Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. Years ago I saw an all black 981 GT4 in a Trader Joe’s parking lot and that moment convinced me that a Porsche needed to be my next car. I was deciding between this or a used 991.2 911 S. Ultimately chose this for the handling, color (could only find used 911s in white), and options.

Picked this up a few days before Christmas and dropped it off right away to install PPF, ceramic coating all around including the wheels, and window tint. Here are some quick photos I took today.

2019 718 Cayman GTS
Chalk exterior with GTS interior package in black/chalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Congratulations. Your 718 is very similar to mine. I like the GTS logo in the back instead of the entire script.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your car looks amazing! The chalk color has grown to be my favorite.

What are your thoughts on the ceramic coating? I am thinking of having it applied to my GTS

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sweet ride, @chrise92 ! I love the chalk color and would have ordered mine in it, but my Raptor's a very similar color (Avalanche Grey) so I went with Miami Blue instead for some contrast. I think you'll enjoy the chalk for a long time.

@sjanicki Unless your hobby is washing and waxing your car, I'd highly recommend a ceramic coating. Dirt etc. doesn't stick to the paint as strongly, and it all comes off much faster and easier when you do wash. Also, you don't have to wax any longer, saving you lots of time. It's not as protective as a paint protection film (PPF), but I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well it protects. I regularly off-road my Raptor and end up with lots of "pinstriping" from branches that scrape along the sides of the truck. So far, not a single pinstripe has made it through the ceramic to leave a permanent mark. (The mailbox my wife backed into, however…)

I went with Ceramic Pro because that's what's available around here, but I don't think there's a huge difference between the different pro-applied coatings.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The chalk color looks great! It is tempting for my order, but I really love the black/beige two-tone interior option, and beige just would never work with the chalk exterior. So, white it is.

I like that you blacked out the rear lower reflectors. The bright red reflectors just look odd to me next to the blacked-out taillight option (default on GTS).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your car looks amazing! The chalk color has grown to be my favorite.

What are your thoughts on the ceramic coating? I am thinking of having it applied to my GTS
Highly recommend it. I'm really good when it comes to maintaining my cars, but for the Porsche, the long term savings from ceramic coating made a lot of sense. At $1500 for a 10 year coating, I'm saving on quarterly / semi-annual details that I no longer have to do (at $200 each). The math works out.

Sweet ride, @chrise92 ! I love the chalk color and would have ordered mine in it, but my Raptor's a very similar color (Avalanche Grey) so I went with Miami Blue instead for some contrast. I think you'll enjoy the chalk for a long time.

@sjanicki Unless your hobby is washing and waxing your car, I'd highly recommend a ceramic coating. Dirt etc. doesn't stick to the paint as strongly, and it all comes off much faster and easier when you do wash. Also, you don't have to wax any longer, saving you lots of time. It's not as protective as a paint protection film (PPF), but I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well it protects. I regularly off-road my Raptor and end up with lots of "pinstriping" from branches that scrape along the sides of the truck. So far, not a single pinstripe has made it through the ceramic to leave a permanent mark. (The mailbox my wife backed into, however…)

I went with Ceramic Pro because that's what's available around here, but I don't think there's a huge difference between the different pro-applied coatings.
Miami Blue was a close second but in the end I was worried I'd get sick of it after a year or two.

The chalk color looks great! It is tempting for my order, but I really love the black/beige two-tone interior option, and beige just would never work with the chalk exterior. So, white it is.

I like that you blacked out the rear lower reflectors. The bright red reflectors just look odd to me next to the blacked-out taillight option (default on GTS).
Thanks! I'm still on the fence about the rear lower reflectors. They're not as dark in person (you can still see some red). They look especially dark in these photos. Same with the front reflector/turn signal by the wheels.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Beautiful car! Congrats and enjoy!
How did you black out the front turn signals and the rear reflectors? Is it tint film applied to them?

I just spent the weekend, washing, washing, washing, and then some more washing my 718 CGTS. Then, a quick buff, and then applying PPF to the side rocker panels (the half front of the car was already done, although I might pull the half hood off and do a full hood PPF), and then applying three coats of ceramic. I've done PPF before, years ago on my previous car, and I'll argue that I do a better job than the so called "professionals." This was the first time doing ceramic coating, but I was being helped by a friend who's done it before. It's a bit time consuming, and you have to be meticulous about your work, but it's really not hard at all, not much different than waxing a car. I didn't do the wheels though. Anyways, my car is so clean now, I don't ever want to take it out of the garage :) Debating on whether I want to tint or not.

Again, enjoy your new beauty!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah I plan to. I just need to really clean them well first.

·
Registered
237 Posts
...the long term savings from ceramic coating made a lot of sense. At $1500 for a 10 year coating, I'm saving on quarterly / semi-annual details that I no longer have to do (at $200 each).
What ceramic coating with a 10 year life are you using? How many years has it been on your vehicle? How does it appear to be holding up and do you believe it will last the full 10 years? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beautiful car! Congrats and enjoy!
How did you black out the front turn signals and the rear reflectors?
Not the same tint film that goes on windows - it’s a bit thicker. I believe my installer just has sheets of it and he cut to wrap around the turn signals and rear reflectors. The front fog light/turn signal bar already comes smoked on the GTS.

Suncoast sells precut film for the front corner turn signals by the way. You could give these a try.

What ceramic coating with a 10 year life are you using? How many years has it been on your vehicle? How does it appear to be holding up and do you believe it will last the full 10 years? Thanks for the info.
CS2 titanium coating.

It’s only been on the vehicle for a week, so I can’t speak to long term performance yet. I do believe it’ll last up to 10 years (and who knows if I’ll keep my car beyond that). Also part of the process is an annual touch up to refresh the coat, which should aid with longevity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Car looks great. I’ve had the ceramic treatment on mine and washing the car is really easy and quick. Car looks amazing afterwards. Definitely worth it in my opinion

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
Here’s a pic I snapped today with the sun on the rear - reflectors end up being a dark red.
Aaaah, good. Because there's still red visible, it will mean a much, much lower chance of your being cited by a LEO for it. ;)

Congrats; that's a hella sharp GTS!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts