Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I must be lucky, 3 month in and I still didnt get across the moron racer.

... Or maybe its just I dont see the diference anymore, bmw, golfs, fiesta st and white vans, those 4 ones allways seems to be racing no matter what I drive.
My wife and I keep it simple when we designate drivers on the road. There are two categories idiots and maniacs. The idiots drive slow and do all manner of unsafe actions and the maniacs drive way too fast. We often have fun picking out the drivers in each category when we are out and about on the road..........although, I guess, from time to time, we can be assigned to one of those categories.;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Walked out of the grocery store today to find a guy and his wife going over the car. They had parked next to me because they didn't want a ding in their Challenger and assumed I would not give them one. When I walked up he asked where the "horse" was? I told him it was not a Ferrari but a Porsche. He then asked if I self-applied the Porsche emblems. Humm. He went on to say he could never fit in a Porsch"e" (obvious) and that is why he bought a larger, more powerful car. I congratulated him on his purchase.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I told him it was not a Ferrari but a Porsche. He then asked if I self-applied the Porsche emblems. Humm.
Hmm, he must not have heard you. Nobody self-applies Porsh stickers to a Lamborghini, they let Lamborghini do it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Walked out of the grocery store today to find a guy and his wife going over the car. They had parked next to me because they didn't want a ding in their Challenger and assumed I would not give them one. When I walked up he asked where the "horse" was? I told him it was not a Ferrari but a Porsche. He then asked if I self-applied the Porsche emblems. Humm. He went on to say he could never fit in a Porsch"e" (obvious) and that is why he bought a larger, more powerful car. I congratulated him on his purchase.
This is one of the cool aspects of owning a 718 version in particular. Alot of guys regularly read the automotive rags. Their curiosity is often piqued, though colored, when encountering the F4t. I think they’re taken aback sometimes by how good the car looks in person.

Last December, my wife and I took the car out for the midnight service at a local church that usually has at least one “name” performing with the collection of local musicians (the church is next to a small town B&B that features jazz and is frequented by such folks on a gig in and around NYC who are looking to chill for a while).

When we came out, a couple of men were studying the Cayman. By the time we got to it, they had just started toward their own cars (the missus were gettin’ cold), but I could hear a bit of what they were saying as we approached. I think they had been discussing the headlights, probably wondering if they were LED. They stopped and turned for one last look. It was then I heard one say, “I didn’t know it looked that good. Who cares what it sounds like.” Realizing it was ours, he gave a thumbs up, to which I smiled and waved.

I thought, “My sentiments exactly, gentlemen.” :giggle:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I hate to put the "moron" marker on anyone. In fact, I was one until several years ago until I started exploring the Porsche brand. I think we are all morons about something that we do not know/understand. I would be one for many things!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive had my boxster since hogmanay and had all of the above including a young lad saying look its a lamborghini lol and passing a white van with a “wanker” comment shouted at me and i just laugh its part of the admiration jealousy and part of owning a fast beautiful sportscar 😎

·
Registered
621 Posts
My Boxster is not the first new car in my driveway but it is the first that has had virtually everyone of my neighbors, over a period of a few weeks, to come over and check it out, up close and personal. I naively never previously realized it but joining the Cult of Porsche gets peoples attention and Porsche products appear to be perceived as much more than just another expensive Mercedes, BMW, etc. I love it!
The same happened to me. When the car arrived and was being brought down the ramp of the transporter a number of neighbors found their way to my house to check out the delivery. It took some determination on their part to make the trek down the street to see it, as the houses are pretty well spread out. A few folks that were driving by also had to stop for a minute to check it out. Had no idea who they were lol

Hey, they're like little super cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,273 Posts
I live in a 15-townhome gated community.

When I brought the Cayman in the neighbor from the far side of the driveway came running yelling

'You did it!, Oh you did it!'

He has an aircooled 911 and I was picking his brain about used 911s, he never thought that I'd go for a 10 month old Cayman S!

Then my neighbor next door came up and requested that we move out, because we ruin the neighborhood image with this craven exhibition of horsepower (as if the Mustang GT I had before was a docile little kitten).

The neighbors on the near side of the driveway came a couple of days later and confessed that they ran to the kitchen and pulled the window blind blades apart every time they heard our garage door open. They wanted to hear the cold start exhaust rumble...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have experienced this also. It never seems to happen in my other cars (past or present). I really do not drive any of my cars much differently. I think it’s a “screw the Porsche guy” thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m a noob wrt being a Porsche owner. I tend to drive speed limits as I’m concerned about getting pulled over by an over anxious LEO. Hard to find safe, empty roads to have fun but I’ll be on the lookout!

My annoyances come from young punks in crapboxes that insist on tailgating you. Especially the ones texting and driving.

I’ll be honest. I’m now much more observant of my surroundings. I just want nice quiet windy roads to listen to the car I’m driving.
Wow exactly my experience. Maybe because my other cars are all way off the ground (lifted Jeep rubicon & pick-up truck) it seams that I get tailgated in the Cayman more and usually by kids in heaps. On the highway I move out of their way, on backroads I wait for a stop sign and do the 0 - speed limit thing in a hurry (maybe a little more than speed limit). If no stop sign I accelerate and rail corners to create distance.

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
On the highway I move out of their way, on backroads I wait for a stop sign and do the 0 - speed limit thing in a hurry (maybe a little more than speed limit). If no stop sign I accelerate and rail corners to create distance.
Huh ... imagine that. That's how I drive ALL the time!

(No, really: There's a point to it.)

In my younger motorcycling days, I perfected beliefs and habits I developed even before I began to drive on public roads that I learned from two sources in my early teens:
  • German sportbikers and car nuts (a ringleader lived across the street from me)
  • Cycling on European roads -- not on bike trails, but the actual roads between towns
You quickly learn two important rules:
  • The safest place is in front of others.
  • The more space around you to be able to move into in an emergency, the better.
I accelerate -- and, at times, brake -- to get into more space. That's the cardinal rule of safe vehicle operation to me. I can't tell you how many times -- as a cyclist, motorcyclist, and driver -- I've seen traffic behind me blow up. I very rarely have seen it do that in front of me -- and when I have, I've had a place to move into to avoid it (thankfully). Anticipation and bet-hedging is the name of the game. I describe it as 'defensive aggressiveness' to others. Most think I'm nuts. But I never crashed a motorcycle on a public road and have had exactly one minor accident since age 18 (I'll be 50 next month) for a reason, and it ain't being passive -- even amongst the 'morons', LOL. ;D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Huh ... imagine that. That's how I drive ALL the time!

(No, really: There's a point to it.)

In my younger motorcycling days, I perfected beliefs and habits I developed even before I began to drive on public roads that I learned from two sources in my early teens:
  • German sportbikers and car nuts (a ringleader lived across the street from me)
  • Cycling on European roads -- not on bike trails, but the actual roads between towns
You quickly learn two important rules:
  • The safest place is in front of others.
  • The more space around you to be able to move into in an emergency, the better.
I accelerate -- and, at times, brake -- to get into more space. That's the cardinal rule of safe vehicle operation to me. I can't tell you how many times -- as a cyclist, motorcyclist, and driver -- I've seen traffic behind me blow up. I very rarely have seen it do that in front of me -- and when I have, I've had a place to move into to avoid it (thankfully). Anticipation and bet-hedging is the name of the game. I describe it as 'defensive aggressiveness' to others. Most think I'm nuts. But I never crashed a motorcycle on a public road and have had exactly one minor accident since age 18 (I'll be 50 next month) for a reason, and it ain't being passive -- even amongst the 'morons', LOL. ;D
Yep. Safest place on the road is by yourself and however you get there, or minimize the potential risks around you, is workable.

·
Registered
165 Posts
In my first month of ownership, just leaving a car park and a mature lady 80 ish! waved me to a stop, I did so wondering what the issue was, she simply said “beautiful, I had one of these (Porsche) in the 1980’s, such a satisfying roar” and walked off . . . 👍

·
Registered
604 Posts
My car attracts one particular idiot every time I drive it. The closer I get to it the stupider I become.
Interesting. My car actually makes me I think more conscientious and less stupid - most of the time. I recognize It's a car I could easily kill myself in or end up in jail with if I'm not careful. Sort of reels me in a bit.
It's those other times that I try not to have happen too often!! They still do though, of course!😦😋

·
Registered
500 Posts
The more space around you to be able to move into in an emergency, the better.
Excellent advice. I grew up around airplanes. One thing about airplanes, they are always going forward, so the pilot has to stay ahead of them. Always.

Real life example of how it works: About a hundred years ago, I was in my 1970 VW Bug, stopped by a flagman for roadwork on a two-lane road. I left some room ahead, just as you described. Summer, windows open, and I heard the unmistakable sound of locked semi-trailer wheels screeching and hopping behind me. A glance in the mirror revealed the business end of a Mack truck closing in. I put the car in first and pulled onto the shoulder as the flagman looked at me perplexed. I watched the right front wheel of the big Mack come to a stop right next to me, about two and a half car-lengths from where I had been. If I had let myself get boxed in, I may have had the first Cayman “the hard way”.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts