Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I can understand why some folks find him entertaining. I used to think he was funny but then I decided he was just so careless with the "facts" rather than his opinion, I found it silly to listen to him. Just too much misinformation.

They final straw was when he did a showroom review of some cars at the local dealer and couldn't even get the price right. He stated the asking price of a "used" 911R was actually the MSRP price. ( and was off by ~$100k) This is a pretty easy fact to get right, or even edit out if you find you made a mistake. In the end, I decided he was just a waste of time.

( And how can you take anybody seriously who DE's with a roof rack on his Porsche? Goofy and lazy...)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Agreed with MrMCarpe. I have a base Boxster on order configured with "exactly" the options I want. :) Power and torque to weight ratio are perfect for the street, IMHO. 0:) I like the fact that this car is still smallish, has resisted the urge to grow grow grow, and is a "curve monster". Only 3 more months :crying:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not even going to waste my time watching another Nick Murray Video.

It's clear that Nick is the archetype of a person who buys a sports car for the brand/image. He is not what i would call either an enthusiast or a purist but more seeker of a fashion accessory. He also is not very concerned with technical or engineering details but more into color coordination or obsessing over what wheels best match his eyeglasses. In summary, probably the opposite of my perspective.

By the way, I frequent the same dealer he goes to. The first thing they will tell you is that the Boxster/Cayman have never been particularly good sellers around here. 911's move easily and it's harder to move the 718. But this has been the case around here even with the 981 and 987. Most people around here want a 911 not just a Porsche sports car. I am an outlier in that I own both a 718 and 987.

I was out on Sunday and passed two GT3s and a GT3 RS. GT3's are a dime a dozen around here. Seems like it is the variant I see most often. I can say with some certainty, I was having just as much fun as they were. At the track, I see more base and S variants than GT3s. I don't hear anybody getting bent out of shape or whining about what the "other guy" is driving.
No, it's not clear. I think you're thinking of the wrong Nick Murray. YouTuber Nick Murray has contributed more positive, factual, and useful information about the Porsche brand to viewers than most anyone out there. Nick is, with maybe the exception of Saabkyle04 (excellent), the most comprehensive reviewer worthy of a listen. Check the number of his responses, and the enthusiasm exuded in those comments.
Fact is, and I know it's tough to swallow, the 718, although superior to the previous generation Cayman/ Boxster, sans the sound, is not selling as well here in the US. It's the 4-banger, and it's associated sound. End of story. Facts speak truth. Now if you want, and for lack of a better word - obnoxious, stick with the smug, aloof, full of himself, pre-Madonna, Chris Harris. And you're wrong; Nick takes plenty of time to discuss the technical and engineering aspects of these cars, and very likely knows much more than the dealers. And what's wrong with obsessing over colors, trims, and wheels, on a say, $90,000 sports car? Nothing. Check out the plethora of threads and comments on this board regarding these topics, and be amazed. You just don't like Nick.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Of course I don’t like Nick... because I think his reviews are vacuous*.

I prefer Autogefuhl and Matt Farrah. Chris Harris I can take or leave. However I do find that his reviews aren’t so informative for long term ownership rather than a quick jaunt around a track, once in a while.

I’ll stick with my view that Nick Murray knows very little about Porsches and probably cars in general. Oh,...and the clown took his car to DE with a roof rack on it. Let’s say that was just stupid and irresponsible. He’s a poster child for jokes about Porsche owners.

Luckily, the last I have checked, he had given up on Porsche sports cars, and decided to get an SUV. Considering he seems to pick lemons that might be a good thing. Hopefully his SUV doesn’t cause him as many issues.

*having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless.

From Merriam-Webster:
vacuous
adjective
vac·u·ous | \ ˈva-kyə-wəs \
Definition of vacuous

1: emptied of or lacking content
2: marked by lack of ideas or intelligence : STUPID, INANE
3: devoid of serious occupation : IDLE

·
Registered
24 Posts
Of course I don’t like Nick... because I think his reviews are vacuous.

I prefer Autogefuhl and Matt Farrah. Chris Harris I could take or leave. However I do find that his reviews aren’t so informative for long term ownership rather than a quick jaunt around a track, once in a while.

I’ll stick with my view that Nick Murray knows very little about Porsches and probably cars in general. Oh,...and the clown took his car to DE with a roof rack on it. Let’s say that was just stupid and irresponsible. He’s a poster child for jokes about Porsche owners.

Luckily, the last I have checked, he had given up on Porsche sports cars, and decided to get an SUV. Considering he seems to pick lemons that seems like a a good thing. Hopefully his SUV doesn’t cause him as many issues.
Obviously you haven't checked in a while. Nick just bought a Macan S, posted a review, and now plans to buy the 2020 Macan turbo. He hasn't given up on Porsche sport cars as the Macan is widely considered to be the best sports-like driving SUV on the market, not to mention Porsche's best selling vehicle. Read the reviews. So you're "lemon" argument goes nowhere. Roof rack to DE? DE? Explain DE, so maybe I might agree with something you're trying to say. In any event, Nick rubs you the wrong way, and so it goes. But know that despite what you think and feel, Nick is well regarded in Porsche's circles. And so that goes. I didn't mention Thomas from Autogefuhl in my previous post. He's bottom line excellent. And for future reference, regarding you're use of the word "vacuous" to describe Nick, here's the definition. You couldn't be further from the truth...

vac·u·ous:

Having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless.
He has a vacuous smile"

blank, vacant, expressionless, deadpan, inscrutable, inexpressive, poker-faced, emotionless, impassive, absent, absentminded, uninterested, empty, glassy, stony, wooden, motionless, lifeless, inanimate
"he had a vacuous expression on his face"

·
Registered
243 Posts
Think the point has been missed a bit, Semitone said "I think his reviews are vacuous" which is simply stating an opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Think the point has been missed a bit, Semitone said "I think his reviews are vacuous" which is simply stating an opinion.
No point missed here. You're right, it's his opinion, to which I strongly disagree, because of his use of the word "vacuous", and it's definition. Nick Murray's reviews are not (blank, vacant, expressionless, deadpan, inscrutable, inexpressive, poker-faced, emotionless, impassive, absent, absentminded, uninterested, empty, glassy, stony, wooden, motionless, lifeless, inanimate). Semi would be hard pressed to prove that Nick's reviews are vacuous, given Nick's high regard in the Porsche community. I form opinions using facts and data. Semi relies on emotion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own Macan GTS. It is not a sports car. It is fun to take to Home Depot and pick up mulch.
Nice. Would love to see it. I looked for pictures in your profile, as I always look for other owner's ideas, and this message from the forum came up: "This member limits who may view their full profile." humm. Are you an undercover Porsche Policeman? ha. I know it's not a "sports car", as already stated. I stated "the Macan is widely considered to be the best sports-like driving SUV on the market, not to mention Porsche's best selling vehicle. Sports-like. Sports-like.... Those are the operative words.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Opinions may differ as they often do but I have to say I fully agree with @Anthonyf202!. What I perceive in my interactions with Nick and the videos he has posted is both honor and integrity. I have the utmost respect for Nick because I know he endeavors to always provide the best advice to help others and adroitly and consistently avoids the shill pitfall so rampant in the automotive world.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I stated my opinion six months ago and I haven’t looked at a NM video since. Obviously because I couldn’t care less.

I did admit that he is somewhat entertaining and funny but made it clear that his facts are not well researched. Whether it is something that requires knowing the difference between faux suede or Alcantara ( which requires doing some research) or even relaying a price accurately from a local dealer ( which is pretty easy not to get wrong, well at least not off by over six figures, LOL), his research is sloppy and careless.

It is a shoot from the hip approach, though nothing wrong with it as entertainment or opinion, it is far from being authoritative or even particularly informative. Information and mis-information are not the same thing.

He’s just one more guy yapping on YouTube. I watch a few of them.

I’m not impugning his honesty or integrity just his attention to detail and accuracy.

I’ve moved on from watching his reviews just as I am moving on from debating his reviews...

@Anthonyf202! ...You can stay here and debate yourself over “ sports-like” ,the perception/definition of “vacuous”, or Porsche selling a lot of SUVs ( which by the way has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the current conversation) you are just going to have to do it without wasting my time.

Since you seem so perturbed by my use of the term “vacuous” above, I edited my post with your assistance and included the definition. Thank you.

·
Registered
539 Posts
"This member limits who may view their full profile." humm. Are you an undercover Porsche Policeman?

No I’m not a Porsche Policeman...I just find it creepy to have strangers poking around looking for more personal information.

It’s a black Macan GTS. Pretty sure you can figure out what that looks like without a photo. Try the Porsche configurator. I think Nick may have a tutorial on using it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
No I’m not a Porsche Policeman...I just find it creepy to have strangers poking around looking for more personal information.

It’s a black Macan GTS. Pretty sure you can figure out what that looks like without a photo. Try the Porsche configurator. I think Nick may have a tutorial on using it.
Fully agree. Leave the snooping for Google.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Here we go again.

I remembered this video from when I was shopping for the Cayman. The first thing I noticed was that he had his dog in the car. I have a small dog, who is the best dog in the world, but he is never getting in the Porsche (not even someone else's) unless it is literally an emergency. That turned me off straight away.

But I went back and watched it again, before commenting, just to be fair.

A mere 42 seconds into his 718 analysis, he starts grousing about his 911 woes. His 911 woes have nothing to do with 718 sales, yet there they are. Freud told us why. The video is made for his woes. The 718 is such a fine car that he cannot help but praise it over and over again - in a video that's supposed to be about it flopping. He even goes so far as noting that all sports car sales being down offers a likely reason for the supposed "flop". So why is this video being made again? Oh yeah, his 911 is a lemon.

Nick flashes a small chart with a single year's sales listed. Boon or bust is not defined by a single year: statistics fail.

So I did Nick's homework for him. Comparing each generation's second year U.S. sales figures, we have:
986 - 9696
987.1 - 4503
987.2 - 3499
981 - 7292
982 - 5276
From 987.2 on, the figures reflect combined Boxster & Cayman sales, since they share the same platform and Nick lumped the 718s together as a "flop".

Scanning the list we see that sales of the 987.1 were less than half those of the 986. I searched Nick's channel for a video chronicling the "sales flop" of the 987.1, but I guess he missed that one.

We also see the worst second year performance is not the 718, but the 987.2, with its all-new flat six.

I searched Nick's channel for a video chronicling the "sales flop" of the 987 refresh, but I guess he missed that one too.

I am sick of these people and their click-bait 718 bashing.:mad:

Reactions: Viffermike

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nick is clearly a polarising figure and it would appear as if his sense of humour bypasses many.

Why get so hung up on whether he allows his dog in his car? It's his car and he is free to do what he wants with it, just as it's your car and you are free to do what you want with it.

Like Nick I have a dog and like Nick our dog is effectively our only child; my 911 is also my only car and while I love my car, I love my dog more and have no problem with having him in my car (and I am very particular about how my car looks). Like Nick I also don't give a toss what other people think of this. Maybe it's because we are both Kiwis, either way it just doesn't bug me...

I would also suggest that viewing second year sales without the context of the first year sales is no better than Nick's analysis - you are still only looking at a single year of sales data per generation. How does the second year data compare to year one and year three data? What might be more valuable is comparing sales patterns and trends of each generation over a number of years as well as looking for overall patterns across all the data sets. Including control data of some sort would also be useful.

Lastly, Nick doesn't claim to be a serious journalist or car reviewer and quite clearly states his videos are purely for entertainment. So if you are looking for more serious journalism or reviews on youtube then you would be well served to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So if you are looking for more serious journalism or reviews on youtube then you would be well served to look elsewhere.
Keep in mind that I made my comments in the context of this forum - the OP had this to say: "Another great YouTube video from Nick Murray"
As you already know, I do not consider this a great youtube video. That would be true no matter who made it.
I would also suggest that viewing second year sales without the context of the first year sales is no better than Nick's analysis
Nick doesn't do an analysis. That's the whole point. His video title is click-bait. This is evidenced by his comment section, where his prediction that it would be dominated by blaming the use of 4-cylinders comes through almost unceasingly.

I chose sales figures that are representative on a consistent basis, i.e., they all are at the same point in a design's life cycle across its history and they all represent full-year sales. The 718's life cycle is not complete, there would be GT4/Spyder variants involved, and other factors. There is way too much involved for a simple forum post to be a thorough analysis. I made two points with the data: 1) Nick didn't research this; 2) There are other points in the 98x's history where anyone could say "the new model flopped!" QED

If you enjoyed that video, that's fine with me. I'm sure lots of people did. I just wasn't one of them. I'll say this: The guy's demeanor is pleasing, quite a refreshing contrast to the know-it-alls like Chris Harris.

Reactions: Anthonyf202!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Wow, tender spot on this subject for some. Seems the majority don't care what he says. For that matter, most media (of any form) can be ignored for what it is - biased information one way or the other. Do some research and draw conclusions after careful consideration of vetted facts. The scientific method is a wonderful thing if implemented. It takes some time to get there. No disrepect to anyone intended.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts