Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
My friend, now I'm confused. Are the 718 sales in the US doing well based upon the numbers your privy to? Although, I am currently living in Texas I was born and raised in NY so as a New Yorker I have no problem dispensing with diplomacy if clarity is served.;)
This is where my lack of a proper school education comes into play (I was raised in Southern California, which placed me in the Los Angeles Unified school district at the time). Hence my lack of understanding to your comment or question :nerd:
718 sales have been much lower than anticipated since it's initial launch. My comment is highly based on US sales, as 718's sit on the lot longer than previous generations. Globally, 718 sales are also lower than Porsche anticipated, but it's not as significant as they are in the US.
Porsche has recently decided to take the manufacturing of the 718 to a different plant than the current plant that also produces the 911 range. The reason they're providing for this major shift is the anticipation for the increased demand for the upcoming 992 platform.
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I figured I'd take a stab at it, best as I can ;)

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
This is where my lack of a proper school education comes into play (I was raised in Southern California, which placed me in the Los Angeles Unified school district at the time). Hence my lack of understanding to your comment or question :nerd:
718 sales have been much lower than anticipated since it's initial launch. My comment is highly based on US sales, as 718's sit on the lot longer than previous generations. Globally, 718 sales are also lower than Porsche anticipated, but it's not as significant as they are in the US.
Porsche has recently decided to take the manufacturing of the 718 to a different plant than the current plant that also produces the 911 range. The reason they're providing for this major shift is the anticipation for the increased demand for the upcoming 992 platform.
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I figured I'd take a stab at it, best as I can ;)
Thanks, crystal clear. Though, notwithstanding the sales figures many of us purchased the 718 because of the low end torque, power, and beauty.

·
Registered
539 Posts
All this talk of lagging sales is depressing me. My car is sooo hated. I was such a fool...what was I thinking!!

I think I am going to sell my car and go buy something that is popular and in demand, then I will feel better about myself. Something everybody wants and will show my great sense of style and taste...something like... a Pet Rock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like Nick's videos because his opinion is seemingly unvarnished. He recognizes that the 718 total market is different than that for the 911. Both cars appeal to the non-performance oriented because they fun to drive, beautiful to behold, and, yes, are proxies for wealth, position, and perceived social class.

I don't agree that the 718 is primarily for younger buyers to be hooked so they will eventually "step up" to a 911. That might happen, of course, but IMHO the 718 offers a consumer the opportunity to buy a Porsche (and everything the brand entails as far as the general - not necessarily enthusiast - population) is concerned.

For example, I have two concepts for my next Porsche (I own a 2015 Macan Turbo). The first is for a zippy little lightly optioned base two seater, with a manual transmission. Based on my experience of my actual use of Porsche options from driving my Macan, I would forgo all options other than 18 ways, the minimal premium package, and LCA. I would try to resist everything else.

The second concept is to step up to a base 911 and indulge in a PDK, leather seats, 20" wheels, and a Bose. This would be to satisfy my long time lust for a 911 and frankly also more strongly signal success than if I had bought a 718.

Neither vehicle would ever come close to a track.

·
Registered
431 Posts
All this talk of lagging sales is depressing me. My car is sooo hated. I was such a fool...what was I thinking!!

I think I am going to sell my car and go buy something that is popular and in demand, then I will feel better about myself. Something everybody wants and will show my great sense of style and taste...something like... a Pet Rock.
I have $10 burning a hole in my pocket. Just let me know. :nerd:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I watch all the videos I can to get a well rounded view of the cars. If only one person brings up a problem , it may be his personal issue with it. If 7 people complain about the same thing , it carries a little more weight. I think the going trend is just the cost of Porsches . As well as some of the other 100k sports cars . SUV's are doing great. They sell more 911's than 718 in the US every year. So we have a lower volume car in reality . Good for us . Now smile!!!! We all havwe something special

·
Registered
10 Posts
The spec on the loaner 718 is gorgeous, the duo-tone leather, basic wheels, dark blue, white dials... wonderfull combination.

I thought so too. I loved the way that Boxster looked. Really starting to like those white and black interiors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
892 Posts
My selection process was easy.

I wanted another soft top Porsche.

Looked at 911 and 718.

911 looks odd as softtop, 718 absolutely stunning
Despite the handling compromise, a roof off 911 for me would have to be the Targa. I know not everyone agrees but I've always thought it to be a beautiful car. However would anyone have an interest in something along these lines if Porsche ever decided to make one?

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
As I review my Youtube viewing history, I don't see myself looking at much car-related stuff. When I first noticed car-related videos on the internet, most seemed un-watchable. And these days, they seem to have gotten even worse.
I like to read about cars and/or experience them "in the flesh".

Youtube serves a different function for me.

Recently, I looked at a Youtube video for.....

- Making pancakes
- How to tie a karate belt (7 year-old grandson....10 minutes before I was bringing him to karate)
-How to play "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (guitar)
-Changing a Seiko watch battery

I'll give the Nick-what's-his-name video a shot, but I'm not optimistic.

Reactions: Curvenator and JoTR

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I don't agree that the 718 is primarily for younger buyers to be hooked so they will eventually "step up" to a 911. That might happen, of course, but IMHO the 718 offers a consumer the opportunity to buy a Porsche...
I would agree with that disagreement. The 718 is not a way to step up to something better in the future. It's a way to step sideways into something different now. Nor is it meant to be a cheaper alternative. I could have bought three 911's instead of the Cayman. (I've almost perfected the technique to drive more than one at a time, but I'm not sure where I'd store them all.:laugh:) But I prefer the 718, have never considered owning a 911.

I don't agree that the 718 is primarily for younger buyers to be hooked so they will eventually "step up" to a 911. That might happen, of course, but IMHO the 718 offers a consumer the opportunity to buy a Porsche (and everything the brand entails as far as the general - not necessarily enthusiast - population) is concerned.
The second concept is to step up to a base 911 and indulge in a PDK, leather seats, 20" wheels, and a Bose. This would be to satisfy my long time lust for a 911 and frankly also more strongly signal success than if I had bought a 718.
Ah, "signaling success" has never ever been on my bucket list. We all have different motivations, but that one doesn't fly here. It is just not on my radar. (I'm trying to think up a few more metaphors but the well seems to have run dry at the moment.)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I watch fewer and fewer car based channels. I find most to be self-serving. Many to be formulaic. I find Nick's to be more the exception than the typical drivel.

One of the worst offenders is The Straight Pipes. Horrendous.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I personally have communicated with Nick on several occasions and I appreciate his straightforward/honest approach. I enjoy his videos except when I see Tui walking about in his 911......I cringe. I also do not appreciate his method of car detailing.:eek: Though, he has a great sense of humor and his videos are entertaining and informative.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I personally have communicated with Nick on several occasions and I appreciate his straightforward/honest approach. I enjoy his videos except when I see Tui walking about in his 911......I cringe. I also do not appreciate his method of car detailing.:eek: Though, he has a great sense of humor and his videos are entertaining and informative.

Yes he does have a more practical attitude towards his use of his Porsche, but I actually find it refreshing watching someone who does not care that much about how his detailing is done and whether he has a dog in the car. And to be honest I think his use of the car mimics more closely what the car actually was designed for, despite many treating it like it like the paintwork is fragile.

I will however not follow his example on detailing, but it is good to see alternatives, a dog in my car however will not be as unlikely, although probably not as unsupervised as Tui, who as I recall has locked Nick out of the car on several occasions :laugh:

·
Registered
720 Posts
……...I enjoy his videos except when I see Tui walking about in his 911......I cringe...…..
This car was parked in the paddock near mine at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix last Summer. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
718 owners.....my personal opinion is that we have chosen a model that is under appreciated and I'm ok with that. I have owned mine for one year as of today and I have yet to come across another one in my city. Having something unique is a part of the enjoyment of ownership so far. The driving capability and performance is astounding in my humble opinion for the price point. The fit and finish and build quality is truly special. I have the base model with very few options and YES..it has a manual. I feel like I have a secret and driving this car as much as possible makes me feel special. That's hard to put a price on.

BTW - I reached out to Nick Murray when I was purchasing the car a year or so ago...He was very helpful in guiding me on getting the appropriate discount from the dealer. He knows his stuff and i support his channel.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts