Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
580 Posts
Got a new foam cannon for Father’s Day that I was dying to try out. It’s the MTM Hydro 28.
Foam goes on so we’ll. (Pics posted out of order but you get the idea)

View attachment 43627
View attachment 43620
View attachment 43628
View attachment 43623
View attachment 43626
View attachment 43622
View attachment 43621
View attachment 43625
View attachment 43624
View attachment 43619

Had one included with my Karcher "car" kit and think they are great.
Been experimenting with the different foams available and using an Apple Fragrance at the moment, after using all my bubble gum scented one.
Brilliant bit of kit to clean our cars with and can well recommend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have not conducted or looked at any side by side comparisons but I like to think my foam cannon is not a car cleaning gimmick. If it is, I'm ok with the delusion because I think the whole process is fun and the car looks really cool covered with foam.

I have however seen special laundry detergents meant for microfiber cloths and no way no how am I ever buying any of that even if it's not a gimmick. YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME, MARKETING EXECUTIVES!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've been considering these for quick winter wash jobs. What are you using for a power washer? The word on the streets is that the electric ones don't have enough flow to foam as well as the gas (petrol) powered ones, but I don't know that I would drag a gas powered unit out very regularly. Especially in below freezing temps.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm using a very basic Karcher electric (120V) that does somewhere in the 1000PSI range. It foams fine.

rhitee93 - What is your goal? Foaming alone won't get the car clean. It may take some loose dirt off a bit better than just throwing soap at the car, but you still need to make a pass with your sponge/towel/etc to get the car clean. Adding a foamer generally makes the progress take longer, especially since you mentioned "dragging a gas powered unit out" - getting the thing out and setting it up is another step in the process. You still need to wash/rinse/etc.

For washing, I've been doing foamer + two bucket, air dry with a McKees car dryer and light spot cleaning by dabbing with a drying towel. This is about as scratch averse as you can get.

However, like gfspencer, I have to be mindful of water use too as we live in adjacent counties. So, I'm on the ONR camp too. It turned out OK!

This pic is post ONR: ("Big Red Sponge" plus two MF wipe&dry towels)
Car Tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

And since I hadn't sealed the car since I bought it, I threw some 303 Graphene coating on it the next morning:
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Tire

The ONR is nice, my Boxster rarely gets packed with dirt DIRTY. I still need to figure out a good process for ONR on a very dirty car. The two cars that get dirty at my house have pretty thrashed paint though, so... not much science there. The beauty of the ONR is I can do the entire car in the garage, avoiding the sun cooking the water before I can eliminate it from the surface.

Also, you can see my drying towel and air dryer on the wall on the driver's side of the Boxster.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I have a few of these foaming sprayers/cannons. Three of them have connectors that require the use of a pressure washer. I have a Ryobi that provides somewhere around 1200 - 1400psi for those. I also have a cannon that connects to a garden hose. This is the one I use most often as it's the easiest and quickest to the draw. There's good street pressure where I am - around 90psi - so it makes decent foam. I don't think it makes much of a difference to the end results, which I use to foam up the car. The end result is a clean car. This ain't rocket science.

This is the hose connect version - seems is not available ATM. A lot of covid car washers I guesss.

This is one of the pressure washer cannons - see above lol

The other two I purchased a few years ago. I think Pepboys and maybe Autozone. Again, they all work and make the car foamy and then clean :)

Edit: I just viewed the video of the hose connect version and I have to say, they didn't do themselves any favors. I get a consistent white frothy foam when I use it. But alas, it's "not currently available" 😜

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
580 Posts
I've been considering these for quick winter wash jobs. What are you using for a power washer? The word on the streets is that the electric ones don't have enough flow to foam as well as the gas (petrol) powered ones, but I don't know that I would drag a gas powered unit out very regularly. Especially in below freezing temps.

I have a Karcher K4 with the Home and Car Care kit so it came with the Foam attachment already.
Believe this is up to 130 Bar so quite powerful and more than enough to clean my car very nicely thank you :cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
rhitee93 - What is your goal? Foaming alone won't get the car clean. It may take some loose dirt off a bit better than just throwing soap at the car, but you still need to make a pass with your sponge/towel/etc to get the car clean. Adding a foamer generally makes the progress take longer, especially since you mentioned "dragging a gas powered unit out" - getting the thing out and setting it up is another step in the process. You still need to wash/rinse/etc.
My car is a year round daily driver, but there is no way I am going to regularly do a proper wash when it is below freezing out. It would be nice to foam it up and power wash it off to get the bulk of the road grime and salt spray off. Similar to what I do at the coin-op places.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a Karcher K4 with the Home and Car Care kit so it came with the Foam attachment already.
Believe this is up to 130 Bar so quite powerful and more than enough to clean my car very nicely thank you :cool:
I’m using the K2 Plus (1600 PSI), looks like the K4 is 1900PSI. I can say my K2 Plus has been doing just fine, though after a few years I feel like the pressure has started to weaken a bit.

It would be nice to foam it up and power wash it off to get the bulk of the road grime and salt spray off. Similar to what I do at the coin-op places.
(y) Makes sense, should be great. For your purpose, something like this might be useful as well to blast crud + packed spray residue off the chassis: Adam's Undercarriage Cleaner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts