Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is interesting to read other early reviews of the Z4...….
Yup - sounds like the 718 segment may be getting some real competition next year.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-bmw-z4-m40i-roadster-sports-car-performance
The Z4 30i will arrive first, in March of next year. The M40i will be a couple of months behind, by BMW's reckoning. We don't have final pricing yet, but the four-cylinder looks set to be in the low-$50K neighborhood and the M40i in the mid-$60,000s, overlapping the Porsche 718 Boxster with the promise of much more standard equipment. We won't prejudge that contest, but we can confidently predict it is going to be closer than ever before.
I'm just glad to see them make any new sports car these days really. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm just glad to see them make any new sports car these days really. :)

I agree. Competition is a good thing and sports cars have become fairly rare in the last few years. It's nice to see this and the Supra later one.

Regarding the new Z, I just hope it looks better in person than in images. I'm generally a BMW fan-boy and thought the last Z was a looker.

For the same money, the Boxster is a better looking car than the new Z for my taste.

·
Registered
283 Posts
BMW follows the more angular design language, Porsche more organic flow. If you look at the new Z4, you will see a lot of the new 8 series lines in it. Though, I actually prefer the 8 series as the larger size allows the design to flow better.

·
Registered
638 Posts
We have a lot of BMW converts here (the most-represented former marque for new Porsche owners on the forum I reckon) so it will be interesting to see their reaction.

·
Registered
179 Posts
They've improved the proportions of the car by shortening the bonnet - the previous models always looked a bit stupid because they had a huge long bonnet with a short tail and the driver sitting over the rear wheels - but I still don't like the styling. I don't like slush pumps either. And they seem to have got rid of the folding metal roof which I liked.

·
Registered
388 Posts
sounds like it is a automatic torq converter, not double clutch?

Imho, either Bmw or Merc does it for me, dont like the looks or interior :/
Competition makes the entire herd stronger! I was never really a big fan of the Z4, but the Z3 M Coupe with the E46 engine (the one that's shaped like a small, awkward hatchback), that car I've always loved, and will likely have one at some point. I've owned several BMW's, and the idea that it's not a DTC (dual clutch) is probably a good thing, if you've driven recent DCT cars. The DCT feels NOTHING like a PDK. Personally, I prefer the ZF auto to the current DCT. The DCT is quick, but it's jerky, it's rarely smooth (even in the lowest speed shift setting), not even in auto mode. Plus, the lack of having a designated Park button is major p.i.t.a!
Anyway, it's hard to compare this to any Porsche for one main reason; even if it drives spectacular, the 50%+ depreciation over 3 years is a killer! This would be best leased or purchased 2-3 years old, just like ANY other BMW (with the exception of the M2 and i8, which will likely retain more value than any other BMW). Before you jump down my throat for talking about Bemmers, keep in mind I bought one for my wife 6 months ago, and it's been so much fun to modify and drive. There's so much aftermarket support that it's not that expensive modify, even with high quality parts. With the exception of anything that has an ///M attached on the back, those are all pricy to modify.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m sure the BMW Z4 is going to be more than capable sports car. However, for me anyway there is just always something more special driving a ‘Porsche’ rather than a ‘BMW’.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The interesting challenge will be the Z4 vs the new Supra! Where Porsche owners have the friendly debate about Boxster and Cayman, in the case of the Z4 and Supra it will be BMW vs Toyota...….Porsche wins either way...…….BMW and Toyota....hmmmmm? Yes, I am sure there is some economy of scale in play by sharing development costs, there could be an issue of cannibalization.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm a former BMW owner and I'm not a fan of the new Z4. Overall it looks okay, but the lack of a fixed roof (Supra only, I guess) and manual transmission takes it out of ever being an option for me. The Supra renderings appear to give that car some weird exterior features that I'm not excited about, but I'll reserve judgement until the final production model is revealed...finally.

A Z4 M shooting brake with a stick would be a game changer, though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I’m sure the BMW Z4 is going to be more than capable sports car. However, for me anyway there is just always something more special driving a ‘Porsche’ rather than a ‘BMW’.
100% this in every way.

Any half decent sakes rep can get themselves into a BMW. It takes a little bit more than that to get into a Porsche.

You can go into a BMW dealer and buy a BMW for less than 10 grand. Impossible at a Porsche dealer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I personally wouldn't choose it above a Boxster. The 3 main reasons being
1. Im not a real fan of the styling.
2. all the screens in the interior and lack of analogue dials.
Car makers give you acres and acres of screens, but they hardly know what information to display there. A lot of people like it, but I think less is more when it comes to screens in cars.
3. The fuel tank is 52l, which is too small for my liking.

I have doubts about the gearbox and steering, which is something you have to experience, but when reviewers allready say it's not as sharp as Porsche's... Also you can't get a manual. :(

Being limited to 250kmh is also something that would annoy me I think.

I am a fan of the engine though, and from the reviews it looks like a fun machine to drive.

Another review with english subtitles, car being driven a bit faster than leatherette-Thomas.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the outgoing Z4 and absolutely loved it. The seating position almost over the rear axle made for a very unique driving experience. The ride was too harsh for long distances though. I want to get into a convertible again next spring. So I will test drive the Z4 when available and make up my mind. I'm indifferent about the new BMW design language but want to see it in real life before I decide 718 vs Z4. It feels like BMW are trying too hard to make it look modern. The 718 is just effortless beautiful...if that makes sense?

·
Registered
283 Posts
The interior looks like it was designed by someone who had to figure out where to put everything instead of logical layout. Of course, being on my 5th Cayman it just might be that I like what I am very used to/comfortable using...………:).

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought the last gen Z4 as an "Upgrade" to my 10 year old MX-5. Good looking, but for a roadster it had all the spirit of mom's station wagon; such a disappointing car. The only reason I had it more than a year is that it took Porsche 5 months to get me my BS. Looks like they've upped their game though and are finally offering an M edition again. I still don't see myself going back. Certainly not after after driving the Porsche.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
The interesting challenge will be the Z4 vs the new Supra! Yes, I am sure there is some economy of scale in play by sharing development costs, there could be an issue of cannibalization.
There will be more than an issue: the two cars will share almost everything below the skin.

I'm one of the 'BMW converts' that was mentioned earlier, and I've been following the development of this and the Supra hyper-closely for a couple of years now. I'm not a fan of the new Z4 (though unlike @Grasshopper , I am glad that it opted to get rid of the hard top for weight reasons, and actually really dig the shooting-brake look of previous Z3s and Z4s.). Two big reasons for this:
- No DCT. It's a good ol' ZF8. Again. Great transmission for what it is, but it's not a DCT -- and, therefore, it's limited.
- No planned ///M variant. This bodes badly for BMW's sporting intentions for the car -- and it's the main reason I don't believe it will come close to competing with the 718 as an all-around sports roadster.

That said, the Supra is rumored strongly to have a hybrid variant that will be available either at launch or soon after -- a hybrid Supra mule has been spotted/heard in multiple places. (Some of you may recall that the Lexus LC launched with a similar strategy last year.) My prediction is that BMW won't adopt that hybrid powertrain (or the coupe body style, but that's another post) for the Z4 until LCI -- likely 2021 -- and by then the car may actually compete with a next-gen 718 if it's also a hybrid -- which I personally believe it will be.

As for the new one ... well, it is what it is. And that's not a Porsche. Not even close.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
The video above shows it badged as M40i
That's not an ///M variant with Sxx internals developed by BMW M GmbH. (Bimmerheads will know what I'm referring to). That's simply using the letter to imply a slightly higher-performance version of a base car by BMW AG -- essentially, one with the six-pot B58 engine.

To help with the distinction, here's a breakdown of the 2 Series:
2xxi = base 2 Series with four-cylinder engine
M2xxi = higher-line 2 Series with six-cylinder engine
M2 = performance-oriented 2 Series with some Sxx internals developed by BMW M
M2CS = performance-oriented 2 Series with more Sxx internals and bodywork developed by BMW M

BMW has admitted to there being no plans for any Z4 with BMW M involvement. This is likely a function of the development agreement with Toyota.

Current BMW naming convention would denote such a car as Z4M, as it did for the second-gen models in 2006-08.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts