Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to get a 'You have reached minimum oil level' warning on a GTS 4.0 after only 6600 miles?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't this is normal, but I received that message at 4,800 miles after adding a quart at about 2,200 miles and she will soon need at quart again as the level has dropped about half way down on the display. Current mileage is 6,850.

She is a 21 CGTS delivered in August.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In addition to this oil issue, some of my gauges would not shut off. I eventually discovered, after adding oil, that it was the oil warning that was preventing the gauges from powering off. This seems really stupid. What's the point of having the warning visible and draining your battery when you're not in the car to see it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
In addition to this oil issue, some of my gauges would not shut off. I eventually discovered, after adding oil, that it was the oil warning that was preventing the gauges from powering off. This seems really stupid. What's the point of having the warning visible and draining your battery when you're not in the car to see it?

not wanting the driver to inadvertently miss the warning

requiring same driver to double down ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

not stupid

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder 6SPD
27 Posts
Is it normal to get a 'You have reached minimum oil level' warning on a GTS 4.0 after only 6600 miles?
Most likely driving conditions and temperatures will contribute to this.Dealer advised me that this is within normal limits.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got the same message (with no prior warnings) on my 718 Spyder at 1900 miles. It took 2 Qts.
2 quarts in 1900 miles is, I think, in excess of specification. Oil consumption specification may be in the manual. IIRC it’s a quart per 1000 miles. If your observation is correct, you can document, and you can get your dealer on your side, you may be able to get a new motor from Porsche. Take pictures with the date and mileage and oil level from the cluster etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My service advisor told me my oil consumption is not unusual, but it seems excessive to me. He topped it off the first time and I added a quart the second time as I was 650 miles away on a trip and I didn't want to take the time to go to another dealer.

I mentioned this to him in late Dec when we were in configuring our Macan GTS order and I asked him if I should just add another quart when it is time or bring it in and he told me to bring it in. He also said they would take a look at everything when they do the first oil change.

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder 6SPD
27 Posts
My service advisor told me my oil consumption is not unusual, but it seems excessive to me. He topped it off the first time and I added a quart the second time as I was 650 miles away on a trip and I didn't want to take the time to go to another dealer.

I mentioned this to him in late Dec when we were in configuring our Macan GTS order and I asked him if I should just add another quart when it is time or bring it in and he told me to bring it in. He also said they would take a look at everything when they do the first oil change.

·
Registered
425 Posts
After 22k I have NEVER EVER had to top up my 2.5 718S,

the only way that warning would come up at 6600 miles is if it wasn’t at optimum level to start with, ie factory filled to only ‘just’ above the minimum warning sensor level such that a little consumption and triggers this warning
OR there is a consumption problem !

my guess is the former - not filled correctly to start with.

Reactions: JDM996CAB

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
In 12K miles my car (2.0) never needed a top off - if the nanny dipstick was correct. It seems strange that Porsche would indicate "high" oil use is possible, but since we have such varying experiences by owners its seems plausible, but strange. I'm not familiar with high compression engines, but 1 quart every 1K miles seems excessive. My junker cars from college days didn't reach that level of consumption. IDK if it is tolerance variability expected when the engine is new or particular to one engine type, but I would not be happy with 1 quart/1K miles if it persisted.

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder 6SPD
27 Posts
In 12K miles my car (2.0) never needed a top off - if the nanny dipstick was correct. It seems strange that Porsche would indicate "high" oil use is possible, but since we have such varying experiences by owners its seems plausible, but strange. I'm not familiar with high compression engines, but 1 quart every 1K miles seems excessive. My junker cars from college days didn't reach that level of consumption. IDK if it is tolerance variability expected when the engine is new or particular to one engine type, but I would not be happy with 1 quart/1K miles if it persisted.
Maybe they are just getting us ready for batteries. Lol

·
Super Moderator
2,213 Posts
Porsche does say that during run-in the oil consumption can be high.
Otherwise as has been said, keep records.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Porsche does say that during run-in the oil consumption can be high.
Otherwise as has been said, keep records.
This -^.

Queue Enzo discussion thread on the religious war about engine break-in … in three…

1 - 20 of 34 Posts