Porsche 718 Forum banner

New member new project

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  718LV 
#1 ·
Hello everyone nice to connect! Have a 2.0 718 6 speed with a long list of modifications planned. The objective is partial aesthetic but largely going after power and torque without compromising reliability or turning it into an unreliable mess. I'm embracing the 718 platform as I think there is a ton of relatively low hanging fruit to grab.

For anyone interested, here is what is on the list.

HRE FF01 20"
Ohlins MP 80 (i think JRZ is overkill for what I need at this point)
Haven't decided between soul or fab or Kline - any advice greatly appreciated. I'm not focused on sound (gasp!) as much as gaining efficiency/performance. Wrapped pipes?
TTE 465 - i believe this is the best bang for buck on adding another 140+ hp before tune. I found the Kesel post while doing some reading and they are showing some motivating performance #s. Cayman 2.0 - 465HP, 600Nm (TTE465, WMI) by KM
WMI kit - Snow?
Tune - cobb or ?

As a point of reference, Guntherwerks posts 2677 pounds / 312 ft/lb torque / 431 HP / 6.2 lbs per HP. At about $550K + vehicle ($75K?) that comes out to $1450 per HP. I'd be in for about $75K which @ 500hp would be $140 per HP. Of course there is quite a lot of other factors to consider, but my project is basically focused on maximizing the 718 platform for extra spirited street driving largely. I think for the additional $15-20K of parts/labor i've listed the plan would be pushing closer to 500 HP maximizing the 718 2.0.

I am aware that these modifications may impact the resale value for someone seeking a stock vehicle, but I have no need to sell it. I'll put it in the garage when I add another vehicle and most likely push it further into a track toy. What is interesting to me is how carefully Porsche balances their models, performance, pricing. The 718 is such a killer platform in which to build upon which is why rather than going along the path of upgrading models etc just upgrade the components as

Looking forward to any feedback, advice or rants on why i'm doing it all wrong;)

Happy Sunday!

See less See more
#2 ·
You're doing it all wrong! : )

Just kidding, hope I got your attention. Ok the lowest hanging fruit is actually wheels and tires. Lighter wheels make everything better, throttle response, braking, acceleration etc. You should do your research and go with the lightest tire and wheel combination you can. Tire sidewall is the lightest part of the tire and is lighter than extra metal, especially with low profile tires as you have to make them strong to be able to absorb the extra shock loads of thin sidewalls. You should do your homework and go with 18 or 19 inch. You can get tire weights from tire rack for the different size tires, add them to the wheel weights and go with the lightest combination. Your car will have a performance bump.

Secondly, you are talking about a tune and that might give you a couple of good bursts of additional thrust, but that is so much dependent on fuel quality and temperatures. You should consider protecting the power you have first and adding some thermal capacity so that you get your 290 stock, reliable HP all the time. I would add the the third radiator which will add a little bit of extra weight, but unsprung weight form lighter wheels can counteract that. Tunes will give you a temporary boost but will increase intake temperatures and overwhelm the intercooler and once that happens, you will get less power. The 2.0 is already running more boost than the 2.5 turbo motor and that is why you see more tunes for the 2.5 than the 2.0. You should first focus on thermal capacity to keep the power you have. The third radiator can help a little bit and is 100% safe option. A less safe option would be to add methanol injection that will help cool the charge. I am happy with the power of my 2.0, but If I wanted more, I would consider a better intercooler with perhaps a more powerful fan, perhaps water/methanol. If you add a tune then coupled with more thermal capacity, you can get more power and sustain it. You will still stress the wastegates with higher boost, but at least the engine will have some additional cooling.

When you build a highrise, you determine how tall it will be and you pour a foundation of the appropriate depth. It seems like you are focused on just adding 2 additional floors to a a two story building. Yes, it won't collapse right away, but eventually it will be begin to settle, crack walls, glass will crack unexpectdely etc.

Enjoy and happy sunday to you.

#3 ·
Much appreciate your response! Yes the 20" I know is not the right decision its the only aesthetic piece that I am having trouble letting go. I originally priced out 19" and the 18" visually don't do it for me at all. Will continue to research on this thanks for the advice on it! I was thinking about the 3rd radiator but thought that it would really only come into play if I was tracking it, again, I will continue to read up now that you have pushed it forward! I am leaning towards adding water/meth. Can wastegates be upgraded? Again, not trying to build a risky tower so any other thoughts on any of this is greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

#7 · (Edited)
I sold performance wheels and tires for a living for over 20 years. IMO, 19" is the sweet spot for 718 platform. Looks are better than 18" and only a touch less "cool" than the 20", while still noticeably less weight than the 20". The 19" are less prone to pothole damage as well, if your roads are not wonderful.

#8 · (Edited)
@Arne @InigoMontoya I really appreciate your insight and feedback on this! Sorry for the delay in response. I spoke with the BBS rep at Sema he's checking on availability. HRE said about $12k. Litespeed super alloy is 19 pounds for $8500. I'm installing Ohlins in December and am hoping to get the wheels figured out by that time as well. I'm leaning towards 3 piece RS5RR | Litespeed Racing | Forged Lightweight Race Wheels would love to get your feedback and anyone else on this forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.