Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So been tire searching and I know I'm aware of the N rating. But seems hard to find these tires available. So what are the cons with going with a regular Michelin Sport 4s thats not N rated?

Production tires that have passed all of the tests and received Porsche's engineering department's release can be branded with an N-specification. ... These markings on a tire's sidewall clearly and permanently identify them as approved by Porsche for their vehicles.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the tire size I'm planning on going to from the research here is 245 35/20 and 295 30/20. I think this should still be within the rolling diameter radius of my current setup?

Just found N rated tires for the rear but nothing for the fronts yet. Unless you guys recommend 285's vs the 295's?

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
Production tires that have passed all of the tests and received Porsche's engineering department's release can be branded with an N-specification. ... These markings on a tire's sidewall clearly and permanently identify them as approved by Porsche for their vehicles.
Not exactly.
The N tyres often get special features (construction, rubber compounds) that the standard ones do not. It's not just an approval but a joint effort by Porsche and the tyre manufacturer. The N Michelins have superior water pumping for instance. There's a thread here (somewhere) where I've posted a vid of the differences in a another marque's specified tyres.

Of course whether you would notice or use or care about the differences is up to you and your driving style and preferences.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After more reading it seems a group here had a deep discussion and apparently N and non N Michelin 4s actually do look different especially the sipes in the tires. I'm still figuring out which rear size tire to go with 285 or 295 on Carrera wheels that came on my GTS?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
After more reading it seems a group here had a deep discussion and apparently N and non N Michelin 4s actually do look different especially the sipes in the tires.
What you said. There is a difference.

But why are you looking at wider tires? On the stock rear tires the outer sidewall lines up exactly with the outer edge of the rear fenders. The fronts of course have to handle steering. Unless you are tweaking the car for competition, what is your point?

·
Registered
2022 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK White (in Waiter’s Club)
35 Posts
N stands for the official partnership tire between tire manufacture and Porsche.
BMW star spec ps4s better than Porsche N spec ps4s better than original PS4S similar to P0 PZ4 better than standard P0.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
When purchasing my pre-owned BGTS from a Porsche dealer, I negotiated new PS4S tires into the deal as the car was currently fitted with Winter tires. Not knowing there were specified tires for Porsche within the Michelin brand, I didn't even question whether they would be N spec tires. Only discovering their existence in these threads, did I check them and found they were not and are the consumer rated tires. They obviously work just fine. I have another set of wheels fitted with N spec Summers PS4S tires. Have not noticed any difference between the two. So a Porsche dealer fitted a car with tires that are not specified by Porsche. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
After more reading it seems a group here had a deep discussion and apparently N and non N Michelin 4s actually do look different especially the sipes in the tires. I'm still figuring out which rear size tire to go with 285 or 295 on Carrera wheels that came on my GTS?
Plan to install (Cup 2 or PS4S) 255 or 265 fronts and 285 or 295 rears on our 2022 GTS Turbo S wheels, but want to avoid spacers. Thus, I'm quite interested in your final decision and your results.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What you said. There is a difference.

But why are you looking at wider tires? On the stock rear tires the outer sidewall lines up exactly with the outer edge of the rear fenders. The fronts of course have to handle steering. Unless you are tweaking the car for competition, what is your point?
265 seems a bit stretched in my opinion. Just wanna go a bit wider so I'm either gonna go 285 or 295. I run 295's on my BMW.

Also I think I'll be able to improve the corning and handling a bit more next year when I attend the Rennsport Dragon Rally again

Seems like alot of guys here go wider

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
having pressed this question to death, reading much, it seems that N-spec tires are made to ensure that RAIN conditions are safe with such ridiculously wide tires on a vehicle that might be 3000-3150 lbs. It is the only information i have gleaned and so respect. Clearly, on dry the car could benefit from much fancier tires.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
having pressed this question to death, reading much, it seems that N-spec tires are made to ensure that RAIN conditions are safe with such ridiculously wide tires on a vehicle that might be 3000-3150 lbs. It is the only information i have gleaned and so respect. Clearly, on dry the car could benefit from much fancier tires.
I'm not so sure about that. Tires are much more than just the tread, the compound, and the width. It is much more likely that Porsche's requirements are more complex than just improved rain performance.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Another consideration for the N spec tires is that they were designed to be used on oem 718 wheel sizes. Normally, a 265 width tire wouldnt be ideal for a 10" or 10.5" wide wheel (would likely find a 275-295 section tire). While the generic 265 section tire can fit a 10-10.5" wheel, its really designed to work best on a 9.5" wheel. That said, the N spec version is designed specifically by Porsche to be used on the wider wheel and the compound/tread is adjusted accordingly to account for the slight stretch and desired handling characteristics.

·
Registered
717 Posts
As mentioned by the OP one downside to N spec in the current environment is availability.
I just had a flat PS4S 295 30/20 N0 and it took a good 4 weeks for a replacement to arrive while the none N spec were readily available all this time.
But generally I would always recommend to put the proper N specs on a Porsche.

·
Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
57 Posts
So most feel N0 Michelin PS4S tires are great. What about the N1 Pirelli Zeros? Technically, N1 is the next gen N-spec tires...any takers over the Michelins?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
So most feel N0 Michelin PS4S tires are great. What about the N1 Pirelli Zeros? Technically, N1 is the next gen N-spec tires...any takers over the Michelins?
Don't read too much into the N1. I think that just means that there was an N0 PZero at some point, and this was the update to that spec. So it's a version number, specific to each tire model.

So N0 is the first on PS4S (PS4S being a much newer brand/model)

I think the PS4S is superior tire to pretty much anything I've tried out there in that class. I've had them on multiple cars on street and track. It's a great tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts