Porsche 718 Forum banner

New CGTS

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Soda 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have purchased a new 2018 Agate Grey Cayman GTS with a manual transmission. I am amazed at how good this car is. To me, it is the perfect size and balance of handling and power. I quickly found this forum while researching what to do about mounting a front plate (my state is communist and no front plate is a reason for getting pulled over) and haven't really stopped reading threads here since. I might as well join!

Soda

#9 ·
Congratulations! I have a CS and used the Skene Design mounting bracket. You could use it too, it will not fit as well because the CGTS has a functional center radiator and if you mount the plate low, you will impede the airflow to the radiator. However, you can mount the plate high and the Skene bracket will avoid putting visible holes on the bumper, as it mounts under the upper lip of the center radiator opening.

Another option is the Platypus bracket which mounts on the tow hook hole to the right of center. No hole drilling but it looks fugly...

#10 ·
I'm still a big fan of using the standard Porsche plate bracket held to the proper location with trim tape and T-nuts. My plate has now been on for over a year with absolutely no signs of coming loose. I check it regularly but really have no concerns. To me it looks great and there are no concerns with setting off sensors. Here's a photo:
Car Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Supercar

#11 ·
While a good mostly permanent solution, I want to be able to easily remove the front plate when I go to cars & coffee and other events so the Porsche plate mount is definitely not on my list. I looked at the Skene mount and I might end up with it eventually but I'm going to try the Rennline tow hook mount first to see if I can live with the plate covering a portion of the turn signal and being off-center on the car. I don't like the idea of removing and then reinstalling the Skene mount screws often.. I think the mount holes will eventually weaken/elongate and the mount will be loose.

#16 ·
I had the Skene but could not convince myself that the mount would be right. I was not going to mount it and drill holes on the bottom of my bumper only to find that the whole thing is off center, twisted, sticking out too far, or just not lining up properly. The solution I showed above worked great for me. I did not invent it but basically did what someone else on the forum did and documented beautifully for all of us. Can I remove it? Yes but probably not easily. The reality is that I don't need to nor want to. My state requires both plates and I can deal with that. However if I decide to sell the car down the road the bumper will be undrilled.
BTW, I also had the Platypus. I liked that mount a lot but it set off the sensors and my wife didn't really like the off-center look. Having seen a few cars on the road with towhook mounts, I now tend to agree with her.
MOO

#17 ·
Yes, the off-center look on the Cayman might not work for me, but the tow hook mount still seems like the least intrusive method for mounting a front plate... so I'm going to try that first. I might end up where you did in the end. I have the stock Porsche mount and I have some 3M adhesive tape...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.