Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well you may be waiting a while for the track update. Though I did have fun at the PEC event, it's not really my thing. I already have too many time/fiance consuming hobbies :rolleyes: I think there are a few guys here that track these rotors. They probably have good insight about their performance on the track.

Regarding the dust, if I have to quantify it, I'd say 20% of the OEM setup. I have to assume some of the buildup is road grime which would appear even on PCCB equipped cars. It really is a light dust vs the heavy dust coating I experienced with the OEM brakes. The cleanup for me when not washing the car, consists of a quick wipe down with a damp microfiber cloth. I would use the same method when I had the OEM brakes when not washing the car, but I can say the grime was more persistent. It definitely took more effort to get the wheels looking good. I think if PCCBs aren't in the equation, then these are the next best option.

I have been looking at various 911s and PCCBs were a priority as I really didn't want to be dealing with heavy brake dust buildup on the wheels of another car. But that mindset has changed because I think these are a really good option.
Thank you very much for the time you spent to record your detailed observations.

In similar fashion, I originally intended to option PCCB's on our GTS build. However, given the large amount of track days planned, I no longer believe PCCB's are the most cost efficient option for my intended use. Lately, I've been leaning toward the Girodisc/EBC Red option and your your comments effectively solidify my position.

The enormous amount of brake dust accumulation we experienced with our BS drove me BSC. The fact that buildup seemed to occur almost instantaneously after every cleaning made me hesitant to take the occasional quick ride. An 80% reduction is nothing short of a miracle and would mean I'd be more likely to randomly drive the new steed, rather than other options.

Cheers!

Reactions: GTS18BGTS

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thank you very much for the time you spent to record your detailed observations.

In similar fashion, I originally intended to option PCCB's on our GTS build. However, given the large amount of track days planned, I no longer believe PCCB's are the most cost efficient option for my intended use. Lately, I've been leaning toward the Girodisc/EBC Red option and your your comments effectively solidify my position.

The enormous amount of brake dust accumulation we experienced with our BS drove me BSC. The fact that buildup seemed to occur almost instantaneously after every cleaning made me hesitant to take the occasional quick ride. An 80% reduction is nothing short of a miracle and would mean I'd be more likely to randomly drive the new steed, rather than other options.

Cheers!
EBC Red won't be a good option for the track. Girodisc sure, but you'll want a different pad.

With that said, don't underestimate the OEM equipment. I've done 6-7 track days in my GTS on the original factory rotors and pads. All I did was change out for high temp brake fluid. I priced out replacement costs on the GTS parts, and they were extremely affordable. Half the cost of Girodisc.

GT4/Spyder parts on the other hand, are about the same price as Girodisc

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
EBC Red won't be a good option for the track. Girodisc sure, but you'll want a different pad.

With that said, don't underestimate the OEM equipment. I've done 6-7 track days in my GTS on the original factory rotors and pads. All I did was change out for high temp brake fluid. I priced out replacement costs on the GTS parts, and they were extremely affordable. Half the cost of Girodisc.

GT4/Spyder parts on the other hand, are about the same price as Girodisc
Concur regarding OEM equipment being a very good choice at the track. I never experienced any brake fade whatsoever at high or low speed circuits and the only change was using Motul RBF 600.

My sole issue with the OEM brakes is their prolific brake dust production...it's literally incredible and a total PITA. Thus, the reason I'm searching for brakes that perform as well as OEM (road and track) and produce significantly less dust than Mount Pinatubo.

I don't recall hearing any negatives regarding EBC Reds at the track. What makes them an inferior track option? Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Concur regarding OEM equipment being a very good choice at the track. I never experienced any brake fade whatsoever at high or low speed circuits and the only change was using Motul RBF 600.

My sole issue with the OEM brakes is their prolific brake dust production...it's literally incredible and a total PITA. Thus, the reason I'm searching for brakes that perform as well as OEM (road and track) and produce significantly less dust than Mount Pinatubo.

I don't recall hearing any negatives regarding EBC Reds at the track. What makes them an inferior track option? Thanks!
Unfortunately, this is a case where compromises must be made. All brake compounds have a temperature range in which they operate best. The "low-dust" compounds are all designed to operate at lower temperature ranges, and as such, at higher temperatures (as seen on track), they won't perform as well and can start to fade. At the other extreme, really hardcore compounds don't perform as well at typical "street" temperatures and can result in longer stopping distances (and lots of brake squeal).

As an example, Carbotech actually lists the temperature ranges for each of their compounds: Choosing the Correct Compound – Carbotech

EBC themselves refer to the Redstuff as a "premium street sport brake pad"

Yellowstuff is their street+track product, and Bluestuff being the most track oriented variant.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Strong Bite. Low Dust. Quiet operation.

Pick two and lose one has always been my idea with brake pads.

You can't have everything with a brake pad. There is always a compromise. Well said!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can tell you that using EBC Yellow Stuff pads causes about half as much dust as the OEM pads. I was considering EBC Red, but wanted the additional heat capabilities of the Yellow.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I can tell you that using EBC Yellow Stuff pads causes about half as much dust as the OEM pads. I was considering EBC Red, but wanted the additional heat capabilities of the Yellow.
Glad to hear this. Do you find them as confidence inspiring as OEM pads and do they hold up to HPDE's with no fade? Also, what about noise...when cold...or warm, but not on track? Do you know if they chew through rotors any faster than OEM pads? Thank you!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Glad to hear this. Do you find them as confidence inspiring as OEM pads and do they hold up to HPDE's with no fade? Also, what about noise...when cold...or warm, but not on track? Do you know if they chew through rotors any faster than OEM pads? Thank you!
They bite much better than OEM pads. The only downside is that the bed-in process is pretty long, so you'll have to deal with squeal for awhile. They held up great on a track day...no issues with the pads or rotors at all. The brake fluid, however, needs to be high temp (600+).

I've used Yellow stuff pads on 2 other autocross cars, one of which was also a daily driver, like my Cayman. They last a very long time...I'm going off memory, but the first car I had didn't need the Yellow stuff pads removed until 25,000 miles or so...maybe more. Obviously autocross duty isn't track duty...but when I stopped autocrossing that car, it had 2 seasons on the Yellows, then daily drove it for another 3 years before changing the pads.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just want to report back on the full brake upgrade. Maybe it's biased perception, but I feel the combination of rotors, pads and braided SS brake lines provide better modulation and a more confident feel in hard braking. I gave them a good run, pushing it on some back roads today. And for me, the money was well spent considering the additional benefit of reduced brake dust and better appearance. Obviously the OEM setup is more than adequate for just about any sort of driving. By the way, the brake lines were ordered from FVD Bombracher, in case anyone is interested in doing the same. I called them to confirm fitment.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just want to report back on the full brake upgrade. Maybe it's biased perception, but I feel the combination of rotors, pads and braided SS brake lines provide better modulation and a more confident feel in hard braking. I gave them a good run, pushing it on some back roads today. And for me, the money was well spent considering the additional benefit of reduced brake dust and better appearance. Obviously the OEM setup is more than adequate for just about any sort of driving. By the way, the brake lines were ordered from FVD Bombracher, in case anyone is interested in doing the same. I called them to confirm fitment.
Thanks, had forgotten to consider the brake line upgrade...one more for the mod list.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you are a heavy track user Ferodo DS3.12 is another good option. Clark from Apex recommends these for Girodisc rotors and they are used on the Essex AP racing kits. I've used them for half a dozen track days and haven't noticed much rotor wear. They feel a little different on the street but once warmed up seem to work well on the track.

With that said, lots of good pad options out there like EBC and Pagid to name a few.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts