Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - 5 weeks into BGTS 4.0 6-speed - 650 miles under 4-5K rpm, with a slight touch of 6K avoiding kamikazes on I-95 on way home from dealer at 5PM on Friday afternoon.
Background - Old guy ordering (probably) last sports car - ticked all the good boxes - didn't hold back. Car history: All 3 pedal - 1967 327/350 Corvette ragtop, 1970 350/350 Corvette T-top, 1973 911E Coupe modified to 2.7 liter 210 HP RS specs, 1984 Euro-spec 911 Carrera coupe, 1995 993 C4 Coupe - supercharged, Intercooled, and otherwise completely hot-rodded (miss and wish I had every one today (especially the last; well, maybe not the '70).
Why a new car: No heat, minimal A/C, wife wouldn't ride in it anymore, total money-pit (couldn't stop myself), and market got me stupid $ and I still think I missed the top).
Initial impressions -
Positive: comfortable (almost luxurious), smarter than me (not used to computers), fast, instantaneous NA response (spins like a MF to 7800rpm), 6 SPEED STICK (OMG! - snick/snick), soft top (so fast and simple), trunks (perfect for soft luggage for two for long weekend), seats (18 ways are great, but standard sport seats probably almost as good for less $ - but would miss the easy entry/exit), climate control, ventilated seats, solid feel, electric assists, Bluetooth, Apple Car Play, stereo (Burmester excellent, even with the top down and the 4.0 roaring), received the car complete and custom-specced in 4 months under MSRP, rev-matching (or not)
Negative: exhaust note (still playing with the settings, but this is a bad-ass 4 liter NA flat six - why does it sound synthesized, especially as it crosses 4-5K rpm), some inconsistent panel gaps, feels somewhat delicate compared to my 911s - hope it doesn't break, especially the electronic/computer stuff - would like to keep this one to the end, need to crawl over speed bumps - any speed gets a groan from the left front shock
Perplexed: not sure how the lights work or change with the drive settings, same with the exhaust and suspension, can you drag race it or will it break, does it actually have launch control for my manual tranny
Sorry for the long post, but love the car and want to enjoy it to the max, therefore all input encouraged. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,262 Posts
Perplexed: not sure how the lights work or change with the drive settings, same with the exhaust and suspension, can you drag race it or will it break, does it actually have launch control for my manual tranny
Did you read the manual? There is lots of useful stuff in there.
Put the lights on auto and leave them there forever. Done.
Exhaust, suspension - either use drive modes or select them with the buttons.
It isn't a drag car, but provided you don't hit anything or overrev it, they are pretty robust.
No launch control for manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,105 Posts
The exhaust note improves dramatically after 2,000 or 3,000 miles. You won't believe it.
It isn't a dragster, but if it has the Sport Chrono (standard on the GTS?), it may actually have an undocumented launch control (file attached). You definitely have to be past the break-in period to do it.
I always drive in Sport mode, except when I enter my condo parking lot and go in the underground garage. I use Sport+ for HPDEs and if I find some open road and exceed 100 mph.
There is a way to hush the synthesized sound that is piped into the cab.
You have a GTS so you have some flavor of PASM, which is a good thing, but you have to be careful over speed humps and other obstacles because the car is low.

Attachments

Reactions: DoubleD718

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The 4.0 isn't synthesised. It has a sound symposer from the intake. No fakery here, its a diaphram that opens up the more the throttle opens

Motor vehicle Automotive design Gesture Font Automotive exterior

No Launch control in the manual.

If your shock is groaning, get it looked at. The top mounts to tend to dry out.

Not sure what you mean by 'how the lights work or change with the drive settings'?

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
626 Posts
Yep, the exhaust on the 4.0 opens up after several thousand miles. I keep thinking I need to do something to the exhaust, but the more I drive her the more I like it. Mind you it will never rumble like a V8 while puttering around town though, and has a very distinct sound at 4k+ revs...

On mine, I leave lights on auto, drive in sport when "just driving around" and sport+ when having fun. It seems to me sport + in the 981 was a bit more exaggerated, where the 718 it suits the car very well and feels more natural.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Matt Moreman from Obsessed Garage tried several exhaust configurations on his GT4 (engine and exhaust are the same as the GTS from stock) and he said the best combo he found was the SOUL over axle pipes with stock muffler and the valves disconnected.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Matt Moreman from Obsessed Garage tried several exhaust configurations on his GT4 (engine and exhaust are the same as the GTS from stock) and he said the best combo he found was the SOUL over axle pipes with stock muffler and the valves disconnected.
I agree on that combo sounds nice. The over axle pipes add just a little bit without being crazy.

Also the OP mentioned the sound change at 4k-5k RPM. With the factory exhaust valve in the open/sport setting it will open at idle, close from idle up to I think 3,800 RPM, then open again. I'm wondering if that might be what @Doc is hearing at 4k-5k RPM. Disconnecting the valves permanently would fix that since they would be open all the time. Another option would be an aftermarket valve controller to allow for selecting whether it is open, closed, or has factory behavior.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The other aspect of the sport exhaust is that it will open at 3800 RPM, but if you are driving "in a spirited fashion" and the revs drop (say preping, for a turn) they will stay open down to about 3300 RPM, so a slight drop in revs below 3800 for a second or 2 and then back on the throttle the valves will remain open

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The other aspect of the sport exhaust is that it will open at 3800 RPM, but if you are driving "in a spirited fashion" and the revs drop (say preping, for a turn) they will stay open down to about 3300 RPM, so a slight drop in revs below 3800 for a second or 2 and then back on the throttle the valves will remain open
I think what I find disconcerting, synthesized and therefore somewhat “fake,” is the opening and closing of the valve at various set engine speeds. Why not just leave it closed in normal and open in sport+ and perhaps have it slowly open from fully closed at idle to fully open at say 6 or 7,000 rpm in sport? Has anyone tried disconnecting it or leaving it open? How does that sound? The fact that a few people say the sound improves with miles gives me hope.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I think what I find disconcerting, synthesized and therefore somewhat “fake,” is the opening and closing of the valve at various set engine speeds. Why not just leave it closed in normal and open in sport+ and perhaps have it slowly open from fully closed at idle to fully open at say 6 or 7,000 rpm in sport? Has anyone tried disconnecting it or leaving it open? How does that sound? The fact that a few people say the sound improves with miles gives me hope.
Ferrari has done the same strategy as Porsche with this for almost 15 years now. It has to be a regulatory issue, and I imagine it simplifies the mgmt of drone at cruising speeds.

Good news for you is that aftermarket valve controllers are available for you. For me, I’ve gotten well used to it from other cars and I like being quiet through towns and louder between them, without having to switch. I guess another way to say it is I’ve learned to drive around it.

But it’s a simple mod if you want it, which is cool.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Why not just leave it closed in normal and open in sport+
what nova996 said. RE drone, I tried the 2 minute low tech test of wiring the valves open, and it does drone in the 2k-3k range when driving "family sedan style". 3k-3.8k is a little better, but still not a great sound. Oddly for me, the drone was more noticeable top down.

I will agree, if slowly getting to 4k+ rpm (mild throttle but rising revs), the valve opening transition is a little strange sounding, but a more "purposeful" run up the revs the valve position changes blend much better. I suspect once you're out of break in and can "purposefully" mash the go pedal, you'll enjoy the sound much more. Not going over 4k in the 4.0 is akin to listening to a barber shop quartet with just 2 guys singing; it just ain't right....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what nova996 said. RE drone, I tried the 2 minute low tech test of wiring the valves open, and it does drone in the 2k-3k range when driving "family sedan style". 3k-3.8k is a little better, but still not a great sound. Oddly for me, the drone was more noticeable top down.

I will agree, if slowly getting to 4k+ rpm (mild throttle but rising revs), the valve opening transition is a little strange sounding, but a more "purposeful" run up the revs the valve position changes blend much better. I suspect once you're out of break in and can "purposefully" mash the go pedal, you'll enjoy the sound much more. Not going over 4k in the 4.0 is akin to listening to a barber shop quartet with just 2 guys singing; it just ain't right....
Thanks Guys-
I like everything I hear.
Will drive around it as nova996 suggests, until I can "mash it" as per makeadeel.
And yes, I know 4K in a 4.0 is like missing half the singers.
I drove the piss out of the dealer's tester for 4 hours, until they started texting me to see if I was alright.
That's why I had to sell my beloved "BLWR 993" and buy "Creampuff" (wife named her - white and tan).
But I want to break her in respectfully, as I'll probably drive her 'till I can't drive no more...
BTW - What's with the cupholders?
Does the left one sag with a bottle of water in it, or did mine just come broken?
Do they ever work or are they just to show how creative Porsche Design can be?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks Guys-
I like everything I hear.
Will drive around it as nova996 suggests, until I can "mash it" as per makeadeel.
And yes, I know 4K in a 4.0 is like missing half the singers.
I drove the piss out of the dealer's tester for 4 hours, until they started texting me to see if I was alright.
That's why I had to sell my beloved "BLWR 993" and buy "Creampuff" (wife named her - white and tan).
But I want to break her in respectfully, as I'll probably drive her 'till I can't drive no more...
BTW - What's with the cupholders?
Does the left one sag with a bottle of water in it, or did mine just come broken?
Do they ever work or are they just to show how creative Porsche Design can be?
I would never use the cup holders to hold anything but a small bottle of water, certainly not a cup of coffee. They are useless.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
AAAaaaaaagh!!

It's been months since anyone mentioned cupholders. I thought we had escaped.
Yes, and now I'm agitated because it reminded me of how my wife always carries a cup of ice and soda everywhere (including my car, which is a battle I lost).

Ultimate Cupholder is a pretty good solution, though. Had it in my 991 but didn't put it in the 718 because the wife also has a big purse and usually a jacket and no back seat for storage in the 718. But if it was just me in the car and I needed a cupholder it would be good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK - 5 weeks into BGTS 4.0 6-speed - 650 miles under 4-5K rpm, with a slight touch of 6K avoiding kamikazes on I-95 on way home from dealer at 5PM on Friday afternoon.
Background - Old guy ordering (probably) last sports car - ticked all the good boxes - didn't hold back. Car history: All 3 pedal - 1967 327/350 Corvette ragtop, 1970 350/350 Corvette T-top, 1973 911E Coupe modified to 2.7 liter 210 HP RS specs, 1984 Euro-spec 911 Carrera coupe, 1995 993 C4 Coupe - supercharged, Intercooled, and otherwise completely hot-rodded (miss and wish I had every one today (especially the last; well, maybe not the '70).
Why a new car: No heat, minimal A/C, wife wouldn't ride in it anymore, total money-pit (couldn't stop myself), and market got me stupid $ and I still think I missed the top).
Initial impressions -
Positive: comfortable (almost luxurious), smarter than me (not used to computers), fast, instantaneous NA response (spins like a MF to 7800rpm), 6 SPEED STICK (OMG! - snick/snick), soft top (so fast and simple), trunks (perfect for soft luggage for two for long weekend), seats (18 ways are great, but standard sport seats probably almost as good for less $ - but would miss the easy entry/exit), climate control, ventilated seats, solid feel, electric assists, Bluetooth, Apple Car Play, stereo (Burmester excellent, even with the top down and the 4.0 roaring), received the car complete and custom-specced in 4 months under MSRP, rev-matching (or not)
Negative: exhaust note (still playing with the settings, but this is a bad-ass 4 liter NA flat six - why does it sound synthesized, especially as it crosses 4-5K rpm), some inconsistent panel gaps, feels somewhat delicate compared to my 911s - hope it doesn't break, especially the electronic/computer stuff - would like to keep this one to the end, need to crawl over speed bumps - any speed gets a groan from the left front shock
Sorry for the long post, but love the car and want to enjoy it to the max, therefore all input encouraged. Thanks!
I recommend the Dundon headers with race cats. You keep the PSE in place and the sound is great. Not overboard but much improved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.