Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, wanted to share my problems, so grab a drink...

I've been on the waitlist(with fully refundable deposit) for a C8 for a couple months. Obsessing over colors, options, and settled on the convertible Very nicely optioned it came in at $78k. By the time I get an allocation it will be December, so well into 2022 with a CERTAIN YET UNKNOWN price increase- so I would expect to be paying ~$81K or so. MSRP only for these still due to long waiting list(I am #668 at my dealer, who get ~100/month).

So due to the long wait, I figured I would get an "interim" car, so grabbed a 6 spd new Miata last week. Frankly, I'd really forgotten how much FUN it was to drive manual shift car. I am really, really enjoying it, to the point of thinking I need a manual instead of the auto-only C8.

So my wish list if the world revolved around me(which it should BTW:))
Miata with much more power- not possible even with some mods.
C8 with manual shift- not possible, period.
Something else.....enter the 718.

On paper, the C8 simply crushes the 718- sorry but it does. Pretty much universal reviews all say the same thing. 495HP convertible for $80K. However no manual. And I am starting to get the feeling that the back roads I drive would be a better fit for a smaller, more nimble car like the 718, whereas the C8 would be awesome for the track or wide open highways.

Anyway, thanks for letting me purge. I spoke to my local dealer yesterday, and he said he "thinks" he has an allocation in July, so a could order one and expect delivery ~end of the year. And he could do "a little better but not much" less than MSRP.

Final thoughts:
  1. anyone have first hand experience driving the two? I can rent a C8 here in North Carolina, but can't find a 718 to try.
  2. Why am I bothering that there is a waitlist of over 750 for the C8 at my dealer, and NONE at the Porsche dealer? Makes me nervous that the obvious choice, given they are priced almost the same, is the C8? I mean, 495hp vs 300hp.

All this being said, I'm probably 70% toward the 718 now, so looking for validation here that I'm not insane...

Thanks very much.

Confused Kevin.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
Hi CK,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure this issue has come up here previously so try the search facility and see what you get.
Just generally though, give some real thought about what you want in a fun car and how you are likely to drive it, and then do get a test drive in each one. There really is no other way to tell and the cars are really very different.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
677 Posts
Dealers are low on inventory, so not sure how much better you would fare vs C8 wait. Ask your local Porsche dealer regarding that.

I got a manual GTS 4.0 – straight line speed will be had easily as we enter the electric car age. I care more about shifting and riding on rails through the twisties with ICE sound behind me. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Porsche has a rental program at some of their dealers so you may be able to get into a 718 that way to do an extensive test drive. Get an S, skip the non-performance related options, put a tune on it and you will be north of 400 hp for similar money. Plenty of horsepower and a chassis that can easily handle it and no Corvette will outrun you in the twisties.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just read an article that GM has suspended production of the corvette until this September due to lack of components. I believe all production starting in September will be model year 2022. I imagine this delay all outstanding orders 😩😩😩😩

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealers are low on inventory, so not sure how much better you would fare vs C8 wait. Ask your local Porsche dealer regarding that.

I got a manual GTS 4.0 – straight line speed will be had easily as we enter the electric car age. I care more about shifting and riding on rails through the twisties with ICE sound behind me. Keep that in mind.
ICE sound?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read an article that GM has suspended production of the corvette until this September due to lack of components. I believe all production starting in September will be model year 2022. I imagine this delay all outstanding orders 😩😩😩😩
Kinds sorta. They stopped taking 2021 orders. Any orders not in the system will be 2022.....of course at the 2022 price, whatever that will be.
So no change in the making of cars, just what year they will be labeling/resultant price. Obvious margin grab.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It just comes down to what you personally want. Of course a C8 is faster both in a straight line and on a track, but so is a Tesla and Lord knows those aren't fun to drive after the first time you stomp on the accelerator pedal. The issue with chasing speed in a road car imo is that there's no logical limit to the argument. No matter what you spend there's simply always going to be someone with a faster car, but the obvious question is whether that makes the car better?

The reason the 718 is intriguing to me is that none of its variations chase pure, outright speed. Like the Miata, it is entirely about the way the car feels and the smiles it gives you, not speed alone. For me that means a manual transmission is an absolute necessity in a sports car even if it's slower - any car that doesn't offer one is immediately cut from my potential shopping list.

And of course I'm biased (most of us here are!) but if I were in your shoes in North Carolina I would totally go with a 718 and not think twice. The roads on the NC/TN border are some of the greatest in the world and perfect for a drive in a Cayman/Boxster. Additionally, if you care about driving a slightly unique car, I can guarantee there aren't 750 people in line for a 718 at your local Porsche dealership!

But remember that in the end it simply depends entirely on your personal preferences, nobody can truly answer the question but you! I hope this has helped at least a little bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so far. I agree with all your comments. Seems like the issue I struggle with is the value(ie getting the most for my money) as on paper the C8 is so much more compelling.
Just got back from Jab #2, and the manual is just.so.much.fun.
I don't think I can give it up.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman T
37 Posts
FWIW,

I have owned two previous Corvettes - C7 Z51 (7 Speed) and a C7 Z06 (7 Speed). My previous car ownership in order:
GTI, GTI, R32, CBR600RR, C300 (A), BRZ, Fiesta ST, C63 AMG (A), Corvette, Corvette, and lastly Cayman T.
Cars with (A) were automatic transmission.

I just took delivery of my 6-speed Cayman T about 3 weeks ago.

Hard to compare, very different machines, very different attention, VERY different brands. For me, the overall package and manual transmission was right for me at my current desires.

Every time I take my Silverado to the Chevy dealer, I am immediately reminded why I would never buy another Corvette.

I'd rather own the "cheapest" Porsche over the most expensive Chevy. My 2C!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've owned a few Corvettes: 1978 (Auto then Manual), 1987 (A), 2002 (M), 2007 Z06 (M), 2009 Z06 (M)
I've also owned a 986 Boxster (M) and a 987 Cayman S (M).
My other fun cars I've owned include: 2017 ATS-V(M), 2016 Camaro SS (M), 2020 Camaro ZL-1(M).

I agree with a few other about "fun-to-drive", what stood out the most to me, is simply how much fun the two Porsche were to just drive around town, onramps, etc. They were not as much fun or as fast on track as the big GMs. But I have two kids now and go on track about once a year.

So, my most recent of the list, the 2020 ZL-1, is gone, and I'm waiting for my 22 Boxster GTS 4.0 with a manual.

I drove a C8, and frankly wasn't that impressed, but I may have turned my blinders on. For some reason, GM thinks Corvette owners are not particularly tall, and none of the C5 or later generation can really accommodate a taller guy with a helmet on. I'm 6'2 and torso-tall. The C5 was OK, C6 a little worse, C7 and C8 were non-starters in the headroom department.

The other thing Porsche has in spades that no other car I've driven can touch is input feel. All of them. Gas, clutch, brake, steering - I don't know any car I've driven that feels as intuitive as the two cars I owned previously felt. GM did a great job with the alpha platform on steering, but the Porsche is still better. GM clutch and gas feel is still awful to this day.

My old Corvette (the 78) is pretty good, but it's a cable-driven throttle. Steering... is old car bad! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
Every time I drive another car and then come back to the Boxster I'm amazed at how easy and intuitive it is to drive. Push the throttle and it accelerates, turn the steering wheel and it corners, step on the brake and it slows and stops; and all better than any other car I've ever driven. Four years on and I still go out just for the pleasure of driving it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Driven many Corvettes, never once had the desire to own one. At 6’ 4” fitting into a C7 and C8 has become a bit of an issue. Depreciation tends to be terrible compared to Porsche sports cars Now add no manual for the C8 and it’s a complete no starter.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
677 Posts
I've never driven a Corvette, or Mercedes, (or BMW to any meaningful degree). Probably hard to distill how the brands are different, but if y'all have immediate thoughts, I'm curious. I had an Audi, but that was decades ago.

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS in GT silver metallic, manual 6speed
18 Posts

I've been on the waitlist(with fully refundable deposit) for a C8 for a couple months. Obsessing over colors, options, and settled on the convertible Very nicely optioned it came in at $78k. By the time I get an allocation it will be December, so well into 2022 with a CERTAIN YET UNKNOWN price increase- so I would expect to be paying ~$81K or so. MSRP only for these still due to long waiting list(I am #668 at my dealer, who get ~100/month).

So due to the long wait, I figured I would get an "interim" car, so grabbed a 6 spd new Miata last week. Frankly, I'd really forgotten how much FUN it was to drive manual shift car. I am really, really enjoying it, to the point of thinking I need a manual instead of the auto-only C8.

On paper, the C8 simply crushes the 718- sorry but it does. Pretty much universal reviews all say the same thing. 495HP convertible for $80K. However no manual. And I am starting to get the feeling that the back roads I drive would be a better fit for a smaller, more nimble car like the 718, whereas the C8 would be awesome for the track or wide open highways.

Anyway, thanks for letting me purge. I spoke to my local dealer yesterday, and he said he "thinks" he has an allocation in July, so a could order one and expect delivery ~end of the year. And he could do "a little better but not much" less than MSRP.

Final thoughts:
  1. anyone have first hand experience driving the two? I can rent a C8 here in North Carolina, but can't find a 718 to try.
  2. Why am I bothering that there is a waitlist of over 750 for the C8 at my dealer, and NONE at the Porsche dealer? Makes me nervous that the obvious choice, given they are priced almost the same, is the C8? I mean, 495hp vs 300hp.

All this being said, I'm probably 70% toward the 718 now, so looking for validation here that I'm not insane...

Thanks very much.

Confused Kevin.
Almost in the exact same boat. Ordered my C8 on Jan 20. Was expecting an 18 month wait at a small Chevy dealer in NE FL. Bought a 718GTS manual Boxster as a gap car to have fun along the wait. Planned to flip it if/when the C8 ever delivered. Not even 3 weeks after closing the deal on the GTS I got the call my C8 order was matched to an allocation. My TPW is 7/12. After having the 718 for a couple of months now - I will be torn on which car to actually keep. I acknowledge the C8 will eat up the GTS in a straight line - but I’m confident the GTS would definitely make it a contest on a road course. LOVE the GTS more than I ever expected. The looks and comments I get on it really surprise me. It stops people in their shoes to comment. As my son says, the satin black 20” Carrara wheels are ‘sick’. Will see how my dilemma plays out in Aug - as long as there are not any more plant closures between now and then.

I like the GTS so much I actually inquired about a 718 Spyder allocation at my local Porsche dealership when I was in for service last week… in case I decide to stay with Porsche. I will say there is no comparison on quality. The Porsche is hands-down crafted with quality. If you read the C8 forum about the C8 problems - there are issues with fit, finish, leaks, broken valve springs… makes me really appreciate the German engineering.

Reactions: yellolab

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ok..maybe I am a snob but here is my take.

The Cayman is a fun, smallish nimble car to drive. If you want a manual..well..the corvette is out.

The Corvette would probably be a great track car. Have to guess that maintenance and parts will be cheaper. DCT, performance options and price make it very attractive.

I have a friend who got one and I think it is very nice looking car and I had no issue with build quality. I only rode in the passenger seat but it does feel pretty big compared to a Cayman.

I was on a C8 waitlist for about 6 months. I picked up an Aston Martin in the interim and drove from NE to Florida. I’ve seen so many C8s on the road in the last few months that it was just too common for me to want to own it as a “special” car. Everybody has one...I’m out...Sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never driven a Corvette, or Mercedes, (or BMW to any meaningful degree). Probably hard to distill how the brands are different, but if y'all have immediate thoughts, I'm curious. I had an Audi, but that was decades ago.
I recently had the chance to drive a number of BMW M cars on track. As far as Benzes go, I have little to no time with their performance stuff, same for Audi. I’ve driven a recent TTRS but that’s about it.

Corvette: Looks like a “nice Chevy interior”. I also have a 2018 Traverse Premier - and it IS a nice interior. Not lux car nice, but decently classy and good accoutrements at touch points. Steering feel was pretty much non-existent. Gas pedal in every GM V8 I’ve driven is lazy off the top, lots of play before it engages which makes it hard to clutch out at a light. The Z06, ZL1 and Camaro SS had reasonably heavy clutches which I prefer for feel. The C5/C6 vettes have a clutch helper spring which make the pedal travel non-linear from the bottom. The spring makes the pedal easy to hold in. Which means near the end of travel it suddenly changes effort. Brakes are progressive, no complaints there. Shifter depends on the car. Z06 had good shifter, 02 Coupe was rubbery. ZL1’s shifter was fine.

The ZL1 has more predictable steering with better feedback, by a lot, than my C5s/6s. I always felt like those cars were driven via the scientific method. Hypothesize the best input into a corner, then test to see if your theory was correct.

BMW: Interior is well put together but I’ve never found them appealing. Purposeful, but no style. I’d give inputs a medium scale when you’re talking about M2/M3. Decent, but not anything I’d marvel about. The M5/M8 have very numb steering that doesn’t feel connected to the car at all. I felt like I was playing a video game and happened to be in the car when I was driving them on track.

As far as P-Cars are concerned, I’ve driven a few 986 Boxsters (regular and S), two 987 Cayman Ss, a 981 Cayman S(PDK), a 718 Boxster S(PDK), 718 GTS (2.5), 718 GT4, 996 GT3, 991 Carrera S X51 (PDK) and a Taycan 4S.

EVERY Porsche I’ve driven has had phenomenal steering feel. The Taycan, I was a little disappointed with the accelerator pedal response, but I knew from the moment I leaned into the wheel a little bit that I was driving a Porsche. For the remainder of the cars, clutch(where applicable), brake and throttle feel were excellent.

Hope that helps. If you do have any pointed questions, I’d be happy to try to answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Final thoughts:

Thanks very much.

Confused Kevin.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts