Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a bone stock manual base 718 Cayman last month, should be here in February.

I've owned a 1970 1.7 914 for many years, a joy to drive, but it is 46 year old technology. It is a also FI mid engine flat four generating a ferocious 85 hp. Engine, stick shift, disc brakes, McPhersons on all four corners, and only 1900 lbs. Does have a good heater, but no AC, no power anything, no cruise, AM/FM mono radio. Window cranks. It is a targa.

Looking forward to driving a modern flat four with a stick.

FWIW, I did my homework, went to the Porsche site, and spec'd the options I wanted. I also paid cash. The sales manager without argument offered 4% off MSRP, and threw in heated seats. And I said yes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Didn't think you'd be able to get 4% off MSRP and heated seats. Most dealerships wouldn't budge on the price and give you no extras. Congrats on putting an order! What color did you get?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments.

Winston, from all I've read, it will be fun. That's why I bought it, it's going to be my toy. (My wife said, "You don't need two Porsches", and I said, " Well, I don't need even one".) It is a modern mid engine with a stick, 300 hp, I'm looking forward to it. Last really high hp vehicle I've driven was an M48A3 tank - 850 hp air-cooled.

Charlotte, I did my homework, lot of reading. Reenlist has some good threads. Reenlist says 3 to 5% is possible. I went to the Build your Porsche site and wrote down exactly what I wanted. I also had my money ready.

At the dealer, the young salesman said "this is the MSRP" and I said "I know that, what will you sell it for?" He went and got the sales manager, and I suspect they might have googled my name to see if I was full of it. Sales manager came back and said 4% plus heated seats, I said OK.

I had some leverage. There are several dealers within driving distance, I was ready to go to one of them if the local guys balked. I also let them know up front that I was both a lawyer and a mechanic, and specifically that I knew a little bit about Porsches. And my daughter and SiL live in St. Pete, Fl. I could have easily factory ordered down there.

Dealer here in Louisville, Ky is Blue Grass Porsche. Sales mgr is Randy Biery if you want to call.

Color is Graphite Blue Metallic, only real option I picked. My SiL and son and I walked around and debated colors and we settled on this one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You really went in prepared and did a bang up job my friend. Couple months away and you'll be loving it. Any reason for the lack of options and what not ?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm glad you guys finalized colors in person since a lot of people become too confident in what they see online only to be disappointed once they finally see it in person, for some too late as its the very same vehicle they ordered.

Did you start looking into finding a detailer to go through the process of applying paint protection?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts