Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas.
Currently looking at purchasing one of the current iterations of the 718 Cayman from new here on the UK.
I've never before owned Porsche, new or used.
My question in light of a conversation I've had with a Porsche salesman at an OPC, is at what point does the price of my chosen car become fixed and not subject to any future price rises?
I had been lead to believe that once an order is taken by an OPC and a deposit left, the price that you pay for the car is fixed at this point. However, this is contrary to what I have been told by my contact at OPC who is telling me that the price of the vehicle only becomes fixed once it goes beyond the build date.
Is it that dealers will vary in their methods or should they all be the same?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi fellas.
Currently looking at purchasing one of the current iterations of the 718 Cayman from new here on the UK.
I've never before owned Porsche, new or used.
My question in light of a conversation I've had with a Porsche salesman at an OPC, is at what point does the price of my chosen car become fixed and not subject to any future price rises?
I had been lead to believe that once an order is taken by an OPC and a deposit left, the price that you pay for the car is fixed at this point. However, this is contrary to what I have been told by my contact at OPC who is telling me that the price of the vehicle only becomes fixed once it goes beyond the build date.
Is it that dealers will vary in their methods or should they all be the same?
Look at the small print on the OPC’s paperwork
you have entered into a contract at a specified price and left a deposit, unless it categorically states in the T&C’s that there is an understanding that they can pass on any price increases after your order then legally the answer is no and the OPC is trying it on.
The trouble is each individual OPC is only an agent selling the vehicles so the OPC can stipulate there own terms of sale and conditions so not every dealer will have the same contact conditions

Cheers ALB

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
536 Posts
If you have a contract with a fixed price for a specified build, I would think that they are legally obligated to sell it to you at that price. I would be surprised if they have given you that without a definite allocation for your car.

A dealer isn't likely fix a retail price until they get an allocation from Porsche and know the price that they will be paying. For all they know, they may not get a suitable allocation for this model year and there is little doubt that there will be an increase for the next years builds - there always is.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you have a contract with a fixed price for a specified build, I would think that they are legally obligated to sell it to you at that price. I would be surprised if they have given you that without a definite allocation for your car.
Fully agree. You live in the UK, not some third-world country.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must admit i was surprised when I read on various forums that once a deposit is left the price if your car is fixed, especially when i hear that you don't need to finalise your own individual spec until just before it goes to the build stage.
I imagine it's down to the discretion of individual OPC's then and I will need to look at the small print as has been suggested.
One way the OPC might get around this is by taking a deposit for a build slot only and then asking the customer to spec their car nearer to that build date?
I was actually pleasantly surprised with the quoted delivery time for a Cayman GTS (2nd quarter 2023) whilst slightly surprised at the quoted delivery time of an standard or an S model.
I didn't enquire about the GT as I didn't expect to be offered anything being a new to Porsche customer.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,461 Posts
The price that appeared on my "build" sheet (once my SA and I verbally agreed via phone) was the cost of the car less shipping, taxes, and any additional add-ons done by the dealer (window tint (free) and 5 year ceramic coating (2k)). No deposit was required and no documents were every signed. The "contract" (intent to buy and sell) was both verbal and confirmed via our eMail.

Bumblebee arrived at my doorstep. SA had me sign title and sales contract. I gave him a cheque. Done. I had to have proof of insurance. Was billed the following week for the ceramic treatment.

Like @Son of Bare I was both new to the area and not a previous client.

Reactions: Robsx

·
Registered
996 Posts
Your price is fixed once you’ve been allocated a build slot and as long as it’s a build for that year ie, they’ve just done a price increase for this year however as my GTS will be a ‘22 model year, the price increase is not applied. If you placed and order and an allocation was given for ‘23 build then you’d be subject to the recent price increase.
Regarding speccing the car, you can in some respect build your car just before the freeze point however a couple of things to bear in mind:

1.The OPC will need a ‘basic’ spec which will allow them to give you an allocation. Without one the factory cannot give a freeze point or production start/finish date.
2. You can change your spec right up to the freeze point however this may push your build back depending on what you change. Something simple as changing the seatbelt colour could push it back by a week.

I would suggest you spend a while in the configurator and build your base spec car. Then start to add on the options you want/must have. Use the forums for advice on what’s worth it and what’s not but remember Porsche options are expensive and before you know it you’ve added £10k in options for only a few bits.

Which OPC are you using?

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK
21 Posts
I placed a deposit for a Cayman GTS last July at which point I completed a place holder order with the options I wanted. I got an allocation in November for a Feb 22 build at which point I made a few changes before the order locked in mid December. Despite the base price increasing (01/12?) Porsche East London confirmed the price was set at the point of taking the deposit, so no price rise would be passed on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your price is fixed once you’ve been allocated a build slot and as long as it’s a build for that year ie, they’ve just done a price increase for this year however as my GTS will be a ‘22 model year, the price increase is not applied. If you placed and order and an allocation was given for ‘23 build then you’d be subject to the recent price increase.
Regarding speccing the car, you can in some respect build your car just before the freeze point however a couple of things to bear in mind:

1.The OPC will need a ‘basic’ spec which will allow them to give you an allocation. Without one the factory cannot give a freeze point or production start/finish date.
2. You can change your spec right up to the freeze point however this may push your build back depending on what you change. Something simple as changing the seatbelt colour could push it back by a week.

I would suggest you spend a while in the configurator and build your base spec car. Then start to add on the options you want/must have. Use the forums for advice on what’s worth it and what’s not but remember Porsche options are expensive and before you know it you’ve added £10k in options for only a few bits.

Which OPC are you using?
Thanks Scrounger. That all now makes sense to me.... so if I order a 23 build car this month my final price wouldn't be fixed until it's build slot and It would be subject to any price increases between a 22 car and a 23 car, correct?
This is probably what my OPC actually told me but I wasn't fully understanding.

I'd rather not say who I'm using yet as I haven't decided yet, but the information I've received to date has come from my local dealer here in the Midlands and I have been satisfied with what I've been told by him so far. (Any recommendations of OPC would be welcome though).

·
Registered
996 Posts
Correct. You'll pay the new price shown on the configurator as it will be a MY'23 car (about a £1500 uplift).

No problem re your OPC. If you're in the midlands, I can probably guess who you're using. I have 5 OPCs within an hour of where I live but if you want my specific OPC then I can do that through a PM.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I placed a deposit for a Cayman GTS last July at which point I completed a place holder order with the options I wanted. I got an allocation in November for a Feb 22 build at which point I made a few changes before the order locked in mid December. Despite the base price increasing (01/12?) Porsche East London confirmed the price was set at the point of taking the deposit, so no price rise would be passed on.
My brother got his new 981 and then new 718 from Porsche East London and was very pleased with them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
welcome and good luck on the journey - It's long, but worthwhile one.
From experience until you get a build slot, everything is up for change. It took me from early Dec to April to get confirmation, then my build was locked end of June for an October delivery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts