Porsche 718 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Added PCCBs.
And subsequently removed them. Went back to standard brakes in black. The standard brakes are more than up to the task, without the downsides that come along with PCCB - initial cost, replacement cost, fragility, noise, and track degradation. In the unlikely event I find the standard brakes lacking, there are aftermarket options, including carbon options that can be refinished (Surface Transforms). I don't suspect that will be the case.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Questions:

(1) Stick with black top or go for Bordeaux top to match interior? Trying to find examples of Bordeaux top on Gentian. Since calipers are black, there wouldn't be any clashing between Guards and Bordeaux.

(2) Stick with silver wheels or go for aurum? I'm back and forth on this, thinking the silver wheels tie into the silver interior trim now that I've nixed CXX carbon.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Questions:

(1) Stick with black top or go for Bordeaux top to match interior? Trying to find examples of Bordeaux top on Gentian. Since calipers are black, there wouldn't be any clashing between Guards and Bordeaux.

(2) Stick with silver wheels or go for aurum? I'm back and forth on this, thinking the silver wheels tie into the silver interior trim now that I've nixed CXX carbon.
It could work since you're going with the Classic interior - it just a personal taste matter if you want the red highlight

Here's a 911 that might be Gentian Blue (looks very similar) with red convertible top

Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car
Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
with th

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
852 Posts
Questions:

Methinks you are asking too many questions that are completely subjective and a matter of personal taste.

@CaymanChris "loves" arum wheels. They remind me too much of a Cadillac pimpmobile. That's not to offend you (or CaymanChris) but just to forewarn you that the only opinion that really matters on wheel color is yours.

Now on the objective question of "Who's the best architect?", even the name tells the answer. If it's not Wright (i.e. Frank Lloyd) it's wrong. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Methinks you are asking too many questions that are completely subjective and a matter of personal taste.

@CaymanChris "loves" arum wheels. They remind me too much of a Cadillac pimpmobile. That's not to offend you (or CaymanChris) but just to forewarn you that the only opinion that really matters on wheel color is yours.

Now on the objective question of "Who's the best architect?", even the name tells the answer. If it's not Wright (i.e. Frank Lloyd) it's wrong. :)
It's more for conversation than anything else. We can only annoy our significant others so much before we need to resort to Internet forums. In other words, we all need an outlet for our car obsessions.

I've been to the Martin House in Buffalo. Really cool experience. We are going to go again next time we are up there visiting family.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
The saga continues... 10 days until lock. I'm getting cold feet on the Gentian over Classic combination. I love Gentian under artificial lighting (e.g., showroom), but in any daylight other than bright sun it loses something. I really can't put my finger on it.

Since this is the last of breed, perhaps a classic color is in order - Guards Red. That's the flavor of the moment.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The saga continues... 10 days until lock. I'm getting cold feet on the Gentian over Classic combination. I love Gentian under artificial lighting (e.g., showroom), but in any daylight other than bright sun it loses something. I really can't put my finger on it.

Since this is the last of breed, perhaps a classic color is in order - Guards Red. That's the flavor of the moment.
I actually think Gentian looks richer in dimmer conditions. In bright sun, it’s a bit overwhelming to my eyes. I’d pick GR between the two, but we all have differing tastes of course. Gentian vs GR vs SB

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
538 Posts

It's always tough as you approach lock and all the possibilities must collapse into only one future. I struggled hard between Racing Yellow and Guards Red. In the end Guards Red won. I actually had a yellow and red watch band that I would flip back and forth to see which I really liked more. My poor wife was sick to death of it and really looked forward to the lock date.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I actually think Gentian looks richer in dimmer conditions. In bright sun, it’s a bit overwhelming to my eyes. I’d pick GR between the two, but we all have differing tastes of course. Gentian vs GR vs SB
That's a great video. Guards Red seems to look good and consistent in all lighting conditions. Gentian does look richer in this video, but this may be the camera playing tricks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
It's always tough as you approach lock and all the possibilities must collapse into only one future. I struggled hard between Racing Yellow and Guards Red. In the end Guards Red won. I actually had a yellow and red watch band that I would flip back and forth to see which I really liked more. My poor wife was sick to death of it and really looked forward to the lock date.
I find myself in a similar situation. My lock date cannot come soon enough.

·
Registered
268 Posts

I previously had Night Blue which looked great in the sun but, like Gentian, was a bit underwhelming otherwise. I want a colour that looks great irrespective of the weather and swayed between Shark and Guards - I’ve opted for Guards, I really don’t think you can go wrong!

PS my lock date isn’t till the 10th of September so everything could change………

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
538 Posts
I can say that Guards is nice in all lighting conditions. Some say it is too close to orange in direct sun but I like it. It is a striking sports car color so I can see why it is an enduring classic. I think it looks really good with the rims on the T.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Guards Red is a great color - it clashes with the Bordeaux Red

here's a Boxter with GR paint and the two tone Black / Bordeaux leather

In bright light (these are indoor photo shoots) GR turns orangey-red and the interior (Bordeaux) is way off between the two reds - if you're thinking of GR - you'd probably want a different interior color scheme
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Steering wheel
Vehicle Window Car Hood Motor vehicle

Here's what Carmine Red against the Black / Bordeaux looks like (Porsche samples) for reference (Carmine is darker red, more ruby overtones) - unfortunately Carmine Red isn't one of the options available for Spyder models...
Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Magenta Gas

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
3 Days Left...

Current Build: Gentian over Classic

View attachment 46045

Runner-Up: Guards Red over Black/Red
View attachment 46046

Honorable Mention: Python over Black/Silver
View attachment 46048
It's your dime, so don't listen to my take. Even though Python is probably the rarest color of the three, I'd order them as follows 1A) Gentian, 1B) Python, and 3) Guards.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts