Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now torn between interior leather colors and types. Aside from price, what are the differences between the Natural Leather Interior (e.g. Espresso/Cognac) and the Leather Interior? Intend to keep our new baby forever鈥opefully that鈥檚 decades 馃槑.

Registered
I believe this was hashed out in another thread regarding fading/damage to a seat.

On another note, I saw a Sapphire Blue Boxster in Greensburg this afternoon. Could it have been your dear departed?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe this was hashed out in another thread regarding fading/damage to a seat.

On another note, I saw a Sapphire Blue Boxster in Greensburg this afternoon. Could it have been your dear departed?
Possibly, but it鈥檚 new pilot resides between Denver and Colorado Springs.

Didn鈥檛 recall seeing the natural vs regular leather discussion. Should be easy to find. Thanks!

Super Moderator
Didn鈥檛 recall seeing the natural vs regular leather discussion. Should be easy to find. Thanks!
Natural leather is (or should be 馃檪) uncoated with any plastic products. It needs care, will stain easily, fade in the sun and soaks up any surface moisture or other contaminants. Most car leather has a polyurethane coating that protects the surface. 718 leather is a fairly high quality car leather.

Registered
I recall reading other threads about the two either here or on another forum. I had the espresso/cognac natural leather in my 991 and now have the standard bordeaux leather in the 718. If I didn't know they were different options I wouldn't have noticed any difference. The natural had slightly more texture to it, I think. I'd pick the color you like best and not worry about natural vs standard leather. Both options have the coating layer, I believe. I was debating between espresso and bordeaux on mine solely based on color and not natural vs standard.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recall reading other threads about the two either here or on another forum. I had the espresso/cognac natural leather in my 991 and now have the standard bordeaux leather in the 718. If I didn't know they were different options I wouldn't have noticed any difference. The natural had slightly more texture to it, I think. I'd pick the color you like best and not worry about natural vs standard leather. Both options have the coating layer, I believe. I was debating between espresso and bordeaux on mine solely based on color and not natural vs standard.
Thanks, I hadn't found anything that compared the two as you did. I was mostly worried about and durability and upkeep. Your observations put me at ease.

Registered
Thanks, I hadn't found anything that compared the two as you did. I was mostly worried about and durability and upkeep. Your observations put me at ease.
I think natural leather is more of a marketing term in this case. Guessing it's a bit nicer hide with less sanding or processing done to it. But I would think durability and upkeep should be identical. I see posts elsewhere on older Porsches where someone swears one is better than the other, but I think that's more anecdotal and not scientific. In 10 years each one is going to look equally good or poor if subjected to the same wear and upkeep. Heck, the simulated leather in the Forte I just bought my kid will probably look better in 10 years than the actual leather in my Porsche.

My only advice is to consider the leather dash/door trim instead of silver if you're going espresso/cognac. The silver trim is the one thing I didn't care for in my 991 with the espresso/cognac. I think with a solid color leather I might have liked something to break it up, but with two colors I didn't care for it. I did leather trim in my black/bordeaux and love it.

Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
My only advice is to consider the leather dash/door trim instead of silver if you're going espresso/cognac. The silver trim is the one thing I didn't care for in my 991 with the espresso/cognac. I think with a solid color leather I might have liked something to break it up, but with two colors I didn't care for it. I did leather trim in my black/bordeaux and love it.
+1 on the leather trim with Espresso/Cognac. I ordered that combo and am glad I did.

Apparently Porsche uses a different, presumably better, dying technique on the natural leather. Don鈥檛 know enough about leather to comment one way or another.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think natural leather is more of a marketing term in this case. Guessing it's a bit nicer hide with less sanding or processing done to it. But I would think durability and upkeep should be identical. I see posts elsewhere on older Porsches where someone swears one is better than the other, but I think that's more anecdotal and not scientific. In 10 years each one is going to look equally good or poor if subjected to the same wear and upkeep. Heck, the simulated leather in the Forte I just bought my kid will probably look better in 10 years than the actual leather in my Porsche.

Very good information, thanks! Originally certain our GTS would be Gentian Blue with Graphite Blue leather (Extended Racing Yellow stitching, dials & seat belts鈥lus perhaps Chalk seat centers) and brushed aluminum trim. Now waffling. 51/49 that or Gentian Blue with Espresso-Cognac Leather w/leather trim. Lovely Bride wants the former, but it鈥檚 mine and up to me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 on the leather trim with Espresso/Cognac. I ordered that combo and am glad I did.

Apparently Porsche uses a different, presumably better, dying technique on the natural leather. Don鈥檛 know enough about leather to comment one way or another.
Thanks! Recently saw Espresso/Cognac in the wild at a PCA event and it was nothing short of gorgeous. My oh my, the inhumanity of choices 馃檭!

Registered
Very good information, thanks! Originally certain our GTS would be Gentian Blue with Graphite Blue leather (Extended Racing Yellow stitching, dials & seat belts鈥lus perhaps Chalk seat centers) and brushed aluminum trim. Now waffling. 51/49 that or Gentian Blue with Espresso-Cognac Leather w/leather trim. Lovely Bride wants the former, but it鈥檚 mine and up to me.
I think all espresso with extended deviated stitching in chalk would be sweet with Gentian. I almost went that route. I would've done leather seat backs with deviated and maybe the extended dash package to get deviated up by the windshield. But espresso/cognac would look good, too. The cool thing with espresso/cognac is you get the deviated stitching on the espresso, which I think is more noticeable in the 718 vs the 991. That would have been on my radar if I didn't want to change it up from what I had in the 991.

Speaking of leather seat backs, assuming you are going with another Boxster I recommend that option as well. I could take it or leave it in a Cayman, but if I was doing a leather interior in a Boxster I think it looks much better than the silver plastic seatbacks. Another kind of neat option is the climate controls in leather. I thought it was silly, and still think it would be on black leather, but on espresso it would be neat if you also did the dash trim in leather because it would tie together with the leather trim in the center console. I thought it was the dumbest option until I saw it on a Spyder with the classic interior so the climate controls were red. Pretty cool.

Sorry, got off topic, I'm just getting excited for your choices.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beautiful and inviting interior鈥ow I鈥檓 50/50. Thanks for the pic!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think all espresso with extended deviated stitching in chalk would be sweet with Gentian. I almost went that route. I would've done leather seat backs with deviated and maybe the extended dash package to get deviated up by the windshield. But espresso/cognac would look good, too. The cool thing with espresso/cognac is you get the deviated stitching on the espresso, which I think is more noticeable in the 718 vs the 991. That would have been on my radar if I didn't want to change it up from what I had in the 991.

Speaking of leather seat backs, assuming you are going with another Boxster I recommend that option as well. I could take it or leave it in a Cayman, but if I was doing a leather interior in a Boxster I think it looks much better than the silver plastic seatbacks. Another kind of neat option is the climate controls in leather. I thought it was silly, and still think it would be on black leather, but on espresso it would be neat if you also did the dash trim in leather because it would tie together with the leather trim in the center console. I thought it was the dumbest option until I saw it on a Spyder with the classic interior so the climate controls were red. Pretty cool.

Sorry, got off topic, I'm just getting excited for your choices.
Very well thought out. Too bad the Espresso only selection isn鈥檛 a 718 choice. I hadn鈥檛 considered leather around the climate controls, but that鈥檚 a great touch. I also plan on leather seatbacks, along with deviated seat centers, regardless of our final leather selection.

Registered
Very well thought out. Too bad the Espresso only selection isn鈥檛 a 718 choice. I hadn鈥檛 considered leather around the climate controls, but that鈥檚 a great touch. I also plan on leather seatbacks, along with deviated seat centers, regardless of our final leather selection.
All espresso is still on the configurator for the GTS.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All espresso is still on the configurator for the GTS.
Thanks for pointing that out. The other natural leather option in the configurator appeared black to my eyes, so I never selected it鈥he dilemma grows.

Registered
I had espresso on my old 718 BS and compared to only "leather" that i had in my 718 CS was huge.
Way better feel, and the smell from espresso was out of this world.
It did needed more care then "leather" but it was worth it!

Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
I must say I love the deviated stitching with my Luxor Beige / Black combo. That, with the carbon fiber trim between the black and beige, gives it a little more pizzaz (esp w/ a flat white exterior).

Reactions: Treemagnet
1 - 20 of 22 Posts