Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
could have bought a 911.. thought I always wanted one some day... an old one is on my list in the next couple years.. but IMO the new 911s are too big... the spyder is everything I want in a sports car... its everything a sports car should be. the spyder is a special cars... punches above it weight in performance, emotion and looks. I vote spyder all day long.

·
Registered
2022 718 Spyder, 2021 Audi Q5
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sounds like you're happier with the driving characteristics of the Spyder. I know for some people, the 911 is the pinnacle of Porsche ownership. Not me, I prefer the mid-engine balance.
I am definitely happier with the driving characteristics of the Spyder. Different driving experience for sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I went from a 2005 997 Carrera S to a 2014 Cayman S and had 0 regrets. Before going to a 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0, I gave the 991.2 911 GTS some consideration. But I simply prefer the more visceral sports car feel of the mid-engine Cayman. As you correctly assess, the 911 has become more of a "touring GT" than the sports car it used to be, save for the 9,000 rpm NA GT3. I think that's especially true of the 992, but also the 991.2 with the turbo engines. And going from a 6-speed to a PDK? Only you can answer that "why" question, as I obviously prefer engagement.

Lastly, as far as that being an even trade, I think that's a bad deal. I would have expected that going from a nearly new Spyder to a 5 year old 911 GTS would put $15-20k in your pocket.
I see what your are saying in terms of value. 991.2 GTS' are going for approx high 140's to low 150's. Benefit of trade in would be the tax benefits versus a straight sale.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'd keep the Spyder - its more sporting of a car over the 911

and, its more unique. Spyders are are fairly rare sight - you essentially have the Boxster GT4 equivalent of the CGT4
I agree with the sportiness and rarity. To my knowledge there are only 2-3 other Spyders in my area whereas I see 911s frequently lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Depends on your goals, if you like modifying your cars I would go GTS. If you prefer to keep your car how Porsche set it up I would keep the Spyder. You can make a GTS scary fast with a tune.

Or if you value more comfort the GTS makes sense being PDK and more of a GT car. But if you like connected driving it’s hard to beat manual, N/A and mid-engine. That is the magic formula that increases the value of many older cars people seek out.
I don't have any intention to mod the car, If I do, I think I'd rather have a base 991.2 for that.

Purpose of getting the 911 over getting the Spyder is for a different driving experience, PDK so the wife can drive it (maybe! >_<), and can get baby seat in the back lol.

But the GTS would never be a road trip car for me as I already have a Q5 so for me its kind of a redundancy. And I agree, The spyder's value will only increase with time, especially in 2025 when they go electric.

Nova996 had a great thought about owning both, but garage space is limited.

Thank you all for the your thoughts.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I feel that the spyder is more raw and engaging (not to mention noticeable more nimble) whereas the GTS feeling more like a touring car and for that reason, it losses some of its specialness. And for some reason, seat of the pants feel, I feel that the Spyder is just as fast as the GTS.

I do like the 991.2 body style more.
Hmmmm.

Form: 911 looks better.

Function: Spyder more special, raw and engaging.

Not even a contest for me. Function >>>>> Form.

If that doesn't convince you, put a life-size cutout of the 911 GTS on the outside of your garage door and ogle it when you arrive home after riding in something very special, raw and engaging......

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I don't have any intention to mod the car, If I do, I think I'd rather have a base 991.2 for that.

Purpose of getting the 911 over getting the Spyder is for a different driving experience, PDK so the wife can drive it (maybe! >_<), and can get baby seat in the back lol.

But the GTS would never be a road trip car for me as I already have a Q5 so for me its kind of a redundancy. And I agree, The spyder's value will only increase with time, especially in 2025 when they go electric.

Nova996 had a great thought about owning both, but garage space is limited.

Thank you all for the your thoughts.
Yeah, we bought the 996 and 997 because we could get a baby seat in the back. But once he outgrew that, the space back there become less useful. Now he's 20 and taller than me, so the space there isn't useful. But with smaller children, yes that would be a great advantage to the 911 for sure.

In our 991, I had the LWBS, which made the extra space totally useless even for storage. But that's my own fault. I love the LWBS, and I got them again in the Spyder, but in a 911 they do waste space.

One other point on the motor: I personally would not be happy going from an NA to a 3.0L turbo. That would be a compromise for me (from what I enjoy of motors). For others it would be different, based on their taste/use. A solution that would work for me, if I wanted that extra space in the back, would be the GT3 of course (without LWBS though). Then I'd still have NA.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah, we bought the 996 and 997 because we could get a baby seat in the back. But once he outgrew that, the space back there become less useful. Now he's 20 and taller than me, so the space there isn't useful. But with smaller children, yes that would be a great advantage to the 911 for sure.

In our 991, I had the LWBS, which made the extra space totally useless even for storage. But that's my own fault. I love the LWBS, and I got them again in the Spyder, but in a 911 they do waste space.

One other point on the motor: I personally would not be happy going from an NA to a 3.0L turbo. That would be a compromise for me (from what I enjoy of motors). For others it would be different, based on their taste/use. A solution that would work for me, if I wanted that extra space in the back, would be the GT3 of course (without LWBS though). Then I'd still have NA.
I see your point. I think the overall usefulness of the backseats will be limited to just the first few years with the kiddo. But still would nice to bring along for joy rides.

Personally I think both the NA 6 and the turbo 6 sound awesome. Love the backfires in sport mode on the GTS. I do think the sound is diminished though on the GTS compared to the open top experience of the spyder.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I see your point. I think the overall usefulness of the backseats will be limited to just the first few years with the kiddo. But still would nice to bring along for joy rides.

Personally I think both the NA 6 and the turbo 6 sound awesome. Love the backfires in sport mode on the GTS. I do think the sound is diminished though on the GTS compared to the open top experience of the spyder.
Sound is one thing, feel is another. I've driven the turbo 6 on track at PTE Masters, and it's a very good motor. But it's not great. It's not at that level, IMO. But again, everyone looks for different things. Just my own opinion. I'm not a backfire fan at all, so that's another issue for me.

And, of course! I do not regret the 996 and 997 years. Our child used to fall asleep immediately as soon as he felt that motor under him, before we were even out of the driveway :) I would not have owned a Boxster or any 2-seater in those years.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
667 Posts

Agree with your point of NA feel vs. Turbo 3.0. Latter has a lot more torque, but not the free raving responsiveness of the former.

BTW, GT3 doesn't have back seats, whether or not you order LWBS. Don't think back seats can be added. Eliminating LWB would allow better access to storage behind the front seats, but it would still require gymnastics to get golf clubs back there....one club at a time. And a GT3 w/o LWBS (other than Touring) would be a tough re-sell, at least to anyone that I know that has one or wants one.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
667 Posts
I see what your are saying in terms of value. 991.2 GTS' are going for approx high 140's to low 150's. Benefit of trade in would be the tax benefits versus a straight sale.
A 5 year old 2018 991.2 GTS priced in the high $140's is completely insane in my opinion. I had a build order for a 2019 ready to go in late 2018. It was very well equipped, with all performance options except PCCB. Had an MSRP of $138k and I was offered a 6% discount for a price of $129,700. Think I still have the order form somewhere. I also passed on one of a dozen or so 2018 991.2 GTS's that flooded the market in late 2019. They were Porsche NA company cars, used at the Porsche Experience Center. All identically specced Racing Yellow, with PDDC, PCCB, etc. etc. They had original MSRP's of $144k, were 1 year old with 7-10k miles and were priced at $105-$115k depending upon dealer. This isn't a GT3, so the "normal" market price for a 2018 991.2 GTS today should be 25-30% under original MSRP. I know the past 9-12 months haven't been a normal market, but it appears that we are heading back towards one.

It sounds like you might have purchased the wrong car for your tastes/needs when you bought the Spyder. I just think you'd be going from the frying pan into the fire by trading at even money for a 4 year older 991.2 PDK that is a fine GT car but has about 50% of the visceral soul and spirit of a 6-speed Spyder. And I'm willing to bet the cost of manual transmission lessons for your wife, that you'll be $30k+ worse off with that trade in 3 years than if you had kept the Spyder.

But you have my best wishes, and good luck with whatever you decide. :)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that there are many of us in this group who chose the 982 platform because it's what we like and not because we couldn't afford a 911. Other than sharing the badge and having 2 doors, they offer very different driving experiences. I wouldn't mind having both but I would not replace my Cayman with a 991.2 GTS. I would consider replacing my RS5 with a 991.2 GTS.
Plus one on why I selected the 982 platform. The 992 is fabulous, but my lovely Bride's SL450 fills that niche...although not near as competently.

Reactions: monkeyofspice

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Being is a 718 forum your likely to get a Less than objective group but then again it’s a subjective choice. I always wanted a 911 but have never regretted the 718 purchase I made. Anyway I’d drive the 911 and go with your gut feeling. Either way it’s all good!
I definitely don't regret my purchase. Taste and needs, it does suit me. Just more curious to have the experience I think. Who knows maybe the wife will let me have both. Maybe! >_<

·
Registered
80 Posts
take it from me....KEEP THE MANUAL

I was an NSX guy, had three of them before I decided I would switch to a Porsche....

Found a gorgeous white on black perfect spec 981 CS that I hopped on a plane for and drove home.
Had all the specs I lusted after, X73, etc....except it was a PDK

Needless to say, after two years I was over the PDK and had to get back into a manual, so I sold the 981CS and picked up a base 718 6MT and couldn't be happier

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all! I have a first world problem and wanted to see how many people would do the same. Pros and cons? I currently have a 2022 718 spyder and have the opportunity to trade it in for a 2018 911.2 GTS preowned certified. My car has 3200 miles and the GTS has approximately 7000 miles. My car is manual, that GTS is PDK. With my trade-in (over MSRP) my out-of-pocket is minimal.

It’s too very different driving experiences. I feel that the spyder is more raw and engaging (not to mention noticeable more nimble) whereas the GTS feeling more like a touring car and for that reason, it losses some of its specialness. And for some reason, seat of the pants feel, I feel that the Spyder is just as fast as the GTS.

How many people would make the jump to the 911? And how many cayman/Boxster owner feel that 911 itch that they need to scratch? I could always wait 2-3 years for a 992.1 GTS allocation as I’m not in any particular rush but I do like the 991.2 body style more.

Thanks for reading!
I've only ever seen one 718 Spyder on the road. Seem pretty rare. I'd keep the Spyder over the 911.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From the day the Boxster was introduced to the world, and the iterations that came from it, this form has always knocked the 911 out of consideration for me. It has the perfect proportions, curves, allure and sex appeal which IMHO the Carrera can not achieve. My GT4, in Guards Red and gleaming, now meets me every morning in my garage, and it’s beauty still embraces me. Does it need to be the fastest or have the longest [email protected]? Nope. It knows it’s value, and it’s quiet self confidence is evident.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all! I have a first world problem and wanted to see how many people would do the same. Pros and cons? I currently have a 2022 718 spyder and have the opportunity to trade it in for a 2018 911.2 GTS preowned certified. My car has 3200 miles and the GTS has approximately 7000 miles. My car is manual, that GTS is PDK. With my trade-in (over MSRP) my out-of-pocket is minimal.

It’s too very different driving experiences. I feel that the spyder is more raw and engaging (not to mention noticeable more nimble) whereas the GTS feeling more like a touring car and for that reason, it losses some of its specialness. And for some reason, seat of the pants feel, I feel that the Spyder is just as fast as the GTS.

How many people would make the jump to the 911? And how many cayman/Boxster owner feel that 911 itch that they need to scratch? I could always wait 2-3 years for a 992.1 GTS allocation as I’m not in any particular rush but I do like the 991.2 body style more.

Thanks for reading!
put me down for keeping current
car

21 - 40 of 41 Posts