Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon

Just dropping in to say we have a new Cayman S coming Jan 28th (on the RoRo boat as we speak...based on the porsche tracking app.) and are really excited about taking delivery. I love seeing the comments and recommendations here and will post pictures once we take ownership...

Question; Is there actually a "break-in" period with these cars?

Keep those great discussions going.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,312 Posts
Congratulations and welcome. There are a few of us (several?) hoping to get our cars this month. I bought mine yesterday (landed in port Jan 3), but I'm still waiting for it to get to my house.

You should do a search on break-in. There are different opinions on that. I think we mostly all agree that there is a break-in period, but we have different plans for it maybe. I will be on a 1000 mile plan. Others are on a 2,000 plan, which is specified in the North American manual. Someone from Europe will have to say what the current EU book says.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good afternoon

Just dropping in to say we have a new Cayman S coming Jan 28th (on the RoRo boat as we speak...based on the porsche tracking app.) and are really excited about taking delivery. I love seeing the comments and recommendations here and will post pictures once we take ownership...

Welcome to the forum.

My new Cayman is currently in production. Hope to have it early March :)

This is what the manual has to say:

Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
Waiter's Club
52 Posts
Good afternoon

Welcome rcreed44! What ship are you on?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Glad to have you aboard and congrats on your new steed. I'm frequently a shoot from the hip guy, but followed Porsche's US break-in directive with our CPO BS and plan to do so again with the new GTS upon arrival.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,461 Posts
Welcome to our madness. All good advice here. Can't wait to see photos of your new steed. My break-in just completed. Followed Porsche's advice for my model and spec. Starting to do some galloping. Bumblebee is taking on a new life. So, in my case, doing it by the book seems to be working just fine.

Mantra: shiny side up; rubber side down..... :D

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good afternoon

My SA tells me it's very important to do these things:

1. Warm up the car to 180 degrees before driving. The temp of the car is the most important factor in the break-in period.
2. Don't use cruise control. Vary the speeds, use the paddles, etc.

1k miles in, you can go balls out... but remember to warm up the car as a rule of thumb.

I just hit 1500 and on the first nice day, I'm gonna go bananas. I still haven't even used Sport +. I want to wait for the first nice day of Spring. Taking delivery of a car in the middle of winter is weird haha.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,312 Posts
1k miles in, you can go balls out... but remember to warm up the car as a rule of thumb.
Just remember you want the oil temp up also. Water temp comes up quickly on modern cars, but the oil temp still takes a while. I won’t rev any engine at any age very hard until that oil temp is up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good afternoon

Welcome and I am sure much excitement re the impending arrival of your Cayman S...I took delivery of a GTS 4.0 last year and it is just fantastic. Download the Porsche app "Good to Know" and go the section entitled "Same Driving Pleasure, More Safety etc..." there is a section at reference point 8000 246 on recommended run in procedures which most people seem to follow.
Enjoy

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just remember you want the oil temp up also. Water temp comes up quickly on modern cars, but the oil temp still takes a while. I won’t rev any engine at any age very hard until that oil temp is up.
I just meant temp in general, as I make sure both are out of the "blue" marker, but yes, for sure.

They both take about 10 minutes to get up to temp for me. I find myself waiting 15 minutes while I peruse my FLAC collection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts