Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
The rumors say "There will be a facelift end 2019" and surprise surprise - there is a B6T for the 718.

Interesting if Porsche goes that way cause they told us that a B6 won´t fit in. Maybe they develop a "Hogwards" version...
I asked Porsche when the 'T' versions of the 718 will be available in New Zealand and was told 2020 (this may well be MY 2020); if that is true then I would suggest it is unlikely there will be a facelift until at least MY 2021. This would fit in with when the 911 T model went on sale in NZ (i.e. towards the end of the 991.2 lifecycle).

·
Registered
596 Posts
B6 with a turbo did not fit :)
It could be as simple that the sales on 718 is way lower then the thought it should be.

I for one don't believe there will be a turbocharged F6. It doesn't make sense in light of the rationale for chopping off the 2 cylinders in the first place. It's all about the environment (allegedly). My half penny; it's click bait journalism.

As an aside, I quite like the sound (with the sound actuator disconnected). With the engine loosening up after 3k miles it crackles and pops nicely in sport mode.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I for one don't believe there will be a turbocharged F6. It doesn't make sense in light of the rationale for chopping off the 2 cylinders in the first place. It's all about the environment (allegedly). My half penny; it's click bait journalism.

As an aside, I quite like the sound (with the sound actuator disconnected). With the engine loosening up after 3k miles it crackles and pops nicely in sport mode.
I am with you on this one!
But i was 100% on that GT4 where to get a B4.......

·
Registered
67 Posts
In a german porsche forum there is an endless thread about that. I realy don´t care about. Some pictures from winter tests with the "GT4" exaust on a regular 718s throw a galon petrol in the fire...
The B4T haters go crazy.

I realy can´t imagine that step from Porsche, but **** thoose days they realy have to sell cars and management don´t give a f%&e on the "history" of the 718 as they wrote selling the718 B4Ts.

If there comes the 982.2 and if they put all the digital instruments and the large screen in the center like the new 911 and panamera has. I think i keep my 2.0 boxster for a long time... ;) maybe upgrade to B4T GTS as they sell out the B4Ts.

Have a nice weekend!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The other thing is, with mileage, the sound improves a lot.... Mine is considerably louder now than when I picked it up.
Does the engine also sound different after mileage or just the exhaust as I was told opens up a bit after around 5000 km
Ive got a new cayman T done around 800km by now

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quite a number of us on here have previously owned one or more flat sixes, including myself. Did I love the sound of my previous flat sixes at high revs? Yes, I think the howling banshee wailing a flat six can produce is absolutely spine tingling. However on the road, unless you constantly drive around in a low gear or exceed the speed limit to a potentially licence losing degree, then you'll rarely hear it. That's actually more of a problem than you might think, because there's no denying (at least not from me) that you can get quite addicted to that sound & I rather enjoy having a driving licence. Saying that, the sound of my 718 Boxster S has grown on me & in purely performance terms the turbo fours as fitted to them are in a different league. That's why many of us previous flat six owners chopped our cars in against a 718. The superior torque at low revs makes them far quicker in real world driving against the previous models than even the figures would suggest. As for the detractors, I find it all a bit pathetic really. After all, I don't know about you, but if I dislike something I just avoid it. I certainly wouldn't waste over 2 years whinging & whining about it. I partly suspect it's largely fuelled by how embarrassingly superior the performance of the 982/718 turned out to be compared to the model it replaced & going on about the sound acts as their little comfort blanket & they're desperately clinging onto it with both hands .
Question is if the 718 base (I have a new cayman T) has a noticeable lag under 3000 rpm was the 981 worse?! I can’t imagine... you tell me never really driven one.. and if you get the great addictive howl on low gears driving slow, you can hear them without losing your license so what pros does the 982 have at all over the 981
I couldn’t buy the 4.0 gts for it was too expensive for me in my country the tax is so high on cars my cayman T cost me 167k !! in US dollars otherwise I imagine id go for the gts just to get the flat 6
The flat 4 sound in my cayman T isn’t bad but the more I drive it the more I feel it’s monotonous but im still doing under 4000rpm until I complete 3000km should I expect better engine sounds over 4000?

·
Registered
104 Posts

Interesting because i was wondering wher they are haven’t heard them maybe because im only at 800km

·
Registered
79 Posts
My thought on engine sound:

I've been attending and competing in sports car races for over 50 years. I have never heard anything as cool-sounding as a Ferrari 312 (V12 mid-engine coupe). That car has the classic "tearing canvas" sound that is a trademark of V12 Ferraris.

By comparison, the current F1 cars sound as soulless as an electric motor.

The front-engine Ferraris like the old Daytona, 375 GTB or even the old 250 cars, also make a great sound. It seems to be in the DNA of these cars.

I was in a 12 Hour race last year that was won by a 911. Every time it went by our pits it made sort of a loud howling, tinny sound. Not particularly appealing, to me at least. And that's been my reaction to the 6 cylinder Porsches long before there was even a 718. I'll also add that I think the air-cooled 911s sound even worse.

Well-muffled American street V8s like Mustangs and Corvettes can have a nice, muscular sound. On the other hand, I think the old Ford 60 Series flatheads sounded hideous (although they have a long and well-deserved history of success in racing).

To be honest I think moderate muffling helps the sound of most engines. Most cars that are unmuffled sound awful, at least to me.....including my own MG Midget vintage race car and the Honda racer I sometimes rent.

Years ago I became enamoring by the sound of street MGBs that were fitted with a free-flow exhaust. They have a nice combo of "throaty" moving into a high pitch as revs increase. I'm sure this is some sort of acoustic accident that was never planned by the folks building MGs. But anyway, to my ears, nothing I can afford sounds better than these British roadsters. In truth, it's part of the reason I bought the one I have currently owned for over 10 years.

The 718 engine reminds me more of the well-muffled American street V8s that I mentioned above. It's nothing special but it's not off-putting either. When my wife first got in ours, she commented that it sounded like it had a really big engine.....probably because she felt it was more V8-like.

My biggest noise concern in the Cayman is the surprisingly loud tire noise. I'm hoping that when the Goodyears wear out that I find something less noisy.

The "concern" about the 718 engine sound seems like much ado about nothing to me.
Totally agree with you about the loud tire noise. In my case it is Pirelli not Goddyears on my car. Like you I can't wait for them to wear out so I can then replace them with Michelin.

I love the sound my base 718.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Totally agree with you about the loud tire noise. In my case it is Pirelli not Goddyears on my car. Like you I can't wait for them to wear out so I can then replace them with Michelin.

I love the sound my base 718.
My 2 cents: Order Michies, find a safe secluded and deserted car park with no poles, tire stops, or obsticles, then enjoy drifting until you have to mount the Michies. Fun and done!

Reactions: JakiChan

·
Registered
383 Posts
Does the engine also sound different after mileage or just the exhaust as I was told opens up a bit after around 5000 km
Ive got a new cayman T done around 800km by now
My old base 718 2L with 50k miles was much much louder than when I got it...

·
Registered
866 Posts
My 2 cents: Order Michies, find a safe secluded and deserted car park with no poles, tire stops, or obsticles, then enjoy drifting until you have to mount the Michies. Fun and done!
I went through the rears REALLY fast. The dealership was shocked at how short the lifespan of the Yokos was. I did not miss them when I put on the Pilots.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts