Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would try to post this here and see if I get more responses than my initial post. Anyway--most of you know how this goes. I talked my wife into a manual gear box and have gone in a completely different direction. I have kept it fairly basic except for adding sport chrono. Thoughts on the build?
The Porsche Code*

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd get the PASM, then maybe PTV. If your worried about cost you can upgrade the wheels and exhaust anytime. But if you don't plan on being super aggressive anyway you'll be fine the way it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
PASM needed before anything else. That's the advice I got from the instructors at Silverstone.

Personally I would have it instead of Sport Chrono if budget didn't allow both.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I posted this a few minutes ago but it didn't appear so if this is redundant sorry. I ordered my 718 in May and received it in July. The most amazing car I have ever owned. I had a 2014 981 Boxster but you couldn’t get a lot of the options on it that I wanted. Last year my wife got a 2016 Macan and it had all the comfort creatures that I wanted. After driving it and learning that the 718was an entirely different car and had all the options I wanted I decided to geta 718. The best decision I have evermade when buying a car. It is fantasticand better in almost every aspect than the 981. I bought the base because I don’t track or race the car and put the extra money into extras. A comment for the 981 drivers that complained about Porsche raising the price of the base by$4000. Well the base has almost the same performance as the 981S which costs $12,000 more than the base, I look at it as getting the same performance as the 981S for about $8,000 less plus all the other better features. I don’t complain about the extra $4,000 for all the improvements I got. As for the build, look at the max price you want to spend, decide whether you want performance or comfort items and start from there. I went for comfort and the total cost was $82,205. For me the must items were keyless entry and start, blind side warning, and adaptive cruisecontrol. I have ACC the Macan and use itall the time. We drove from San Diego toLas Vegas last week, I set it at 80 mph and never touched the brake or accelerator for 3 hours until we stopped around Barstow CA. It is fantastic in stop and go or heavy traffic. It just station keeps about one car length behind the car in front and if they stop so do you. When they start, touch the gas and it just keeps following them. All you do is guide the car. If you have it on but not engaged it will give you a warning when you are getting dangerously close thecar in front and pump up the brakes so if you touch the pedal it will immediately give you max braking. Just anice safety feature.
After receiving the car I had Flight Shield Sapphire V1 coating put on the whole car and then expel ultimate put on the front back to the doors, the mirrors, and all edges. With the Sapphire V1 Nano coating no more waxing and polishing. Just hose the car off and dry it. I have had it on the Macan for one and one half years and only wash it with water when it gets very dirty. Most of the time I use a waterless spray and just rub it off. I there is dirt that may have gritty substances in it then I spray wash it. I put the Smart Top module on it and the model for the 718 has more features than the one for the 981. I really enjoy walking towards the car hitting open on the fob 3 times and when I arrive at the car the top isdown. When I get out I hit the close button and by the time I am out of the car it is closed. I almost always get in and out with the top down,nice for an old man to just step in and out of the car. Last week I installed the T-Design memory module which keep the sport mode, and engine cutoff switches in their last position when you start the car. Almost all the time I would come to my first stop and the engine would shut down. I would then hit the button to turn off that feature. Now it is off all the time. If you like the start/stop then you are in luck with the way the car is set up. Just get what you can afford because any 718 will be a wonderful car.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just washing with water alone is a great idea especially once you have those clear films on and make sure to wash often. Going to those coin operated car washes is an inexpensive way to go about it. Do you have a power washer at home or do you just go somewhere to spray it down?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fortunately there is one of the coin operated car washes that has the wands that you use to spray the car yourself. It has a very high pressure so I cleans very well. Here I get 6 minutes for $2. With the Sapphire V1 on the rims, the brake dust washes off very with the spray and then I dry the car not to clean it but sometimes the recycled water seems to be a little dirty and will leave bad water spots if you don't dry it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok--after going to the dealer this past Saturday I have made a few changes to my build. Decided to go with GT Silver instead of Black. After seeing the GT Silver in person it looks great. Also--changed the interior to partial leather Black/Bordeaux Red--which is nice with the GT Silver. I am sticking with MT but not adding Sport Chrono as of now? Also debating over 19" or 20" tires. Anyway her is the updated build code.

The Porsche Code*

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd definitely stick with the 20's. They just look perfectly sized for it. So far seems pretty well spec'd out man ! Love the color combo as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The way i see it, if this is mostly for street use then go for 20's but if you really want to go for a mix of street and track where you do more tracking than the typical owner on that same set of wheels, then go with 19's.

Fortunately I haven't heard anything negative about going for either out of all the reviews out currently.

·
Registered
254 Posts
With the 19's it gives you with some play room to get a nice tire with enough sidewall to do well for Tracking. The more sidewall, the better heat holds up in the tires and spreads, the more traction you're getting to hit those apex's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok--after going to the dealer this past Saturday I have made a few changes to my build. Decided to go with GT Silver instead of Black. After seeing the GT Silver in person it looks great. Also--changed the interior to partial leather Black/Bordeaux Red--which is nice with the GT Silver. I am sticking with MT but not adding Sport Chrono as of now? Also debating over 19" or 20" tires. Anyway her is the updated build code.

The Porsche Code*
Nice! I also went with GT Silver, partial leather Black/Bordeaux Red, MT, 19s, and added Sport Chrono, PTV, PASM. I think the GT Silver with the Black/ Bordeaux seats really pop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts