Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...this weekend I’ll be picking up a brand new Cayman S, and will be driving over 300 miles to get home. I read about the 2k mile break in period, but wondering if highway travel at constant speed is not ideal? TIA

·
Registered
390 Posts
I was so paranoid about highway driving after pick up that I found an alternate route on back roads. Took me twice as long to get home, but it gave me peace of mind and I had some time to play with various settings on the leisurely drive. If not available, what rsmith said.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There are worse things for your engine during break-in than highway driving, such as very short trips and hard acceleration. Keep the rpms under 4k like the manual says.

I think rsmith has it right. Just vary your speed and enjoy your new Porsche.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
There are huge discussions around break-in here and every other Porsche forum, with every recommendation under the sun.

I just followed the recommendations in the manual.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd think the major concern about highway driving is the lack of RPM variation, which is pretty simple to do without cruise control on, unless you naturally have a very steady foot. You won't need to come close to 4K RPMs at least with a manual, where you have to be doing 60 to get into sixth gear.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Most of the break in miles on my Cayman were on the highway since one of the reasons we purchased it was for weekend and holiday trips/drives. But instead of using the interstate highways, we took alternative federal and state highways (and sometimes local roads) and while the duration of each trip was longer, this allowed more variation in RPM and shifting opportunities as well as more interesting scenery and side trips.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m using the PDK in manual 90% of the time during break in to keep the revs up a little more than in auto to avoid labouring which is really really bad for a new engine.

Enjoy your new car..! (y)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies everyone...I leave north Dallas tomorrow am to drive down to Austin to pick it up. Will make sure to post some pics and initial impressions. Already bought the clear side markers, will do that mod this weekend :)

·
Super Moderator
1,492 Posts
Thanks for your replies everyone...I leave north Dallas tomorrow am to drive down to Austin to pick it up.
If traffic on I-35 is typical tomorrow, your speeds will vary enough, anyway ... ;)

In all seriousness: just stay off the cruise control, and you'll be fine. 2/3 of my break-in miles were accrued on a road trip from Dallas to Atlanta, most of which was driven through Louisiana and the Gulf Coast. As @MLJJ notes, back roads help, too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just had my first oil change at 2000 miles on my CGTS. Got on highway and finally took it to 7000 rpms. No redline for me, but at 7000 rpm it was singing ALL the right tunes. So freaking quick rowing through the gears!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just had my first oil change at 2000 miles on my CGTS. Got on highway and finally took it to 7000 rpms. No redline for me, but at 7000 rpm it was singing ALL the right tunes. So freaking quick rowing through the gears!
I remember that first >4k moment. Up to that point, I thought the car was awesome. When I let it rip for the first time, I was speechless (though there may have been an irreverent expletive or two), but an ear-to-ear grin that lasted for quite some time 😁

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies...made it home just fine, lots of traffic so the RPM’s were definitely not steady.

Will post some thoughts and pics soon, but wow what a car. Ear to ear grin multiple times, espresso around the corners:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for all the replies...made it home just fine, lots of traffic so the RPM’s were definitely not steady.

Will post some thoughts and pics soon, but wow what a car. Ear to ear grin multiple times, espresso around the corners:)
Glad you enjoyed your drive home! I had about the same distance you did to get home and had an equally enjoyable experience :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
This may deserve its own thread, but do these engines have to go through this break-in period?

I know the manual says so and many experienced drivers out there say they should, but when I took delivery of my CGTS, the sales associate (who is himself a C owner), said nothing about it. I think he’s a stand-up guy and I had a great buying experience with him, so I don’t think he was hiding anything from me. Alas, I asked him about it, and he said that these engines experience some high RPM (he didn’t specify how high) tests off the line, and that engine ‘break-in’ periods are outdated. He did say to take it easy for the first few thousand miles, and I didn’t plan on thrashing up to red line (or anywhere close to it) until around the 4K mile mark anyway. I want to take care of my ‘baby’, just curious to hear feedback.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Its been discussed in detail/extensively in existing threads. You'll find many opinions there. Search bar up top.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No worries. I was a bit terse. Glad you made it home safe. There is a lot of good info buried deep in the threads. I only know because I've hung around here for a couple of years. Enjoy your new car, it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just clipped 1000 miles after three months (I was abroad for a month). This is agonizing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts