Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Totally new here, new to Porsche, new to high perf cars...basically uninformed. I‘ve had plans in for the big indulgence car since I was in my 20s (now mid 50s) and I’m finally in a position to pull the trigger. Had my eye on an Aston Martin, Jag, a few others, then the C8 came into the world. I had the opportunity to drive the 340 hp Jag a few weeks ago and boy was I disappointed. It’s nice, but felt like a really expensive indulgence that would turn heads but really wasn’t very inspiring behind the wheel. I’d never considered the Porsche but they were across the street so why not? I stopped in and the dealer had a 718 GTS lease return on the lot. 375 hp manual but with the 4 cyl turbo. However he wouldn’t let me drive it right away because he had a C8 on the lot already. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen to come from an American auto maker. Turned the key and it sounded great, but the wall of enviro switches was a bit odd, then all the tech gizmos didn’t do much for me. The HUD was cool, but unnecessary. Finally out on the road and the ride was ....meh. If you’re into American muscle cars you’ll be very happy with the vette, but that’s exactly what it is, a muscle car in an Italian suit. Turns LOTs of heads, fast, loud, but disconnected from the road.

Then I got into the Porsche. Manual transmission, not as fast, but geez what a fun car! Haven’t driven a stick since my 88 VW Fox and I was hooked. Better ride, no electronic clutter, simple driving fun with no distractions. I put down a deposit on a GTS 4.0 right there and I’m happy to wait until spring of next year for the thing.

It’s all personal taste, but for me, the driving experience was worlds beyond the Vette. One more thing. I opted against the Aston because I want this car to be an every day driver and, 1: I don’t want to save for another 5 years to afford it, and 2: everywhere you take a car like that people are gonna want to get close to it, take pictures of it, touch it with burger grease on their fingers, etc. You’ll get the same reaction with the C8 because it is SEXY! The Porsche is a common enough body style that no one is gonna want to lick the paint when you’re in the store buying groceries.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
672 Posts
... [snip] ...

The Porsche is a common enough body style that no one is gonna want to lick the paint when you’re in the store buying groceries.
Hah, a family member described the "flat white" paint of my GTS 4.0 as looking like "meringue". Maybe people may still want to lick the paint – don't be so sure!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm not into American muscle cars, so I would go the Porsche either way... but I watched a youtube video the other day where a guy did an APR tune to a 718 S. He had a mate with a C8. They did some straight line pulls before the tune, and the C8 was in a another league. He then got the tune and they did some pulls and they were not video'd but the claim was that it was now neck and neck.

I'm not sure what can be done to a C8, but the APR tune is about $1k and can be added in 10-15 minutes. If the acceleration is the main sell point for the C8, perhaps the tune nullifies that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was like you … waiting for the c8, roughly 700 in line in the second largest dealer in the US. While waiting, a good friend (who owns a GT3RS) kept saying “just try a Porsche. Just try”. I never liked the looks of the 911, never felt aggressive enough to me. I went on the Porsche website and suddenly saw the cayman. I thought “wait a minute, that looks sexy. These air intakes. ****. I’ll read about it”. Turns out that the cayman was both cheaper and arguably sportier than the 911. What the ****, I’ll test drive it.

three weeks later I was able to find a place which had a boxter S, and the test drive was very convincing: it was fast enough for my needs, it was small and drove smaller (in a good way), control and steering was a dream, and despite the simple interior - it smelled of quality. Every thing you touched felt right, correct, accounted for. The experience was mostly analog and made me focus on the drive, and it was FUN. Coming from a Tesla 3, I was happy to leave distraction-creating large screens behind. Long story short, decided to go for acayman, and eventually found myself in a racing yellow 2021 Cayman S.

fast forward three months, and a friend of mine who is after a c8 rented one for three hours and we both drove it to get a feel.
it looked great (although almost “too much” in real life. Won’t be taking it to Safeway). It sounded great. Acceleration is great. On the highway it is MUCH more quiet that my cayman, and provides a smoother ride. Interior is good too.
It is big, and drives bigger. The power makes it feel light but you feel the backend. Steering is good but not as good. Transmission is vastly inferior to the PDK - I had to intervene a lot while going fast on twisters and it just wasn’t able to keep up. Visibility to the back/right side is terrible, especially on the convertible - which is much more of an issue that you’d think.

having driven the c8, and taken the cayman to the track as well - I feel great with my decision. The cayman is right for me, for me needs and personality. It’s small, fun, fast, unique. Its good looks will remain classic in years to come. I won’t get the amazing sound of the c8, but one day I could get myself a GTS or GT4.

It’s important to know yourself, what is important for you, and buy what will make you happy. Only you have the right answer.

good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi everyone, wanted to share my problems, so grab a drink...

I've been on the waitlist(with fully refundable deposit) for a C8 for a couple months. Obsessing over colors, options, and settled on the convertible Very nicely optioned it came in at $78k. By the time I get an allocation it will be December, so well into 2022 with a CERTAIN YET UNKNOWN price increase- so I would expect to be paying ~$81K or so. MSRP only for these still due to long waiting list(I am #668 at my dealer, who get ~100/month).

So due to the long wait, I figured I would get an "interim" car, so grabbed a 6 spd new Miata last week. Frankly, I'd really forgotten how much FUN it was to drive manual shift car. I am really, really enjoying it, to the point of thinking I need a manual instead of the auto-only C8.

So my wish list if the world revolved around me(which it should BTW:))
Miata with much more power- not possible even with some mods.
C8 with manual shift- not possible, period.
Something else.....enter the 718.

On paper, the C8 simply crushes the 718- sorry but it does. Pretty much universal reviews all say the same thing. 495HP convertible for $80K. However no manual. And I am starting to get the feeling that the back roads I drive would be a better fit for a smaller, more nimble car like the 718, whereas the C8 would be awesome for the track or wide open highways.

Anyway, thanks for letting me purge. I spoke to my local dealer yesterday, and he said he "thinks" he has an allocation in July, so a could order one and expect delivery ~end of the year. And he could do "a little better but not much" less than MSRP.

Final thoughts:
  1. anyone have first hand experience driving the two? I can rent a C8 here in North Carolina, but can't find a 718 to try.
  2. Why am I bothering that there is a waitlist of over 750 for the C8 at my dealer, and NONE at the Porsche dealer? Makes me nervous that the obvious choice, given they are priced almost the same, is the C8? I mean, 495hp vs 300hp.

All this being said, I'm probably 70% toward the 718 now, so looking for validation here that I'm not insane...

Thanks very much.

Confused Kevin.
I don't know if you've had a chance to read this comparison but it does a pretty good job of comparing the two cars. Although it does 'pick' the Porsche, it does highlight the advantages and qualities of the Vette. I considered the Vette also but went for the 718 for many of the reasons stated in the article as well as this string ... and I wasn't going to pay an absurd premium to be 'one of the first' C8 owners (one JUST sold at my local dealer for $31K OVER MSRP).
2021 Chevrolet Corvette vs. Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0: Mid-Engine Showdown (motortrend.com)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Almost in the exact same boat. Ordered my C8 on Jan 20. Was expecting an 18 month wait at a small Chevy dealer in NE FL. Bought a 718GTS manual Boxster as a gap car to have fun along the wait. Planned to flip it if/when the C8 ever delivered. Not even 3 weeks after closing the deal on the GTS I got the call my C8 order was matched to an allocation. My TPW is 7/12. After having the 718 for a couple of months now - I will be torn on which car to actually keep. I acknowledge the C8 will eat up the GTS in a straight line - but I’m confident the GTS would definitely make it a contest on a road course. LOVE the GTS more than I ever expected. The looks and comments I get on it really surprise me. It stops people in their shoes to comment. As my son says, the satin black 20” Carrara wheels are ‘sick’. Will see how my dilemma plays out in Aug - as long as there are not any more plant closures between now and then.

I like the GTS so much I actually inquired about a 718 Spyder allocation at my local Porsche dealership when I was in for service last week… in case I decide to stay with Porsche. I will say there is no comparison on quality. The Porsche is hands-down crafted with quality. If you read the C8 forum about the C8 problems - there are issues with fit, finish, leaks, broken valve springs… makes me really appreciate the German engineering.
Well, you could take delivery of the C8, drive it for a month, then flip it for an easy $15K. I would love to drive them both back-back. I've found 4 different 918's around with to drive....all are auto's....grrr. Getting a C8 to drive is easy on Toru.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Totally new here, new to Porsche, new to high perf cars...basically uninformed. I‘ve had plans in for the big indulgence car since I was in my 20s (now mid 50s) and I’m finally in a position to pull the trigger. Had my eye on an Aston Martin, Jag, a few others, then the C8 came into the world. I had the opportunity to drive the 340 hp Jag a few weeks ago and boy was I disappointed. It’s nice, but felt like a really expensive indulgence that would turn heads but really wasn’t very inspiring behind the wheel. I’d never considered the Porsche but they were across the street so why not? I stopped in and the dealer had a 718 GTS lease return on the lot. 375 hp manual but with the 4 cyl turbo. However he wouldn’t let me drive it right away because he had a C8 on the lot already. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen to come from an American auto maker. Turned the key and it sounded great, but the wall of enviro switches was a bit odd, then all the tech gizmos didn’t do much for me. The HUD was cool, but unnecessary. Finally out on the road and the ride was ....meh. If you’re into American muscle cars you’ll be very happy with the vette, but that’s exactly what it is, a muscle car in an Italian suit. Turns LOTs of heads, fast, loud, but disconnected from the road.

Then I got into the Porsche. Manual transmission, not as fast, but geez what a fun car! Haven’t driven a stick since my 88 VW Fox and I was hooked. Better ride, no electronic clutter, simple driving fun with no distractions. I put down a deposit on a GTS 4.0 right there and I’m happy to wait until spring of next year for the thing.

It’s all personal taste, but for me, the driving experience was worlds beyond the Vette. One more thing. I opted against the Aston because I want this car to be an every day driver and, 1: I don’t want to save for another 5 years to afford it, and 2: everywhere you take a car like that people are gonna want to get close to it, take pictures of it, touch it with burger grease on their fingers, etc. You’ll get the same reaction with the C8 because it is SEXY! The Porsche is a common enough body style that no one is gonna want to lick the paint when you’re in the store buying groceries.
Great comment, thanks a valid concern. I'm definitely an "under the radar" guy. People suck, dogs are great:) And this is coming from someone who is in sales......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm not into American muscle cars, so I would go the Porsche either way... but I watched a youtube video the other day where a guy did an APR tune to a 718 S. He had a mate with a C8. They did some straight line pulls before the tune, and the C8 was in a another league. He then got the tune and they did some pulls and they were not video'd but the claim was that it was now neck and neck.

I'm not sure what can be done to a C8, but the APR tune is about $1k and can be added in 10-15 minutes. If the acceleration is the main sell point for the C8, perhaps the tune nullifies that?
thx for this. Googling APR tune....although honestly it's really not straight line acceleration, but....who doesnt want more power given an option right? My quandry is more..... visceral. See pic....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I was like you … waiting for the c8, roughly 700 in line in the second largest dealer in the US. While waiting, a good friend (who owns a GT3RS) kept saying “just try a Porsche. Just try”. I never liked the looks of the 911, never felt aggressive enough to me. I went on the Porsche website and suddenly saw the cayman. I thought “wait a minute, that looks sexy. These air intakes. *. I’ll read about it”. Turns out that the cayman was both cheaper and arguably sportier than the 911. What the *, I’ll test drive it.

three weeks later I was able to find a place which had a boxter S, and the test drive was very convincing: it was fast enough for my needs, it was small and drove smaller (in a good way), control and steering was a dream, and despite the simple interior - it smelled of quality. Every thing you touched felt right, correct, accounted for. The experience was mostly analog and made me focus on the drive, and it was FUN. Coming from a Tesla 3, I was happy to leave distraction-creating large screens behind. Long story short, decided to go for acayman, and eventually found myself in a racing yellow 2021 Cayman S.

fast forward three months, and a friend of mine who is after a c8 rented one for three hours and we both drove it to get a feel.
it looked great (although almost “too much” in real life. Won’t be taking it to Safeway). It sounded great. Acceleration is great. On the highway it is MUCH more quiet that my cayman, and provides a smoother ride. Interior is good too.
It is big, and drives bigger. The power makes it feel light but you feel the backend. Steering is good but not as good. Transmission is vastly inferior to the PDK - I had to intervene a lot while going fast on twisters and it just wasn’t able to keep up. Visibility to the back/right side is terrible, especially on the convertible - which is much more of an issue that you’d think.

having driven the c8, and taken the cayman to the track as well - I feel great with my decision. The cayman is right for me, for me needs and personality. It’s small, fun, fast, unique. Its good looks will remain classic in years to come. I won’t get the amazing sound of the c8, but one day I could get myself a GTS or GT4.

It’s important to know yourself, what is important for you, and buy what will make you happy. Only you have the right answer.

good luck
Thanks for the insightful response, I appreciate it. And yes, I'm currently #668 with MacM. Also some other dealers as well.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you thought about an engine swap for your Miata? More power with mods is definitely an option. Kits are available to swap a Honda 3.5 V6 or an LS V8.
I considered going with a C7 when my 981 CPO was running out. The test drive was probably 90% of my 981 experience. Great sound and tons power. I just wanted the whole 100% of the experience. Now I’m waiting for my 2021 Boxster to board a ship to the U.S. and I’m beyond excited.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It truly is: do I want the smoking hot chick with all the baggage she comes with, or the attractive woman, with smarts, whose baggage is very well packed?

Seems like I need to start going thru the 718 options list....

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can probably add 10-25 HP with a tune, and for a little less than that. The reality is that turbocharged vehicles just have a lot more potential to unlock with a tune. Up the boost limit, play with timing, etc.

Most of the gains from ECM tuning with a naturally aspirated vehicle are from slight tweaks to timing and fuel corrections. GM tends to run their cars very rich from the factory, and some power can be found from leaning out WOT fueling. But if out and out horsepower was someone's goal, the 'vette will have a much better dollar/HP ratio - the aftermarket for these motors is always plentiful (engine internals, superchargers, turbochargers, high performance exhaust systems including long-tube headers, etc...).

·
Registered
2021 CT 6MT
25 Posts
If you haven't owned a C7+ vette, you really should spend some time in one to see how the interior is wearing after several thousand miles ... you might find it disappointing. On top of that, unless one is on the lot that you can scrutinize, you have no guarantee that an ordered car won't show up with "wavy" composite panels that are not at all smooth.

My last six cars from 2014 forward were: 2014 C7 Z51 Vette (7MT), 2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (Auto), 2016 SRT 392 Challenger (6MT), 2018 Audi RS3 (DSG), 2018 Ford Focus ST ST3 (6MT), 2019 Series.Grey STI (6MT)

All of those (save for the Focus ST) were as fast, if not significantly faster than my incoming Cayman T. Additionally, I've owned three other STIs in the past that would stomp the Cayman T in straight-line speed. That being said, the Focus ST with its Recaro buckets, a Stg 1 tune and Borla cat back has been one of the most enjoyable of the entire lot. I still own it and will be trading it in. The RS3 and C7 were BRUTALLY fast, but I don't miss that as much as I thought I would.

My T is supposed to arrive this weekend and I should be collecting next week. Needless to say, I am super-stoked to pick it up and continue to enjoy manual snobbery.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't like the C8. It's trying too hard to be cool.
All those angles and details. It's like it was designed by an 8 year old who tried to draw a Ferrari but failed ;)

For straight line acceleration, get a Model 3 performance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I don't like the C8. It's trying too hard to be cool.
All those angles and details. It's like it was designed by an 8 year old who tried to draw a Ferrari but failed ;)

For straight line acceleration, get a Model 3 performance.
Kinda agree, it is like a full size Hot Wheels car.

·
Registered
420 Posts
To me the proportions are wrong... probably a necessity of the large rear engine. But the rear looks big/long, and the front short/small. I agree that it tried to look like a ferrari, but fell short. And there is a lot of unnecessary detail that is trying too hard to be noticed. I'm also not into pushrod V8s myself even if they are the epitomy of that engine style.

But it looks like it goes and handles well!! And if being noticed is what you like, it would be a good choice if you don't have Euro supercar money to spend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try one in Miami Blue. Everyone wants to lick the paint. I can’t get gas without being approached and being told how mich they love the car.
Man, I am really gonna have to think hard about my color if I ever get an allocation. Right now I’m leaning towards the adventurine green. Will the green apple quickstep scare the looky loos away?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
OP here. I drove a dealers 2015 Cayman PDK yesterday. While I'd driven a 911SC previously before, I actually never driven mid-engine P.
So while it's not exactly close to what I would want(Boxster, 4 cyl, manual shift), and least I got some seat time and got a feel for the car. Have to say, I was more than impressed. The feeling of being....planted...is very difficult to put in words/read about online. I'm all in.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts