Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I've been waiting for an allocation for a CGTS 4.0 since Feb 2022. About a month ago my salesman told me I was #4 on the list. A few days ago he calls to say I am now at the top of his list - all those ahead of me having bailed. The next one is mine.

I'm happy of course, but am also scratching my head wondering why. I suppose some folks are concerned about gas prices. Probably a lot more are concerned about interest rates on loans. I'm sure some have decided that they want to go EV and will wait for the next gen. But is there something I might be missing? Any reason for me to be concerned that so many folks are passing up this car after being in line for it?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this - thanks.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,093 Posts
Firstly, welcome. Secondly, you might want to include your country, as the situation and ordering process varies by location.

As far as dropouts from waiting lists are concerned, some people get on multiple lists and obviously drop out if they get an allocation. There are also those that get fed up with waiting a year or more with no car in sight. There are also those whose financial circumstances may have changed since they started looking. Finally, several people have reported hearing from their dealers that there will be no more 718 allocations in the US and Canada until next year. That may induce some to give up.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
843 Posts
Firstly, welcome. Secondly, you might want to include your country, as the situation and ordering process varies by location.

As far as dropouts from waiting lists are concerned, some people get on multiple lists and obviously drop out if they get an allocation. There are also those that get fed up with waiting a year or more with no car in sight. There are also those whose financial circumstances may have changed since they started looking. Finally, several people have reported hearing from their dealers that there will be no more 718 allocations in the US and Canada until next year. That may induce some to give up.
Agree with all of those and would add that concerns about a protracted recession and the stock market declines have probably been a factor. Gas prices are relatively meaningless. Driving 50,000 miles in a $100k+ Cayman GTS 4.0 only costs $2,500 more for each $1 increase in gas prices. But given the statistic I recall seeing that the average new (not pre-owned) Porsche sports car buyer has a net worth of $6+/- million, a 20-25% decline in their investment accounts translates into "losing" the equivalent of $1 million or more. At least on paper. The stock market rise post-Covid fueled a lot of demand for high-end discretionary purchases, so it only goes that a decline in the market and economic uncertainty reduces demand.

·
Registered
530 Posts
New member here. I've been waiting for an allocation for a CGTS 4.0 since Feb 2022. About a month ago my salesman told me I was #4 on the list. A few days ago he calls to say I am now at the top of his list - all those ahead of me having bailed. The next one is mine.

I'm happy of course, but am also scratching my head wondering why. I suppose some folks are concerned about gas prices. Probably a lot more are concerned about interest rates on loans. I'm sure some have decided that they want to go EV and will wait for the next gen. But is there something I might be missing? Any reason for me to be concerned that so many folks are passing up this car after being in line for it?

It's the economy.... This is a total toy purchase, it's not a car that you need and things are getting wonky. Interest rates are going up and that takes some people out when they see what it costs. People on here don't much care for gas prices but if you are buying a toy and the market is down, your home equity is down and interests are high, the first thing you reconsider is cutting the fluff and 400 horsepower, 2 seater sportscar is fluff. You see this in houses and everywhere else. When the economy goes south people cut back on luxuries first before essentials. A Camry or on SUV is essential where I live. So congratulations and maybe you can even get it at MSRP! Smart money is on buying low and selling high. Many bought high expecting this to continue and no, you are not missing anything about the EVs, they are fast and will appeal to some but there will be many EV automatic choices in the future and nothing like a Manual Cayman, these are the last of their kind. Congratulations!

·
Registered
917 Posts
As Steve mentioned above - there are people that stack up with multiple dealers trying to see which one might come through sooner, then drop out the others

Another is the far longer than usual waiting time - just for allocations. If those folks haven't dealt with European brand order - delivery times vs. going to a US brand dealer and buying off the lot.

I've been #2 on a list since the beginning of January '22 and the person before me dated back to Oct '21 - my sales advisor had mentioned in passing they were going to get in touch with that person to see if they're still "staying in" or not.

There's a group of guys I meet up with on Sundays for coffee (all gearhead / enthusiasts) - many haven't owned or ordered a European make, one bought his Mercedes used
- I've ordered several cars over the years and it was a nearly 6 month wait from order to delivery with my Mercedes while my domestic US brands were ~ 3 months

Most of these guys have commented they couldn't stand to wait as long as the P-car experience takes.

I've mentioned that there's very little on a lot sitting around - and with all the colors and options, very unlikely to find what I'd want (CGTS) and for the $$$$ spent, not compromising on colors or equipment.

One of them wants a C8 - and the habit of being able to walk on a lot and buy one isn't presenting itself, nor do dealers have allocations that he could find...so he's getting some of that experience vs. the past when a Chevy dealer would have several 'Vettes on their lot and willing to negotiate if inventory was hanging around.

One guy (already has a 981 Cayman) is ordering a Lotus Emira - and we've been speculating between the two of us - who will get delivery sooner.

He's hedging I will - I hope he's correct!

·
Registered
44 Posts

My guess the recent stock market drop has mentally affected those with the means to buy a CGTS 4.0 causing them to lose interest. On the other hand the smart people of means know one still has the same portfolio ownership, so when the market goes up again, viola mental health restored.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been number one on the list for a four cylinder Cayman since the end of May, no allocations have been given since then. My dealer had been getting allocations towards the end of the odd numbered months, but July got skipped. Hopefully there will be an allocation next week, but I am not getting my hopes up, I've heard that other countries are not expecting any more 718 allocations this year, and I'm wondering if that is true for the US as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been number one on the list for a four cylinder Cayman since the end of May, no allocations have been given since then. My dealer had been getting allocations towards the end of the odd numbered months, but July got skipped. Hopefully there will be an allocation next week, but I am not getting my hopes up, I've heard that other countries are not expecting any more 718 allocations this year, and I'm wondering if that is true for the US as well.
That is interesting. I got on the list in June for a 4 cylinder Cayman. I was moved to #1 because I had a good trade (2021 Macan GTS) and a high spec S. They received an allocation in July. Small dealer as well. My S is due to enter production on 10/14.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That is interesting. I got on the list in June for a 4 cylinder Cayman. I was moved to #1 because I had a good trade (2021 Macan GTS) and a high spec S. They received an allocation in July. Small dealer as well. My S is due to enter production on 10/14.
There’s so much variation in different peoples experience I don’t know what to think anymore. A member here got a May allocation, originally scheduled for a December delivery, which got bumped to a March delivery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts