Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three and a half months after placing my order, I recently took delivery of my 2018 Cayman MT6 (GT silver, black/bordeaux red). In the few weeks I have owned it I have had a full front, rockers and wing PPF installation, but have only driven less than 600 miles due to some family commitments. I'm also following the recommended break-in protocol as much as possible as I tend to keep vehicles a long time.

This is not my first two seat, mid-engine, flat four cylinder Porsche, as one of my previous sports cars was a 914 daily driver for 10 years. Although my wife and I have / had a number of family/utility vehicles (sedans, station wagons, suv's, pickups), I have been fortunate enough to own the following:

1962 Alfa Romeo Giulietta (my first car, blew it up)
1966 Austin Healy Sprite (with a Judson supercharger)
1973 Porsche 914 1.7 (daily driver for 10 years)
1974 Porsche 914 2.0 (project car with my son, replaced transaxle and painted)
2004 Mazdaspeed MX5 (fun, low cost commuter)
2005 Lotus Elise (with Lotus Sports Suspension)

My last car was the Lotus, which I sold in January. It was brilliant for what it was designed to do, but completely impractical in most every other way; small, noisy, rough riding, hard to enter/exit, no luggage space, but it brought a smile to my face every time I drove it. My wife has bad knees and was at a point where she couldn't get in/out without a lot of effort, so a change was in order. I have friends with Porsches and have long admired their engineering and quality (I'm a retired mechanical engineer), so I told my wife I was going to sell the Lotus and was considering a Cayman. For Christmas she got me a day at the California PEC. I used it as a 90 minute test drive to see how I liked the Cayman. Afterward, I was sold and placed an order. Even though it weighs a thousand pounds more than the Lotus, the power-to-weight ratio is about the same, and I was impressed with the crisp handling and neutral balance. Plus it rides better, is quieter, has luggage space and my wife can now join me again. In summary the Lotus is very raw, the Porsche much more refined. Both great to drive in their own right.

Like many, I tracked the ship from Germany to England, across the Atlantic to Nova Scotia, down the eastern US cost to Georgia, through the Panama Canal and finally up to San Diego. A 36 day drip. I got a webcam picture of the ship going through the Panama Canal.

I have been grazing this forum for a while and have learned a lot. Looking forward to many years/miles behind the wheel!

-Mark

· Registered
720 Posts
Another new Cayman owner who is a retired mechanical engineer and has owned a Sprite, Miata, Lotus and Alfa!

I like it!

Like you, I keep cars a long time and so far (4150 miles in about 6 months) mine looks like a keeper. The weight of this two seater was slightly off-putting (I also own a Lotus 7). But it is such a refined and well-finished street car that I can accept it.

I find mine a bit noisy, but mostly it's tire-noise and after all, it is a sports car.

My wife and I also did a day at PEC (but in Atlanta). It was the first time she'd ever spun a car.

http://vintageracer.tripod.com/trip.html

Congrats on your new Cayman. Enjoy!

Reactions: ttmap

· Registered
344 Posts
Three and a half months after placing my order, I recently took delivery of my 2018 Cayman MT6 (GT silver, black/bordeaux red).
You have great taste in color combinations. :laugh:

· Registered
63 Posts
Another new Cayman owner who is a retired mechanical engineer and has owned a Sprite, Miata, Lotus and Alfa!
Now if you also owned a Model T I would be really impressed! (mine is a 1915 Touring).

I enjoyed the photos in the link you provided, particularly the ones of your old race cars back in the day. It also turns out that we wore the same black frame glasses back in the 60's, as did everyone else- yeah baby!

· Registered
720 Posts
Now if you also owned a Model T I would be really impressed! (mine is a 1915 Touring)…..
No Model Ts or Model As.

But I do currently have a "rough approximation" of a Curved Dash Oldsmobile. I drive it in our local St. Pat's Day Parade every year and I'm driving it in a local town parade next weekend.

I was just talking with a friend yesterday about building a Model T Speedster. Would be the absolute bee's knees for vintage hillclimb.

I still have a pair of those big goofy black glasses. My wife thinks they're hilarious!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.