Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new 2018 Cayman GTS to replace my 2017 991.2 C2S (delivered July 2016), with an expected delivery date of 4/2018
I was vacillating between the 718 GTS or another 911 (2018 991.2 GTS) - really love the 991.2 - as my lease is up in 2018.
I track my car regularly and wanted to revisit the Cayman experience, my wife occasionally let me drive her car (not the new 718 Cayman) on the track, and really like the mid-engine handling characteristics.
Rather spoiled in N Cal for tracks (Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Thunderhill - all within 200 miles)
I thought I might try a Forum for 718 owners - so here I am.

Here's my GTS build - maybe a little to excessive in options for some folks - but it's "my" car not yours :D

porsche-code.com/PJ731HN9

I look forward to some insight from other 718 owners

·
Registered
388 Posts
I absolutely love the concept of the new 718 GTS! The builder you've chosen is beautiful! That being said, the 991.2 GTS is one of my favorite Porsche's available at the moment. If price were of no concern, I would personally opt for the 911 GTS. I work for the brand and recently spent some time behind the wheel of a 2015 911 GTS with a manual transmission. The car was sublime!!! I was in love... As much as I know the following statement is controversial, it's my opinion: the new turbocharged engines are better than ever. I really believe that low end torque is exactly what the previous engines were lacking. The remedy is the current Porsche lineup that's almost 100% turbocharged. The 911 GTS is the perfect medium between a base 911 and a GT3. Obviously the choice between the 718 and 911 is a matter of opinion. The 911 feels quite a bit larger and heavier than the 718. I like the lightweight 718, but if the 911 GTS and 718 GTS were the same price, I would definitely opt for the 911. Plus, your wife already has the 718. You already have one in the family. My vote is for the 911 GTS ?*♂

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sorry, I just re-read your original post. If track work is your main focus for your next car, I believe the 718 GTS would be the better choice. If daily driving and tracking once in a while are your priorities, I believe the 911 GTS is the one to have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree - the 991.2 GTS would be a great car, I also agree that the 991.2 turbo motor is excellent, I prefer the 3.0t over my old 3.8NA engine - the low and mid range torque is intoxicating when driving. I went with the 718 GTS as I want to wait for the next generation 911, and can use the 718 GTS as an interim car while I wait. The GTS (I hope, I've only driven at 718 Cayman S on a test drive) will be significantly different from my wife's base 718 (no PASM, PTV, Sports Chrono, 65hp less etc) to be fun and ensure I don't miss the driving experience of my current 991.2 C2S
Appreciate the feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts