Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new member ready to tick off the bucket list owning a porsche. I’m looking for a low mileage manual 2.5s 718 in white, red or silver/grey. Trying to avoid paying the dealer premiums and hitting a middle ground price for the right car. Cash is waiting so no finance requirements. Thanks Dave B

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve found a 2016 12500 miles 2 previous owners manual with Chrono, leather, Bose etc... but it’s £39,995

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So had to find the extra cash and have put a deposit down on a 2018 GTS with 6 months warranty left. I was looking for a 1 owner car but settled for 2 owners with the second being short due to moving abroad I understand. I managed to get the option list from Porsche and was surprised to find a few things that I would have hoped were std. I have a few days until I pay and collect the carI know it’s personal choice but do you think I will miss any of the following. The first I used quite a bit on my previous car when reversing into the garage.
No electric mirrors
STD sound system
No multifunction steering wheel.

thanks Dave Bailey

·
Registered
GTS 2.5 Cayman 2018
41 Posts
My GTS is the same (bought second hand as a weekend car) lacking the same options. My thoughts though are:
  • No electric mirrors - I have to pop mine in to get into the garage too, not that big an issue though.
  • STD sound system - while it's not great it's useable and to be honest with the engine noise in the compartment I don't use it that much (in a positive sense); if it was a daily driver then I think it would be more of an issue and I normally upgrade sound systems in my commuting car (BMW) as I always listen to music or commute with the radio on. In contrast, I did a weekend driving trip in the GTS last month and didn't have the stereo on the entire time purely on the basis that I was enjoying the car.
  • No multifunction steering wheel - I actually like this, my leather GT wheel in the GTS feels awesome and this focuses you on driving. I think you can upgrade at a later date on this particular option if it's an issue for you.
Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Huh? Is that how the older cars are configured? It wouldn't even cross my mind that a car such as the Cayman wouldn't have electrically powered mirrors!

I just checked and powered mirrors are definitely part of the standard equipment on the 2021 cars. When I was looking at a pre-owned 2018 Cayman, even though I didn't pay too much attention to this detail, I think the car had powered mirror as well?

I'm also in the camp for a simpler and cleaner steering wheel. Personally, I never see or understand the need for steering wheel multi-function controls myself, since everything I need when I'm driving are already within arms length. But I can also see how other people might prefer them.

I managed to get the option list from Porsche and was surprised to find a few things that I would have hoped were std. I have a few days until I pay and collect the carI know it’s personal choice but do you think I will miss any of the following. The first I used quite a bit on my previous car when reversing into the garage.
No electric mirrors
STD sound system
No multifunction steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Are some definitions of "electric mirrors" getting confused here? For example, my base 2019 Cayman has mirrors that are adjustable electrically however there is an option (part of a package) I don't have where the mirrors fold in for those tight garage and other parking situations.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ahh... I see what you're talking about here. Porsche calls that "power folding exterior mirrors", and I'd simply call that "power folding mirrors", and that is definitely an optional item.

Are some definitions of "electric mirrors" getting confused here? For example, my base 2019 Cayman has mirrors that are adjustable electrically however there is an option (part of a package) I don't have where the mirrors fold in for those tight garage and other parking situations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh well the deal on the GTS went bad. I wasn’t 100% comfortable with the dealer but the car seemed great. I did a bit of digging and it turned out the first service had been done at an independent rather than an OPC and Porsche would not allow me to extend the warranty without paying for the next service to be done which was a major at £1400 plus £1190 for the warranty. The garage selling the car had told me that the independent service would be recognised but this is not the case. I asked them to put it right they refused so I walked away. I have however found another with 12k on the clock but 1 owner not 2 and the same balance of warranty but it comes with way more options including bose and carbon 😬😬. This one however is PDK not manual.. which when I drove it was superb. Can’t wait until the weekend to pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
That sounds like a great result.

Unless you just HAVE to have a manual you'll find the PDK is superb, can be driven on over-ride or straight manual and with either paddles or console stick. It also won't let you over rev on downshifts—the aptly named "money shift". You get to concentrate on the steering, braking, cornering and acceleration rather than the left foot, and of course in traffic it's much more relaxing.

As they say: pictures or it didn't happen!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes very happy. Need to do a few driveway modifications to safely get it on and off the drive. First drive was very sedate and achieved 37 mpg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts