Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving around 70 mph and hit a crappy pothole. I have the wheel warranty. My question is to get the warranty repair/replacement now or wait until I get additional damage or curbside scrapping of the wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ouch. I'm so sorry to see/hear about the wheel damage from the pothole.

Personally I couldn't live with that and would get the repair/replacement now through warranty.

Can you feel the asymmetry of the wheel when you are driving?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would have the tire inspected, as well. My experience is that if you hit a pothole hard enough to deform the wheel, the belts in the tire may be compromised. Wouldn't be totally surprised if you begin to see a bulge in the sidewall develop (or feel it).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ouch. I'm so sorry to see/hear about the wheel damage from the pothole.

Personally I couldn't live with that and would get the repair/replacement now through warranty.

Can you feel the asymmetry of the wheel when you are driving?
So far it drives fine. I will go to my local tire shop just to make sure.

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Having a well balanced wheel is important and on a car like this little things like that you shouldn't overlook. This being one of the cheapest things you can fix, might as well get it looked after. Even just having a shop run a balancing test on the wheel would be a start.

·
892 Posts
I wouldn't take a chance with how that tire/wheel looks. I would get it fixed now.
I'm absolutely 100% in agreement with that statement. I personally wouldn't be tempted to drive the car at anything other than extremely slow speed & for a very short distance due to the risk of rapid tyre deflation under load. That wheel rim is too distorted to just carry on driving as normal & as "Photonscience" already pointed out the tyre may well have suffered terminal damage as well. It would probably be a good idea to also get your wheel alignment laser tracked at the same time as it's fixed.

·
Registered
716 Posts
As you've got the wheel warranty there is no reason not to get it fixed. This is exactly what it covers.

And as others have said the tire could be compromised as well. Best option is to replace the wheel and tire to be safe.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Driving around 70 mph and hit a crappy pothole. I have the wheel warranty. My question is to get the warranty repair/replacement now or wait until I get additional damage or curbside scrapping of the wheel.

Yeah, I thought I was going to see a scrape in the pics, but it's an actual bend. I would definitely get the warranty fix now. I believe you get 4-5 repairs on a wheel/tire warranty before they stop covering you. Considering it's not cosmetic and something legitimate, I would have that taken care of. Sorry buddy. That looks like it hurts...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unbelievable: I sent a picture to the dealership and the service guys replied back stating they most likely will not cover it. They state it covers a cracked rim and if the tires are holding pressure it will not be covered. Any advice.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You need to read the warranty details to see what exactly is covered and what is not.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think if you puncture a tire they need to bring in a tire warranty adjuster to inspect the tires. I'd assume the same applies to wheels as well, wouldn't hurt to have an adjuster take a look.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I will have to read the warranty. However when these clowns scare you into buying the warranty stating that these wheels are very expensive to replace and the warranty will give you a piece of mind. They make you assume any damage to the wheel or tire will be covered. I guess I will go back to my old adage- everything is a scam until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Unbelievable: I sent a picture to the dealership and the service guys replied back stating they most likely will not cover it. They state it covers a cracked rim and if the tires are holding pressure it will not be covered. Any advice.
Ummm, you need to physically go down to the dealership and show the service advisor. If he gives you any problems, I would go seek the the finance department that sold you the warranty. If you're not getting anywhere with finance, I would ask to speak to the Service Manager or GM of the dealership. I would fight this one all the way... If they are selling a warranty that doesn't cover why you bought a warranty in the first place, they need to repair your wheel, then refund you for the warranty, then seek a new warranty company. I would highly recommend going in calm. They will more than likely want to help you if you're calm. I say this because I'm already not calm reading your comment. I would be pissed too! Please keep us informed. What dealership did you buy the car / warranty from?

·
892 Posts
That's an absolutely shocking reply. Whilst the tyre/tire might well retain pressure when standing, what happens if it loses pressure at speed due to the deformed rim? Huge stresses are placed on tyres & rims especially at high speed when cornering & there's a certain amount of flexing. With deformity that bad they can't possibly know 100% if that will be safe to carry on driving. As TEST DRyVer said you need to fight that all the way. Also bear in mind that should your car be involved in a serious accident there is always a possibility of your motor insurers claiming it was being driven when it was already in an unsafe condition. Either way via claim or paying for it yourself it needs to be properly assessed by an expert in the field & either repaired or replaced.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I concur with everyone else: Get that fixed or replaced STAT. At a minimum, the structural integrity of that wheel, as well as the bead between wheel and tire, is severely compromised.

I'll put it this way: If you're going 70mph on that when (Not if -- when) it fails, you may not live to get it fixed. Sorry for the moroseness of that statement, but it has to be said.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sorry for the moroseness of that statement, but it has to be said.
D a m n it Mike, you made me Google the definition of morosensess :nerd:

Reactions: Viffermike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm no lawyer but in plain english they state they should repair or replace any wheel damaged by a road hazard. I'm going to drop it off to the dealer and let's see what they say

Attachments

·
892 Posts
Their attitude annoyed me a bit & I was wondering if you'd had any joy regarding fighting this yet?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts