Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a long time lurker, but new member and first time poster from Denmark.
Since around June 2018 I have been test-driving for, configuring and planning the purchase of my future 718 Boxster, and this forum has been a great source for reading other members opinions and getting info on different options.
Due to the EU's adoption of the WLTP norm there was no chance of me getting my 718 in the 2018 top down season, but the car has been on order for a while now and planned for delivery in spring 2019.
And I am of course looking forward to taking delivery and enjoying my new car :D

· Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't gotten a date other than we agreed on no later than in the beginning of May 2019, if it arrives earlier and weather is right for it I will of course take delivery earlier.

My Boxster will be a Guards Red with black top, 2.0L 300hp base model with PDK, and a few options:
Leather interior and seats in black
498 Deletion of Model Logo
XYB Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
085 Extended Range Fuel Tank, 64 liters
395 18" Boxster Wheels
446 Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
603 Bi-Xenon™ Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System
630 Light Design Package
567 Top-tinted windscreen
P13 Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
454 Cruise control
636 Park Assist (front and rear)
625 Porsche Entry & Drive
608 Homelink
P04 Sport Seats Plus (2-way)
573 2-Zone Automatic Climate Control
342 Seat Heating
541 Seat Ventilation
583 Smoking Package
581 Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
810 Floor mats
XSX Seat Belts in Guards Red Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
XSC Porsche Crest on Headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
9ZE Smartphone Compartment
9WT Apple CarPlay® incl. Siri®
QV3 Digital Radio (DAB+)

· Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,217 Posts
Alf, I have a few suggestions for you to consider. I have a base 2019 Cayman without the navigation package (which I'm assuming isn't part of the standard package in Denmark as it isn't in the USA), but with the PE&D, the cell phone compartment with its booster, and Apple CarPlay (where I'm tending to use Google Maps because it is easier to download offline maps).

The base models do not seem to have any rudimentary GPS installed and your phone may have difficulties with that under the center arm rest. I have a Dual XGPS160 that connects to the phone via Bluetooth and allows my location to be much more accurate. Also, you may have read or heard that the PE&D may allow the frunk and trunk to open accidentally while washing the car. First off, the electronic key fob is very close range, in my experience, so it would be easy to put out of range. Instead, I've bought a pocket-sized Faraday cage holder for car washing day. Because Viffermike made me paranoid of fobs being mimicked inside condo garages, I now store my fobs in a slightly larger Faraday cage purse when they aren't in use. You may call that an overabundance of caution, but for about $30 US, I have deluded myself into peace of mind.

Here are some links for the above:
Dual GPS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E65TNYE/

MONOJOY Key Fob Signal Blocking Faraday Bag
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771J9NVF/

Faraday Bag Key Fob Signal Blocking Wallet
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4S2NFZ/

· Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alf, I have a few suggestions for you to consider...
You are correct in assuming navigation isn't standard in Denmark (even standard floor mats, cruise control and parking sensors are extra options).
I very rarely use navigation, so even though I have read on the forum that the GPS signal in the centre console can be iffy, I figured that I would take the chance with the much cheaper Apple CarPlay solution.
I did however not know it was possible to use an external GPS receiver via Bluetooth, do you know if any Bluetooth GPS receiver will work with an iPhone? (I would prefer a unit I can source in EU) and do you have any recommendations on where to place the Bluetooth GPS receiver?
I suppose the armrest will be no good as it will have the same poor signal, but a permanent location near a power source, but still out of sight would be ideal, unless you just take it out when you need to use it.

As for using Google Maps to download offline maps I am not that worried as I have plenty of data in my cellphone plan and cell coverage in Denmark is generally very good.
I do however know that it is possible to download offline maps in the Google Maps app, I just think it is too difficult compared to how it's done in the "HERE We Go" navigation app.
Unfortunately "HERE We Go" does not have support for CarPlay (not yet anyway), but I have been using it for years for navigation.
It was originally developed by Nokia but is now owned by Audi, BMW and Daimler, it is free and has world wide map coverage, and despite it being originally developed by Nokia, it has been available for iOS since 2013.

As for the faraday pouch solution, it so happens that I have been paranoid about relay theft of my cars with keyless entry and drive for several years now, so that one is already covered :D
I have however not had a car where washing it with the key in my pocket would open any doors or trunks, I do however think the touch-to-open feature is nice, but I will just have to use one of my faraday pouches when washing.

But I really appreciate the advice.

· Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it not says in the manual to press twice on the fob to deactivate entry & drive?

I have already been looking at the online users manual at Porsche iManuals but it does not seem to be possible.
Double clicking the fob should lock the car but deactivate part of the alarm system (for use on ferries or if pets are left in the vehicle).

My dad has a Mercedes W213, and on that it is possible to deactivate the fob, this is in my mind a feature that should be possible on all cars with keyless entry.

· Registered
2,206 Posts
I have already been looking at the online users manual at Porsche iManuals but it does not seem to be possible.
Double clicking the fob should lock the car but deactivate part of the alarm system (for use on ferries or if pets are left in the vehicle).

My dad has a Mercedes W213, and on that it is possible to deactivate the fob, this is in my mind a feature that should be possible on all cars with keyless entry.

Your correct!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.