Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

Owner of a Boxster 718 S wich i bought used with 3400 miles on the counter.
I also have an 986 S wich i bought new and after 1677000 miles it was time for something new.
The 986 was my Daily drive and have been driven hard on the track, both in Sweden and on Nûrburgring.
It was not easy to take the decision to get an 718 regarding the Engine and at first i had a 991 in mind.
But a Boxster handles so much better Imo and the new Engine goes as a rocket!

Here's som pics.
Agate Gray with Brown top and Espresso interior and alot of extras :)

Inside

:)

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Beautiful car......I know your having a blast......we all are! You couldn't give me a 981....the 718/982 is the car! Enjoy stay safe.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lovely and welcome!

Rippey

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!
I had my eye on a 981 GTS but then i tried a 718 S and there was no going back.
And there are Swedes here to, Trevligt med sällskap :)
Any of you gonna drive this Winter?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where all vikings of sorts ;)

In the 986 it could be a little Cold below freezing and i must say that the 718 aint gonna be any problem driving top down :)

·
892 Posts
Where all vikings of sorts ;)

In the 986 it could be a little Cold below freezing and i must say that the 718 aint gonna be any problem driving top down :)
Although we don't get temperatures in the U.K as low as you do, if it's not raining my 718 Boxster S pretty much always has the roof down. Even around freezing temperatures & slightly below it's not a problem, even on very long journeys. The only bits that get a little chilly are the top of my head (very short crewcut & I'm also quite tall) & tops of my ears & even then never enough that I've felt the need to resort to wearing a hat. Contrast that to my wife's old Audi TT soft top where anything below 10 degrees Celsius & you'd be absolutely freezing.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although we don't get temperatures in the U.K as low as you do, if it's not raining my 718 Boxster S pretty much always has the roof down. Even around freezing temperatures & slightly below it's not a problem, even on very long journeys. The only bits that get a little chilly are the top of my head (very short crewcut & I'm also quite tall) & tops of my ears & even then never enough that I've felt the need to resort to wearing a hat. Contrast that to my wife's old Audi TT soft top where anything below 10 degrees Celsius & you'd be absolutely freezing.

Many of my friends think i am crasy driving with the top down all year and it is as you say :)
I guess its a comfort thing and that they dont se the Beauty in driving.

·
892 Posts
Many of my friends think i am crasy driving with the top down all year and it is as you say :)
I guess its a comfort thing and that they dont se the Beauty in driving.
No I totally get it & between my wife & I we've gone for very little time without at least one soft top vehicle for quite some years. Whichever rag top we've had, we take every opportunity to lower the roof. At one time I had a Porsche Cayman (987) & my wife an Audi TT convertible. The thing is, even though I really enjoyed the way the Cayman drove & didn't much like the TT, we still always used the TT if the weather allowed for getting the roof down. I eventually realised that I'd made a bit of a mistake in ever buying a Cayman, it just wasn't the correct car for me. I want to be in the fresh air at every opportunity & therefore I chopped it in for a Boxster 981, before eventually moving to a 982 (718).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I totally get it & between my wife & I we've gone for very little time without at least one soft top vehicle for quite some years. Whichever rag top we've had, we take every opportunity to lower the roof. At one time I had a Porsche Cayman (987) & my wife an Audi TT convertible. The thing is, even though I really enjoyed the way the Cayman drove & didn't much like the TT, we still always used the TT if the weather allowed for getting the roof down. I eventually realised that I'd made a bit of a mistake in ever buying a Cayman, it just wasn't the correct car for me. I want to be in the fresh air at every opportunity & therefore I chopped it in for a Boxster 981, before eventually moving to a 982 (718).

How was the transition from 981 to 982?
I have only done some testdriving in 981 GTS.

·
892 Posts
I've always loved the sound of flat sixes & admit I had some time adjusting. However, unless you were at high revs then you'd never really experience the mellifluous symphony of which a flat six is capable. The big problem is the fact that to really appreciate it you'll also most likely be going way too fast & it really depends on how you view excessive speed. It is however a potentially licence losing addiction in most countries. If sound is your one & only priority then an old 981 is still possibly the best bet. I've adjusted to the sound of the flat 4 turbo engine in my own car (Boxster S with sports exhaust) & I rather like it now. I wouldn't say I like it at all revs & not particularly without the sports exhaust engaged, though even without it I certainly don't particularly dislike it (just a bit boring). The funny thing is, that with the roof up I like it far less??? But all people are different & Greg W for instance from my recollection (sorry if I'm wrong) dislikes the sound with a Porsche sports exhaust. No one is right & no one is wrong, it's just differences of opinion that are mainly down to personal taste. I know that's taken a very long time to explain but it's the biggest problem that many have with the 982/718 so I thought it was needed (though many owners of the older cars do rather come across as jealous & clinging to straws). The rest of the answer to your question is far shorter though. In every other aspect it's either on a par or far better, it has more torque, it's faster, easier to drive at speed & easier to access that speed (mainly because of the afore mentioned increase in torque), better equipped, better looking etc etc. Seriously there's no contest in my opinion & it's definitely the 718/982 that wins hands down over the 981 every time.

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Correct Chilli.

What I especially like is the subtle throbbing of the uneven ignition. Sort of like a mini V8 or a maxi V-Twin motorcycle. (I ride a Moto Guzzi 1100.)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My only concern at the start was the vibrations from the Engine since the flat six are super smooth.
Pn high gear around 2000 rpm and a bit above it was a Little to much för me, now i dont even notice it.
If i take the 986 for a drive it feels like a Bentley so the 718 are much more raw and sporty :)

·
892 Posts
My only concern at the start was the vibrations from the Engine since the flat six are super smooth.
Pn high gear around 2000 rpm and a bit above it was a Little to much för me, now i dont even notice it.
If i take the 986 for a drive it feels like a Bentley so the 718 are much more raw and sporty :)
I know what you mean, but for myself the extra vibration of the turbo flat four was never an issue. It's undoubtedly not as smooth as the old units but I don't really have any preference on that aspect either one way or the other. I took a short spin in a friends 981 S a few weeks back & even I was left a little surprised by the experience. Funnily enough I picked up on the smoothness aspect more then than I did when I'd changed over to a 982/718. For me though the standout thing was how unresponsive & rather un-sports car like it felt by comparison with my own car & far worse than I remembered. Still a very nice car but not a particularly raw & sporty one. Having fully adjusted to my 718 Boxster S & that now becoming my new norm then I have to be honest & admit I didn't really get a buzz out of driving a 981 anymore. All a little bit sad really. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts