Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
892 Posts
These responses are much appreciated. I have been visiting the other Porsche sites where lots of 718 detractors exist. Their sour comments led me to investigate the 981 GT4, but I am still very committed to my 2019 CGTS order.
Quite a number of us on here have previously owned one or more flat sixes, including myself. Did I love the sound of my previous flat sixes at high revs? Yes, I think the howling banshee wailing a flat six can produce is absolutely spine tingling. However on the road, unless you constantly drive around in a low gear or exceed the speed limit to a potentially licence losing degree, then you'll rarely hear it. That's actually more of a problem than you might think, because there's no denying (at least not from me) that you can get quite addicted to that sound & I rather enjoy having a driving licence. Saying that, the sound of my 718 Boxster S has grown on me & in purely performance terms the turbo fours as fitted to them are in a different league. That's why many of us previous flat six owners chopped our cars in against a 718. The superior torque at low revs makes them far quicker in real world driving against the previous models than even the figures would suggest. As for the detractors, I find it all a bit pathetic really. After all, I don't know about you, but if I dislike something I just avoid it. I certainly wouldn't waste over 2 years whinging & whining about it. I partly suspect it's largely fuelled by how embarrassingly superior the performance of the 982/718 turned out to be compared to the model it replaced & going on about the sound acts as their little comfort blanket & they're desperately clinging onto it with both hands .

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yes, I think the howling banshee wailing a flat six can produce is absolutely spine tingling. However on the road, unless you constantly drive around in a low gear or exceed the speed limit to a potentially licence losing degree, then you'll rarely hear it.
I've never driven a flat-6 but I've heard enough of them. And most cases I'd say I'm hearing too much of them!

A big difference between the turbo 4 and the the flat 6 is the fundamental pitch. For starters the 6's is half again higher. In music terms that's an interval of a 5th. If the 4 is singing a C the 6 at the same rpms is singing a G above it. But more to the point, and this is what Chilli was saying, you also have to rev the 6 higher. If the 4 generates lovely torque at, say, 3000rpm and the 6 has to be rev'ed to 4000rpm to match it, the 6 will sound a full octave higher. That is a lot! Yes, it screams (and draws attention to itself), and that scream can be pretty annoying over a long haul. Whether you lose your license or not won't depend on the pitch of your engine but it may well depend on how you have to push it to "enjoy" that sound.

·
Registered
388 Posts
These responses are much appreciated. I have been visiting the other Porsche sites where lots of 718 detractors exist. Their sour comments led me to investigate the 981 GT4, but I am still very committed to my 2019 CGTS order.
Aghhhhh, the GT4..... One of my personal favorite Porsche's! I am a 718 lover, and your Cayman GTS would likely dominate a GT4 from a dead stop, and possibly even edge it out (in well trained hands) in a track environment. But the feel of a GT4 is only dominated by the feel of a GT3 (again, only speaking about Porsche's). The GT4 is an intoxicating drive! Like Chilli said above, to properly enjoy it on the street, you're constantly risking your license. Unfortunately, I would gladly risk my license to have one in my garage >:D

Reactions: 4802

·
Registered
186 Posts
Aghhhhh, the GT4..... One of my personal favorite Porsche's! I am a 718 lover, and your Cayman GTS would likely dominate a GT4 from a dead stop, and possibly even edge it out (in well trained hands) in a track environment. But the feel of a GT4 is only dominated by the feel of a GT3 (again, only speaking about Porsche's). The GT4 is an intoxicating drive! Like Chilli said above, to properly enjoy it on the street, you're constantly risking your license. Unfortunately, I would gladly risk my license to have one in my garage >:D
You're not helping me!!! I sat in a Viper Green GT4 in San Antonio with yellow stitching and it was my inspiration for my Miami Blue with yellow stitching. There is a small possibility that I will change to a GT4 if one appears again with such intoxicating colors. But since most GT4's are black, red, yellow, grey, or sapphire blue I am chasing a unicorn. And even when lassoed, unicorns may not be best for the long term. Life is good!!! True first world problems.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Right now, the sound of the 718 is keeping me from owning one. Not because it’s worse than the 981, but because my wife says it’s too loud in the cabin. We test drove a CGTS and I took it easy. She hated it. We haven’t driven a 981 but it might be my only path to Cayman ownership. Being quieter in the low range could be a big help. I loved driving the 718 the first time I drove it. The sound was not what I was expecting but I didn’t care. Loved the power and handling.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Right now, the sound of the 718 is keeping me from owning one. Not because it’s worse than the 981, but because my wife says it’s too loud in the cabin. We test drove a CGTS and I took it easy. She hated it. We haven’t driven a 981 but it might be my only path to Cayman ownership. Being quieter in the low range could be a big help. I loved driving the 718 the first time I drove it. The sound was not what I was expecting but I didn’t care. Loved the power and handling.

SOUND AKTOR!!
Remove the fuse and the sound in the car transforms to a luxury sedan!

·
Registered
932 Posts
When I drove it I thought the 981 was louder in the cabin. The 718 you need to disconnect the soundactor and it should quieten down a bit. I didn't think the 718 CGTS was loud as in comfort mode it does not rev much. Maybe you had the sport button pressed for the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Must be a funny sight for the dealer, if someone comes for a testdrive, to see them remove the fuse before driving off :D
That was pretty much what i did when i bought the BGTS i also left the CS with a disconnected Aktor.
Oups.......

·
Registered
67 Posts
The rumors say "There will be a facelift end 2019" and surprise surprise - there is a B6T for the 718.

Interesting if Porsche goes that way cause they told us that a B6 won´t fit in. Maybe they develop a "Hogwards" version...

·
Registered
620 Posts
The rumors say "There will be a facelift end 2019" and surprise surprise - there is a B6T for the 718.

Interesting if Porsche goes that way cause they told us that a B6 won´t fit in. Maybe they develop a "Hogwards" version...
Official source or just rumors?

I had told them about the aktor and the result but they does not care?!
Tough titty :laugh:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ah, you're referring to the other great flaw of the 718 (according to enthusiasts on other forums) - the "un-engaging wall of torque". I mean, who wants their sports car to be responsive, right?

Which gets us to the third major flaw of the 718 - even though it is too responsive to enjoy, it has terrible turbo lag.
Not sure whether older models have more of this, but I really don't notice any lag in my 2018 718 base.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Must be a funny sight for the dealer, if someone comes for a testdrive, to see them remove the fuse before driving off :D
I have considered doing that. Can’t imagine the reaction or if they’d stop me. :eek:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It would be a pity if you didn't buy the CGTS because of the SoundAktor. You can remove most of the effects if you press the button with the dual exhaust pipes icon in the center console to off. It takes away the Porsche Sport Exhaust, but there is miniscule or no effect to the performance, but it removes the SoundAktor and a low frequency humm noise from the PSE. It will work for a quick test drive. Once you buy the car, you can remove the fuse, to incapacitate the SoundAktor while retaining whatever benefits the PSE brings to the party.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

B6 with a turbo did not fit :)
It could be as simple that the sales on 718 is way lower then the thought it should be.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts