually needed to wave off a car that planned to get in front of us. That was the last I saw of him. The most amazing downhill & up until owning my CGTS, the most fun I'd ever had in the twisties. :)

Believe me, I appreciate that the drivers here are generally very considerate. I wasn't expecting people to allow me through - trust me on that. Maybe I could have expected it though because they do the same things for bicycle riders. Generally give lots of space & defer when necessary or appropriate. It's a very nice area to drive or ride.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I once did a tandem ride up Cadillac Mt with big plans for the descent. Got blocked big time and did not enjoy the downhill at all as we were on the bumper of the car the whole way down. We decided on a "do-over", rode back to the top & waited for an opening - we actually needed to wave off a car that planned to get in front of us. That was the last I saw of him...
Wow! You rode a tandem up Cadillac? You are a better team than we! That driver who wouldn't pull over to let you go by was being a jerk, or just thoughtless. I've ridden ten different vintage solo bikes up Cadillac, and down too of course. No one ever catches up with me on the way down. We have ridden our vintage ('82) Peugeot over 10,000 miles since I restored it. But I don't think we could go up Cadillac safely on the tandem and I sure wouldn't want to test the brakes on the way down. :eek:

Later this fall we are driving the 718C to Mt. Desert again, will most certainly drive up Cadillac. Didn't have the time for it on our previous trip.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wow! You rode a tandem up Cadillac? You are a better team than we! That driver who wouldn't pull over to let you go by was being a jerk, or just thoughtless. I've ridden ten different vintage solo bikes up Cadillac, and down too of course. No one ever catches up with me on the way down. We have ridden our vintage ('82) Peugeot over 10,000 miles since I restored it. But I don't think we could go up Cadillac safely on the tandem and I sure wouldn't want to test the brakes on the way down. :eek:

Later this fall we are driving the 718C to Mt. Desert again, will most certainly drive up Cadillac. Didn't have the time for it on our previous trip.
I haven't been on a tandem in about 17 years. Back then though it was the bike that got ridden most & living in Vermont at the time meant we were well prepared for Cadillac! I wouldn't want to try it now, probably not even on a single!! :( I can tell you though that there isn't much like coming down Cadillac on a tandem! :) It would be worth driving it to the top just for the downhill, provided you have confidence in your brakes or have a drag brake. Plant a car or a single at the bottom and enjoy the ride!!

You have a classic ride in the Peugeot. Very nice!!

... and now back to our regular scheduled programming...

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had my first encounter that pissed me of a couple a days ago on the moterway.
A older Audi RS4 passed at high speed and then slowed down, when i catched him and i started to overtake at moderate speeds he increased his speed.
So i backed of and changed lane and he slowed down again, after 3 times i took pics of his number plate and left the motorway.

At home i checked who owned the car a dude in my age (52) it was not the driver cause he was to young.
Anyways, i phoned the owner and told him what have happend and he where pretty angry on how his son had behaved.
Who's concerned about google / facebook collecting your personal data when you can just go to Sweden and call any driver you like. I bet dating apps in Sweden must be doing poor business as all you need to do is recall licence plates and give them a call >:D.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Who's concerned about google / facebook collecting your personal data when you can just go to Sweden and call any driver you like. I bet dating apps in Sweden must be doing poor business as all you need to do is recall licence plates and give them a call >:D.
I am sure Sweden has their reasons but I am glad it is not something one can do in the US. I can easily envision this creating all sorts of unintended consequences some of which are not altogether benign.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I am sure Sweden has their reasons but I am glad it is not something one can do in the US. I can easily envision this creating all sorts of unintended consequences some of which are not altogether benign.
My point exactly @Porsche2018

LoL
Watch out boys!
It is not "open info" but it is fairly easy to find out.
So here we dont honk if we see a Babe in a car, we give them a call instead ;)

On the upside, if buy a used car you can check out every owner etc

·
892 Posts
LoL
Watch out boys!
It is not "open info" but it is fairly easy to find out.
So here we dont honk if we see a Babe in a car, we give them a call instead ;)

On the upside, if buy a used car you can check out every owner etc
+ it makes things far easier when Johan is trying to select his next victim. Muhahaha >:D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
+ it makes things far easier when Johan is trying to select his next victim. Muhahaha >:D
:D
Well when somebody behaves as an idiot.......

I actually got the idea from a Swedish motor journalist but he did "live"
He was driving way up in the north and all roads there are just long straights.
So after 40min of driving he catched a car, passed the car and the driver behind honked, flashed his lights and waved his arms all over.
The guy passed him, brake checked, nearly crashed (!) so the journalist passed him again, same thing all over...

So being behind the idiot and being a motor journalist he can check out the owner with 2 clicks and it was the idiots wife.
Anyways, he called up the while being 20 meters behind and the guy answered and sounded pretty angry,

Who Is it!!

Its me, the guy behind you, why are you so angry with me?
Before the guy understood what was happening, does your wife know that your a hazard on the roads and that we where like 30cm from a big crash when you brake checked me?

The idiot infront slowly stopped the car and the journalist passed never to se or hear from him again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
After driving this wonderful and eye/ear catching machine for almost a couple months now, it has become clearly evident to me the behavior of other cars after a light turns green is subtly different from what I observed after many years of "lesser" cars like BMW Z4, Z3, M3 etc. I am certainly being sarcastic when using the word "lesser" but it is very obvious to me my bright red brand new Porsche Boxster gets a whole different world of attention than these other cars did. My Boxster is not the first new car in my driveway but it is the first that has had virtually everyone of my neighbors, over a period of a few weeks, to come over and check it out, up close and personal. I naively never previously realized it but joining the Cult of Porsche gets peoples attention and Porsche products appear to be perceived as much more than just another expensive Mercedes, BMW, etc. I love it!

It happens too often now for me not to be observing something real and I don't sense it when driving my SUV. The cars can be anything from a 20 year old Camry to a new Kia, but too often to be by chance, the car adjacent to me seems to have a need to slightly out accelerate me. I am not describing high rates of acceleration, just reasonable acceleration after the light turns green. Just enough to lead me up the street. If I speed up a bit, so do they. I am not at all suggesting this always occurs but after almost two months I perceive it occurs a lot more often than it did with previous vehicles. Of course there is every once in a while the butt hole that obviously wants to race on a city street but these guys are not what I am referring to here.

·
Registered
781 Posts
...My Boxster is not the first new car in my driveway but it is the first that has had virtually everyone of my neighbors, over a period of a few weeks, to come over and check it out, up close and personal.

...The cars can be anything from a 20 year old Camry to a new Kia, but too often to be by chance, the car adjacent to me seems to have a need to slightly out accelerate me.
My Cayman is the only car I've ever owned where people, neighbors included, ask if they can drive it. (The answer is usually no, but I make exceptions for some.)

I figure if someone wants to play boy-racer and beat me away from a stoplight they are welcome to do so. I don't play the game. In fact, I probably irritate people by not driving aggressively. That's their loss, not mine!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I got passed by a Chevy Cruze today :|. He was on my arse for a few miles and went by in a hurry at the first semi-straight section of road on a rural two-lane road in a residential area with double yellow lines. I need more hp ;). He's telling tall tales tonight I'll bet. Glad I made his day! Pretty much a daily occurrence.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I got passed by a Chevy Cruze today :|. He was on my arse for a few miles and went by in a hurry at the first semi-straight section of road on a rural two-lane road in a residential area with double yellow lines. I need more hp ;). He's telling tall tales tonight I'll bet. Glad I made his day! Pretty much a daily occurrence.
+1 on that one!
I usualy try to start to work 6 in the morning so i can get a couple of hours of silence at work.
Also the roads are empty so i can have some fun until an Audi or Beamer decides to ruin it.
But a couple of curves and they are gone ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I must be lucky, 3 month in and I still didnt get across the moron racer.

... Or maybe its just I dont see the diference anymore, bmw, golfs, fiesta st and white vans, those 4 ones allways seems to be racing no matter what I drive.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts