Porsche 718 Forum banner

New Hood Shield

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  xhyphenx 
#1 ·
I'm a very visual person, and the gold on the OEM badge was driving me a bit crazy. Found a guy over in San Francisco who redoes OEM badges in custom colors of your choice.

The original emblem is sitting on my desk as a fancy paper weight. ?

See less See more
#3 ·
From there it looks like it could be just a black and white photograph, can you put a broader pic up please, also do you have badges on your wheels. (y)

Reactions: Graustark
#4 ·
I will take a pic tomorrow and get it posted. I'm working on getting new badges for the wheels. I may need to print the badges on high quality 3M vinyl, and use black matte black center caps. I've reached out to a few custom places I've found online, but they don't seem to be to promising. I may need to cut paint masks of the shield, and have my painter do them. :D

#13 ·
#11 ·
As someone whose job involves brands and brand integrity i'm not a big fan of changing the crest where it is not intended or brand approved. Having said that I was never going to spec colour crests on my wheels so I can kind of understand it; but original branding in places where one expects it is desirable.

For example coloured crests on the headrests would be a real no-no and I would never intentionally spec the wheels that way either way, but I have no problem with the crest on the bonnet.

Are you planning to do the same to the crest on your steering wheel? If not, why?

#14 ·
As someone whose job involves brands and brand integrity i'm not a big fan of changing the crest where it is not intended or brand approved. Having said that I was never going to spec colour crests on my wheels so I can kind of understand it; but original branding in places where one expects it is desirable.

For example coloured crests on the headrests would be a real no-no and I would never intentionally spec the wheels that way either way, but I have no problem with the crest on the bonnet.

Are you planning to do the same to the crest on your steering wheel? If not, why?
All badges / crests will be switched to the black and white color scheme. It doesn't make sense to just change the hood badge and leave the other badges the gold, black, and red colors. It might take me a bit to complete but it will be done.

Besides working for Microsoft for my day job my wife and I own Hyphen Studios (hence the name xhyphenx). HS is a graphics, web dev, and data development firm. A large majority of our clients are in the automotive industry. Because of my hobby building show vehicles HS now manages SEMA builds for our customers. It's crazy how we started HS to be a web application / hosting company and we ended up working with some of the largest brand names in the aftermarket automotive industry.

Anyways, the reason for this little rant is to let you know that I have to deal with identity management and brand recognition often. It's been my experience that most don't really care if we modify the colors of their logos as long as we don't change the integrity of the logo. Meaning the shape. 😁

Reactions: argento
#15 ·
All badges / crests will be switched to the black and white color scheme. It doesn't make sense to just change the hood badge and leave the other badges the gold, black, and red colors. It might take me a bit to complete but it will be done.

Besides working for Microsoft for my day job my wife and I own Hyphen Studios (hence the name xhyphenx). HS is a graphics, web dev, and data development firm. A large majority of our clients are in the automotive industry. Because of my hobby building show vehicles HS now manages SEMA builds for our customers. It's crazy how we started HS to be a web application / hosting company and we ended up working with some of the largest brand names in the aftermarket automotive industry.

Anyways, the reason for this little rant is to let you know that I have to deal with identity management and brand recognition often. It's been my experience that most don't really care if we modify the colors of their logos as long as we don't change the integrity of the logo. Meaning the shape. 😁
Cool, I certainly don't take what you said as a rant. The aftermarket industry is all about changing things on a vehicle so that makes complete sense, and as I had already mentioned there are already mono/embossed versions of the Porsche logo straight from the factory.

The trend of 'blacking out' or 'carbonising' vehicle logos is very popular in NZ, especially in the aftermarket arena. Personally it's not for me (especially the trend to give everything a carbon-fibre look). Your work looks very good though.

#12 ·
I love your hood crest. I don't like the 20th century-looking gold crest on my Miami Blue car. My newly acquired Lotus Elise has a black "replacement" rondel instead of the traditional yellow and green rondel. For me, the black rondel is infinitely superior to the "proper" rondel. I am delighted every time my eye sees the black Lotus rondel on the orange paint.

#16 ·
@Chris NZ - With a little googling I found the brand identity standards document right from Porsche. Interesting enough they are ok with a pure black and white version of the crest, and a few other variations that surprised me.

I'm trying really really really hard not to do a whole lot of things to this car. I was dead set on exhaust, tune, wheels, and a few carbon fiber pieces like the side intakes, rear defuser, and possibly some carbon on the front lower bumper. However, after thinking about it.... I think I might just leave it for now. Enjoy it, and if the urge is still there after 6-8 months I might do a few of these things to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.