Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another great YouTube video from Nick Murray, this time on his 718 base Boxster loaner and 718 sales.

·
Registered
360 Posts
yes he was very positive again about the 718 range but not sure he is right about poor sales - 20,000 pa combined sales has always been about the level whatever generation of cars we are talking about hasn't it?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not even going to waste my time watching another Nick Murray Video.

It's clear that Nick is the archetype of a person who buys a sports car for the brand/image. He is not what i would call either an enthusiast or a purist but more seeker of a fashion accessory. He also is not very concerned with technical or engineering details but more into color coordination or obsessing over what wheels best match his eyeglasses. In summary, probably the opposite of my perspective.

By the way, I frequent the same dealer he goes to. The first thing they will tell you is that the Boxster/Cayman have never been particularly good sellers around here. 911's move easily and it's harder to move the 718. But this has been the case around here even with the 981 and 987. Most people around here want a 911 not just a Porsche sports car. I am an outlier in that I own both a 718 and 987.

I was out on Sunday and passed two GT3s and a GT3 RS. GT3's are a dime a dozen around here. Seems like it is the variant I see most often. I can say with some certainty, I was having just as much fun as they were. At the track, I see more base and S variants than GT3s. I don't hear anybody getting bent out of shape or whining about what the "other guy" is driving.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is not what i would call either an enthusiast or a purist but more seeker of a fashion accessory. He also is not very concerned with technical or engineering details but more into color coordination or obsessing over what wheels best match his eyeglasses.

I will agree with you on those points, but in my eyes he does make very entertaining content, and normally gives a different perspective than a lot of the other on YouTube who creates content regarding Porsche.
He is also more focused on everyday use of the cars rather than track use, which for my case is much more relevant.

·
Registered
716 Posts
yes he was very positive again about the 718 range but not sure he is right about poor sales - 20,000 pa combined sales has always been about the level whatever generation of cars we are talking about hasn't it?

The 718s sell around 25,000 world wide. Not bad for a small two-seater in that price range.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I was out on Sunday and passed two GT3s and a GT3 RS. GT3's are a dime a dozen around here. Seems like it is the variant I see most often. I can say with some certainty, I was having just as much fun as they were. At the track, I see more base and S variants than GT3s. I don't hear anybody getting bent out of shape or whining about what the "other guy" is driving.

At track days the most common car I see now is the Cayman/Boxster. It used ot be the 944, but the Caymans/Boxsters are starting to pull ahead.

There are a few GT3 and a group of 911s, but not as many as the 718/981/987 range.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I like his videos. I find him very entertaining. He's also more likeable than Shmee and Vehicle Virgins. Both of which I stopped watching a long time ago. Plus I also like Nick's aviation videos. Also, who doesn't like his pooches?

Who here thinks Doug DeMuro is the most knowledgeable on YouTube? He's not. He's very formulaic. Not very spontaneous. He's not as quirky as he used to be. Yet I still watch his content.

I find Nick Murray's stuff fun and light-hearted. That's why I watch.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I enjoy Nick Murray's videos precisely because he doesn't pretend to be something he's not and isn't constantly swapping cars for the next big thing (the way Shmee offloaded his dream 'GT3' after putting so much time int specc'ing it etc. really got to me). I think more than any other youtuber, his content reflects the average Porsche owner and what it is actually like to live with these cars.

I hardly every watch videos by Shmee, Seb Delanney, Supercars of London, Salomondrin etc. anymore, not to mention the countless other 'look how great I am' attention seekers out there.
Seen Through Glass is probably the only other vlogger I can be bothered clicking on anymore. Please note i'm talking vloggers here, not reviewers (which is where I tend to go to for the technical side of things).

I've also become strangely obsessed with Porsche Centre Calgary's videos.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I haven't watched the video yet but as I've mentioned elsewhere worldwide 718 deliveries/production are up 10% compared with 981 sales for similar years.

718 sales have been down in the US but so were 911 sales so it doesn't seem specific to the 718.

According to the graph Cayman sales have actually been quite good and peaked in 2016, unlike 911s. Though Boxter sales look to have really suffered.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I cannot watch any of the tools who finance the payments on a car based on you tube views alone - pointless nonsense

I do like Doug Demuro though - his latest on the McLaren F1 with Jay Leno is an excellent watch

I don't get comments like sales woes sorry - just the volume these cars have always sold at

more fool the world's car buyers at large as for the vast majority of them they would have a lot more fun in a cayman than a 911 and save themselves a fortune

·
Registered
539 Posts
Considering the 911 sold about 1000 GT3s( 2018?), I’m surprised the 911 hasn’t done better with sales. Looks like a lot of the uptick was the GT3s and we know where many of those are sitting right now.

Maybe it happens again with the GT4 and Spyder but I’m guessing a lot of people will be less inclined to speculate/flip. It’ll be nice not to have to dicker over an ADM if I go that route. ( My SA already told me he guesses I can get one without a markup if I don’t need to be first in line. That’s my guess too.)

Once again, I think a lot of the 718 chatter is a noisy small minority. I’m not convinced it is hurting sales. There are many other factors at work. So a few buy 911Ts instead. Many people wouldn’t spend for a new sports car anyway, they just like to dream and hear themselves talk. I know I keep reading about how great the 981 is holding it’s value but I don’t see any material abnormality because of the 718.

Then again, there are many cars that drop like a rock that I would be thrilled to have in my garage, F type Jag and McLaren 570s to name a couple.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I cannot watch any of the tools who finance the payments on a car based on you tube views alone - pointless nonsense

I do like Doug Demuro though - his latest on the McLaren F1 with Jay Leno is an excellent watch

I don't get comments like sales woes sorry - just the volume these cars have always sold at

more fool the world's car buyers at large as for the vast majority of them they would have a lot more fun in a cayman than a 911 and save themselves a fortune
You like Doug, but don't like Nick? Doug is extremely boring to watch, but informative. The only time I catch a Doug video now is when I'm narrowing down to a couple of cars when switching out something in my garage. Other than that, I would "almost" rather watch one of my 2 year old daughters learning videos. Let me just say, sharing a television with a 2 year old (especially when you want her watching programs to help her learn something new as opposed to strict entertainment) can be excruciatingly boring! But if I can get her glued to my side while watching, it's worth it :nerd:
As far as Nick Murray, he's fun to watch! I don't personally agree with several things he particularly likes or dislikes, but it's entertaining, lighthearted, and he makes fun of himself. He doesn't take himself seriously, which is one of his greatest attributes.
As far as Porsche 2018's comment, I thought of this thread while watching that videos earlier tonight. Before coming home and reading this thread.
When I leave work, I have a long drive home. I usually change into my workout clothes at work, drive straight to the gym, have an hour of alone time in my car (I have a wife, a 2 year old daughter, and a 10 year old step-son. This is unfortunately how I get my alone time these days), I'll watch a few videos on YouTube, maybe even take a 10 minute nap (which is a difficult task in a Cayman, especially when you're 6'4. Hence why I like taking my wife's car to work, every chance I get), then go into the gym for a workout. Sad part is, I re-enact this scenario 5-6 times a week :|

·
Registered
813 Posts
Of particular interest in this video was his comment that Porsche have recently said that they have no plans to update the car at all.

If you consider the 982 just a refresh of the 981 then the next generation model should be due this year (unlikely). However if you consider it a complete next generation model over the 981, then we can expect an update in 2020. However the news that Porsche have no plans to update the car at all in the next three to four years brings up a lot of questions and will lead to a lot of speculation.

Can anyone verify his statement that Porsche say they have no plans to update the car in the next three to four years?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Of particular interest in this video was his comment that Porsche have recently said that they have no plans to update the car at all.

If you consider the 982 just a refresh of the 981 then the next generation model should be due this year (unlikely). However if you consider it a complete next generation model over the 981, then we can expect an update in 2020. However the news that Porsche have no plans to update the car at all in the next three to four years brings up a lot of questions and will lead to a lot of speculation.

Can anyone verify his statement that Porsche say they have no plans to update the car in the next three to four years?
Nothing is normal with Porsche currently. Macan will come fully electric 2022 and will be manufactured side by side with the gasoline Macan until 2025. Then most likely no more gas Macan - if the EV sells. 718 Cayman/Boxster sales are not enough to justify EV and combustion engine versions manufactured simultaneously. Porsche will decide by the end of this year if the next gen 718 will be fully electric only. It all depends on the success of the Taycan.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
All I have to say on the matter is a point I've made time after time after time after time after time on Bimmerpost:

Do not contextualize the sales figures for a car that is sold worldwide -- and, thus, designed for worldwide sales -- by the sales figures for one frakking country.

Focusing solely on the U.S. market is not only a sign of ignorance (purposeful or not), it's a flat-out incorrect contextualization.

I stop reading/watching people and pieces that do the above because it's worthless and demonstrates selective, subjective interpretation. There is no room for opinion regarding sales; only contextualization.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
+1
Οn top of everything else, you have to take the condition of the economy into account. The Chinese economy (China is a major, possibly the biggest customer) last year was meh, not going like gangbusters as in prior years. Coming to think about it, the US economy (stock market) was pretty volatile in 2018... Possibly not the right time to blow 100 grand...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't always agree with Nick Murray, but I do like his videos. He always comes across as genuine and doesn't take himself too serious, but not in a way he makes a fool of himself.

The spec on the loaner 718 is gorgeous, the duo-tone leather, basic wheels, dark blue, white dials... wonderfull combination.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
As far as Porsche 2018's comment, I thought of this thread while watching that videos earlier tonight. Before coming home and reading this thread. When I leave work, I have a long drive home. I usually change into my workout clothes at work, drive straight to the gym, have an hour of alone time in my car (I have a wife, a 2 year old daughter, and a 10 year old step-son. This is unfortunately how I get my alone time these days), I'll watch a few videos on YouTube, maybe even take a 10 minute nap (which is a difficult task in a Cayman, especially when you're 6'4. Hence why I like taking my wife's car to work, every chance I get), then go into the gym for a workout. Sad part is, I re-enact this scenario 5-6 times a week :|
My friend, now I'm confused. Are the 718 sales in the US doing well based upon the numbers your privy to? Although, I am currently living in Texas I was born and raised in NY so as a New Yorker I have no problem dispensing with diplomacy if clarity is served.;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts