Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traded the 2017 Cayman S or a 2018 Cayman GTS. This was a long distance trade since I am in Tennessee and the car was in Florida. Here is a shot of it still on the lot waiting for me to pick it up.

Here are some shots of Randy Pobst signing it a couple of weeks ago.

Honored...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've heard that. I was not at the event where he signed it but I've always been a big fan.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nithros can you describe the differences driving the S and the GTS.
Engine, chassis, sound, ....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the Miami Blue Cayman club. There seem to be more joining us everyday :)
It's my second one - I originally had the S in Miami Blue that I bought in January (without researching it first) and then traded last weekend for the GTS. The dealer mentioned it was a very polarizing color and that was a great description. I am on the love it side and I guess I don't have to tell you how many compliments I get on it...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nithros can you describe the differences driving the S and the GTS.
Engine, chassis, sound, ....
Well not exactly yet since I am following the break in schedule. I can give my thoughts thus far on general things and, as you can probably surmise when you read this, I'm no seasoned Porsche guy. Note for the comments below - the Cayman S I had was highly optioned but mostly for comfort - no sport chrono, no PASM/SPASM andno sport exhaust. Here goes...

Positives
(1) From what I read, I expected it to be rougher riding but I have not noticed that in Normal mode. I can tell a difference as it tightens up with the SPASM on. Both pluses.
(2) The exhaust sounds better (read more exotic) to me in normal (inside the car the same but outside better) and obviously when it is opened up (both outside and inside). I really like that. I read where the GTS does not have the sound enhancer thing so you don't get that sudden burst of fake sound when you are idling and switch it out of normal mode but you get a more realistic sound).
(3) I did not realize it came with the third radiator - I like that.
(4) I had the 14 way seats and thought the 18 way were the exact same except for the extra bolstering functions but they somehow feel more comfortable. Maybe I've just imagined that. I am 6'3''
(5) I do not like the Alcantara personally so I have the black leather (sames as the S) but it does have Alcantara on the A pillars and roof. I don't remember that on the 2017 S but it could have been. It seems the 2018 GTS may have a couple of extra pieces of leather trim that were not on the 2017 S (like on the front part of the doors).
(6) I think the Michelin 4S tires are superior in both looks and performance the the Goodyear F1's. They look really meaty on there.
(7) The S had Nav but the GTS doesn't but using my phone and Apple Car Play worked very well.
(8) I thought I would miss the controls on the steering wheel but turns out I don't. The only one that I used the most and is a maybe is the sound system volume control.
(9) This Cayman thing mirrors my Corvette world I've been living in for almost my whole life in both models and how they release them. Using the C7 for example...

Cayman = Stingray
Cayman S = Grand Sport
Cayman GTS = Z06
Cayman GT4 = ZR1

Negatives just to make it fair and I had to really think to come up with any
(1) I worry about rocks hitting the exposed radiators.
(2) I wonder why they painted the center radiator black and left the outside ones bare metal? I guess that is easily remedied if you like black and if they were all bare that would be a lot of bare metal showing.
(3) I spent a disproportionate amount of money to go from a great car to an little bit better one. No regrets since I could. The point is - if your budget is a Cayman or Cayman S - not a GTS, be happy because you have an awesome car. I will want the GT4 when it comes out just like I did on the GTS but I won't go there.

...I'll be glad to post back later when I get it good and broke in which probably won't be that long since I put 900 miles on it coming back from Florida. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's my second one - I originally had the S in Miami Blue that I bought in January (without researching it first) and then traded last weekend for the GTS. The dealer mentioned it was a very polarizing colour and that was a great description. I am on the love it side and I guess I don't have to tell you how many compliments I get on it...
I am getting used to people stopping and staring, but they did that with the Yellow Boxster I had and the Silver with Red roof and Red interior Boxster too. Miami Blue takes stop and staring to a whole new level.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's my second one - I originally had the S in Miami Blue that I bought in January (without researching it first) and then traded last weekend for the GTS. The dealer mentioned it was a very polarizing color and that was a great description. I am on the love it side and I guess I don't have to tell you how many compliments I get on it...

Congrats!!
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Is it too much to ask how much you lost in depreciation in this very short period of time?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Congrats!!
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Is it too much to ask how much you lost in depreciation in this very short period of time?
Not sure since with a trade you never know how much they are giving you for yours vs. discounting theirs. I actually have 4 answers and the truth is somewhere mixed in all of them...

(1) A lot I'm sure
(2) It didn't matter to me because I wanted the GTS so badly and had a pile of cash laying around and could not find a match
(3) I was in a pretty decent position since I got my 2017 for 13K off sticker
(4) I wouldn't even tell my wife so unfortunately you are out of luck :)

...in general my approach was that I asked for KBB trade in on mine and said I would pay sticker for theirs. I thought that was a win/win for everyone since the GTS seems to be in somewhat of a high demand. None were available around here (Nashville, TN) and the ones (at least I would settle for like Agate Gray) in Atlanta were still on the vessel and none in Miami Blue (which is my first choice).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure since with a trade you never know how much they are giving you for yours vs. discounting theirs. I actually have 4 answers and the truth is somewhere mixed in all of them...

(1) A lot I'm sure
(2) It didn't matter to me because I wanted the GTS so badly and had a pile of cash laying around and could not find a match
(3) I was in a pretty decent position since I got my 2017 for 13K off sticker
(4) I wouldn't even tell my wife so unfortunately you are out of luck :)

...in general my approach was that I asked for KBB trade in on mine and said I would pay sticker for theirs. I thought that was a win/win for everyone since the GTS seems to be in somewhat of a high demand. None were available around here (Nashville, TN) and the ones (at least I would settle for like Agate Gray) in Atlanta were still on the vessel and none in Miami Blue (which is my first choice).

LOL!!!!

I was surprised that the GTS that I ordered was the same price as a fully equipped Corvette Z06. I personally prefer the GTS. However, how would you compare your overall experience when driving the Vette vs 718?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just thinking about this same thing today. The GTS base price is almost identical to the C7 Z06. In my opinion, the 2016 Z06 that I had with the Z07 package would outperform the Cayman in every aspect I can think of. The Z06 is a beast but it’s always trying to kill you (when you take that thing to the edge, you are facing death if something goes bad). The Cayman with slightly less performance does pretty much everything with more finess. I guess since I’ve had 9 Corvettes, I am a little jaded and the Cayman has been a breath of fresh air. The Corvette was nice but it scared me especially after I let my 2015 Z06 get away from me and totaled it out. Fortunately it was just me and nobody got hurt except for myself (14 stitches in my head). Anyway, the thing that stands out the most is how light the Cayman feels when you are driving it. The Corvette is like a chain saw and the Cayman is a scalpel.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Z06 is a beast but it’s always trying to kill you (when you take that thing to the edge, you are facing death if something goes bad). The Corvette is like a chain saw and the Cayman is a scalpel.

LOL!!!:D

I had the same impression when I compared both. In the Vette, I was reminded that I was an amateur and I couldn't push it any where near its limits. In the 718, I felt like if I was a pro... ans that was a new feeling...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the same impression when I compared both. In the Vette, I was reminded that I was an amateur and I couldn't push it any where near its limits. In the 718, I felt like if I was a pro... ans that was a new feeling...
That's a great analogy! If you did push the Vette to it's limits there was never any telling what would happen next. I don't worry about that so much with the Cayman as I feel it is more forgiving.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's a great analogy! If you did push the Vette to it's limits there was never any telling what would happen next. I don't worry about that so much with the Cayman as I feel it is more forgiving.
Congratulations. Great color. I really would love one in Miami Blue. Unfortunately my wife does not like colors, she has to be Henry Ford reincarnate, any car I ever get can be any color as long as it's black. I bought her a new Subaru a few years ago and it was dark grey. I get home with it and she says it ain't black. Long story short, I took it back after one day and traded it for a black one and it cost me an extra 4 grand for one day and 70 miles.

As for the Vettes, I'm 6' 5" and I don't fit in them very well. I've owned only one and it was a 2004 C5 Specter Werks convertible. They built a custom 550hp magnacharged engine with an automatic that had a 3000 stall converter. I thought the car seemed civil enough and put a set of four Nitto Drag radials on it and took it to the local drag strip to see what it could do. The car promptly tried to kill me. On the launch, I lost it and got sideways and I swear if there would have been another coat of paint on it, I would have hit the wall.
After some practice I was able to do a best of 10:56 @ 131 mph. A buddy bought the car from me in 2007 and he still has it to this day.
I thought about the new C7 Z06 as well and went and test fit it. Needless to say my head was brushing the top and I passed on it. I have no regrets buying a GTS either.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those C5's were nice cars - really light weight for a Corvette - especially the fixed roof Z06's like I had. That's a great ET you ran there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts