Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2022 718 Spyder, 2021 Audi Q5
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a first world problem and wanted to see how many people would do the same. Pros and cons? I currently have a 2022 718 spyder and have the opportunity to trade it in for a 2018 911.2 GTS preowned certified. My car has 3200 miles and the GTS has approximately 7000 miles. My car is manual, that GTS is PDK. With my trade-in (over MSRP) my out-of-pocket is minimal.

It’s too very different driving experiences. I feel that the spyder is more raw and engaging (not to mention noticeable more nimble) whereas the GTS feeling more like a touring car and for that reason, it losses some of its specialness. And for some reason, seat of the pants feel, I feel that the Spyder is just as fast as the GTS.

How many people would make the jump to the 911? And how many cayman/Boxster owner feel that 911 itch that they need to scratch? I could always wait 2-3 years for a 992.1 GTS allocation as I’m not in any particular rush but I do like the 991.2 body style more.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
653 Posts
Hi all! I have a first world problem and wanted to see how many people would do the same. Pros and cons? I currently have a 2022 718 spyder and have the opportunity to trade it in for a 2018 911.2 GTS preowned certified. My car has 3200 miles and the GTS has approximately 7000 miles. My car is manual, that GTS is PDK. With my trade-in (over MSRP) my out-of-pocket is minimal.

It’s too very different driving experiences. I feel that the spyder is more raw and engaging (not to mention noticeable more nimble) whereas the GTS feeling more like a touring car and for that reason, it losses some of its specialness. And for some reason, seat of the pants feel, I feel that the Spyder is just as fast as the GTS.

How many people would make the jump to the 911? And how many cayman/Boxster owner feel that 911 itch that they need to scratch? I could always wait 2-3 years for a 992.1 GTS allocation as I’m not in any particular rush but I do like the 991.2 body style more.

Thanks for reading!
I went from a 2005 997 Carrera S to a 2014 Cayman S and had 0 regrets. Before going to a 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0, I gave the 991.2 911 GTS some consideration. But I simply prefer the more visceral sports car feel of the mid-engine Cayman. As you correctly assess, the 911 has become more of a "touring GT" than the sports car it used to be, save for the 9,000 rpm NA GT3. I think that's especially true of the 992, but also the 991.2 with the turbo engines. And going from a 6-speed to a PDK? Only you can answer that "why" question, as I obviously prefer engagement.

Lastly, as far as that being an even trade, I think that's a bad deal. I would have expected that going from a nearly new Spyder to a 5 year old 911 GTS would put $15-20k in your pocket.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Always aspired to own a 911 after retirement to relive the real sports car experience wrapped in updated modern technology. So I drove a couple 911's (991.1 - S & GTS). Both disappointed and struck me as nothing more than very refined (and expensive) GT cars. Then the SA effectively forced me to drive a 718 Boxster S and I was back in the Porsche camp....probably forever. I value handling and agility above cush and comfort (YMMV). 718...there is no substitute. This is a complete personal preference on my part. Again, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
Waiter's Club
200 Posts
I'd keep the Spyder, but life is all about experiences. Spyders are in very short supply so switching back might be difficult. If you are in a well populated area you might be able to rent a similar 911 to see if the switch is worth it. Of course by then the 911 might be gone...never mind. Spyder!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Given that this is a 718 forum, your question is like going to an apple growers convention and asking what people think of pears. My personal preference is that I'd rather have more agility, even if it means giving up some power. Also at this stage in my life and for a relatively high-end car like this, I'd rather have the newer one. The only reservation would be if your Spyder is too raw for you.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that there are many of us in this group who chose the 982 platform because it's what we like and not because we couldn't afford a 911. Other than sharing the badge and having 2 doors, they offer very different driving experiences. I wouldn't mind having both but I would not replace my Cayman with a 991.2 GTS. I would consider replacing my RS5 with a 991.2 GTS.

·
Registered
2018 Base Cayman 6MT, BC coilovers , AP catback, MRR wheels, Softronic tune
203 Posts
Depends on your goals, if you like modifying your cars I would go GTS. If you prefer to keep your car how Porsche set it up I would keep the Spyder. You can make a GTS scary fast with a tune.

Or if you value more comfort the GTS makes sense being PDK and more of a GT car. But if you like connected driving it’s hard to beat manual, N/A and mid-engine. That is the magic formula that increases the value of many older cars people seek out.

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
775 Posts

Thanks for reading!

Personally, the only other P Car I would consider over my 718 GTS is a 911 GTS, preferably the 991.2, not older and not newer.
This only with the way my mind thinks and any "lower" 911 version is just not on par with what I currently have - performance and spec.
Saying all that, I am torn as I do really like the 718 and quite happy with it.
The Jury is out so to speak whether I do or do not do here but leaning towards the "do" rather than the not do but this is not going to be anytime soon tbh :cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Similar to Treemagnet, I was initially ready to order a 911, was ready to start an order for a "T", drove some and was dragging my feet when my sales guy suggested I drive a 718 Cayman. That made the difference, the ambiance, drive quality, and smile factor brought it home for me :) I don't imagine being tempted away from this 718, should I ever pick up a 911 it would most likely be in addition-to, not instead-of. And the 911GTS is a great one. Tough choice, but for me, I'd keep my 718.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts