Porsche 718 Forum banner

Navigation Problems

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Viffermike 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had an issue with the navigation where the system thinks you are somewhere else? On one occasion it seemed that the system thought I was in a different time zone. On another occasion the system thought I was about 50 yards to the left of my actual location and therefore was trying to reroute me back onto the highway.

Both times, turning off the car and starting the car again fixed the problem, but it is annoying and if I did not also use Waze I probably would have gotten lost.

#2 ·
The only time I've ever had an issue with GPS was if there was really low lying thick clouds and the GPS signal got a bit messed up. In that case it suddenly thought I was about 50 feet to the right of where I was and tried to get me to turn around. But it fixed itself after about 10 seconds.

#3 ·
This is the reason that I did not include the navigation in my order. I currently have a 2014 A5 and it has the worst built-in navigation system I have ever had in a car. Many times it has placed me miles away from my actual location. Turning off the car doesn't always reset it. The antenna was replaced, but that didn't fix it. The entire unit was then replaced, but the problem still crops up occasionally. On the Audi you can manually force a system reboot. That helps most of the time, but not always. Since the Audi and Porsche electronics are related, I decided that I would rely on Google maps on my Android phone. I have lived in L.A. my entire life and no other navigation system in any other car that I have owned has performed so poorly.

#5 ·
I've always previously used maps & it's only because it was standard fitment on both my wife's BMW & on my Boxster that we now have sat nav. The sat nav on the BMW is awful & I tend not to use it, but I've had no problems whatsoever with the system fitted in my 718.

#7 ·
... when you have a cellular signal.

The fundamental difference between in-car nav and app-based nav is the GPS. A phone will not work well in poor-coverage areas, while a GPS-based nav will. Also, a GPS-based nav system will be far easier and less dangerous to use in the car.

The Porsche Connect Plus package that includes nav also enables several other that no other infotainment option tier provides, such as:
- WiFi / Mobile hotspot functionality
- SIM card-based telephonics functionality
- Expanded functionality for the trip computer (measures such as compass, altitude, time/distance to destination, etc.)
- PCM Connect functionality, which provides things such as SOS function, theft tracking, and others

All that said, I use CarPlay/Apple Maps in my Cayman, and it mostly works OK, but the maps are not very detailed at certain zoom levels. The one regret I have in my car's option list is that I didn't order Porsche Connect Plus, both for the integrated nav -- which, by the way, is far superior to previous PCM versions, from what I understand -- and the other PCP-enabled functionality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.